Page 118 of 284 FirstFirst ... 1868108116117118119120128168218 ... LastLast
Results 1,756 to 1,770 of 4246

Thread: **Official** New Zealand in South Africa

Quote Originally Posted by SeamUp View Post
    I would go with this for sure. It was my thinking as well.

Obviously a 'quality' issue but at least it wasn't one of those collapses where the batsmen just gave the bowlers wickets. But I guess a collapse is just collapse but if I was Kiwi I would have hated to see a Brad Haddin type dismissal even more.
    I haven't yet seen any of the game (am about to watch highlights) but I do get the impression that it was a superb spell by Philander. That said though, 45 all out is just ridiculous. That's one of the problems with the NZ batsmen - bowl them a decent ball and you'll get them out, because we don't have the technique to deal with it.

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Meridio View Post
    Yes, this.

IMO, this is the number one reason why we are so **** at the moment - we do the basics terribly. All the good players, across all sports, do the basics exceptionally well, and that's what makes them so good. All the NZ players can do the little things - they can reverse sweep, play scoop shots, hit over cover, do diving backhand flicks in the field etc. - but while being able to do those things is good, they're the things that you might do once a game, if that. We fail at the things you need to do constantly - we can't defend, play with hard hands, fall over their front feet, hit the ball at catchable height, drop regulation catches in the slips etc etc etc.

It's one of my biggest gripes about coaching in NZ. There's a huge focus on the 1% things, and not enough on the 40% things. I've lost count of the number of team talks, coach talks etc I've had where we've been told to concentrate on the little things and then the big things will take care of themselves...it doesn't work like that. Get the basics right first.
    Personally, as a youth coach, I'd class "doing the little things right" as "doing the basics" - taking catches, throwing accurately, avoiding misfields, playing straight, calling properly when you run.

None of that nonsense! It's like when someone tries three rainbow flicks in the first five minutes of a football game, loses the ball three times, and wonders why you've subbed him off.
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

U19 12th Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Mate, this is the ****test post. Jono has always been very critical of the Nine commentary team, not to the mention the fact that he supports India anyway FFS. Stop warmongering.
    Good grief.

The guy basically calls all of a countries commentators extremely poor and bias yet I am the one warmongering

Does one have to be from a certain country to get liberties, I have seen this happen before.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Pickup View Post
    Personally, as a youth coach, I'd class "doing the little things right" as "doing the basics" - taking catches, throwing accurately, avoiding misfields, playing straight, calling properly when you run.

None of that nonsense! It's like when someone tries three rainbow flicks in the first five minutes of a football game, loses the ball three times, and wonders why you've subbed him off.
    Well, that makes sense, but I don't think of those things as little things - they're the fundamentals, so they're the big things.

Anyway, when summer over here starts it will be interesting to see how different it is to back home. I definitely think that we concentrate on the wrong things - I've had training sessions where we've had to do things like only hitting backward of square, yet I can't think of many where I've had to actually concentrate on building an innings, playing straight etc.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Heboric View Post
    Good grief.

The guy basically calls all of a countries commentators extremely poor and bias yet I am the one warmongering

Does one have to be from a certain country to get liberties, I have seen this happen before.
    Nah, piss off. The quality of Channel 9's commentary team has absolutely **** all to do with the fact that South Africa's commentators, Pollock excepted, are all ****ing terrible.

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
    NZ will do better in there second innings. Everything worked for SA in the morning and the conditions did favor the bowling team. I will predict them to lose by an innings but score at least 200.

It is strange if you look at the stats where teams where bowled out for less then 50. Out of the 19 times it happened, 5 of them was at Cape Town.

Quote Originally Posted by SeamUp View Post
    Fair enough. Think he was one of those players that has to work hard to gain total respect. He did that with me.
    He always has to prove people wrong ala Ashwell prince.

State Captain
    On a ground where a side scored 47 only 14 months ago (and the other side made 96) against the identical bowling line-up that caused that destruction, on a pitch that mirrors his side's greenness in terms of batting, choosing to bat first ranks as one of the most inexcusable decisions in living memory.

If you can smell the hops in Cape Town you bowl first...Brendon must've been drunk on the fumes.

I'm as disappointed in our effort as the next guy but if we were inserted on that and fell over for 45, fair enough. But we organised our own slaughter. This management group is making mistake after mistake. Any wonder with a rookie coach at the helm

State Vice-Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    Nah, piss off. The quality of Channel 9's commentary team has absolutely **** all to do with the fact that South Africa's commentators, Pollock excepted, are all ****ing terrible.
    Robin Jackman is good. However he is fighting cancer or something. Not sure anymore.

International Captain wellAlbidarned's Avatar
    Brilliant, so now we've also discovered that we're playing this match with only two genuine pace options. Way to play to our only strength.
    Exit pursuing a beer

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveNZ View Post
    On a ground where a side scored 47 only 14 months ago (and the other side made 96) against the identical bowling line-up that caused that destruction, on a pitch that mirrors his side's greenness in terms of batting, choosing to bat first ranks as one of the most inexcusable decisions in living memory.
    If Graham had won the coin toss he would have elected to bat too, but also stated it will be "tough" the first session.

State Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiced View Post
    If Graham had won the coin toss he would have elected to bat too, but also stated it will be "tough" the first session.
    Difference being SA have world-class batsmen capable of weathering the sort of stuff that was dished out in the first session. We do not.

Any little advantage we could give our bowlers, we had to take. And that's clearly going to come on the first morning. McCullum said he knew the first hour/session would be tough. I'm certain he also knows our batsmen are incapable of getting through that against a line-up of the likes of Morkel, Steyn and especially Philander on that deck. But he decided to be bullish, to our detriment. Having a bold approach to captaincy is all good but he's doing with 3-7 off suit as opposed to pocket queens, and bluffing don't work in the international cricket game.

I've heard the argument that Philander just bowled a brilliant spell and the NZ batsmen didn't give away their wickets.

Sorry, but lacking the ability to block straight deliveries (McCullum, Williamson) is poor batting. Edging to slip at a good length outside off (Franklin) when the bowler is angling across you is poor batting.

Watling and Bracewell got unplayable deliveries.

Only Flynn showed enough technique to look like being able to bat against good bowling.

International Regular NasserFan207's Avatar
    Meh, reckon you bat first probably 90% of the time in cricket. Find it hard to criticise Mccullum on that front, particularly being the first test. Maybe if it was the second test after a hammering you would do it, but bowling first on the first morning is like giving up pre-series. You may as well not even turn up if you don't think you can win.
    Last edited by NasserFan207; 02-01-2013 at 03:28 PM.
    Batsman I tolerate: V. Richards, S. Tendulkar, E. Morgan, N. Hussain. KEVIN O F******* BRIEN

International Captain wellAlbidarned's Avatar
    this was a 10% situation for sure. I don't really understand what's so defensive about bowling first anyway, especially on a spicy deck like this.

Thread Information