• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand in South Africa

M0rphin3

International Debutant
Played Brownlie. Don't rate him all that high, but bloody good innings, that.

Wagner in, Martin out.

Last edited:

ohnoitsyou

International Regular
Time for my rant thats been building for the last few days :happy:, will keep it to the short side

Think i will start with the captaincy, McCullum doesn't have a ****ing clue. I mean when your hunting for wickets you put on your best bowlers. Sure Taylor's bowling changes weren't always perfect, but McCullum has earned the right to be criticized by replacing him :laugh:. I know for certain that Taylor would have sent Southee in to wrap up the middle/lower order once we got the breakthrough wickets. Sure we dont have either, but Boult is our spearhead now, and he was picking up big wickets. Persisting with whoever he was bowling (jeets and martin i think?) just screamed defeatist by McCullum. Sure the game was lost, but we are NZ cricket ffs, we are used to losing. Every game we need to go out there to win, but if it doesn't need likely, we need to put up the best performance we can.

Next up, wtf are we doing playing a spinner like jeets. With our current squad, whatever team we field will most likely consist of 4 bowlers, an allrounder and williamson and guptill, who bowl decent part time spin. With 5 bowlerers + extras, we dont exactly need someone to bowl long spells, if we played 7 bat + 4 bowl, yes then a spinner would be crucial. Neither Jeets or B martin are anywhere near close to our top 5 bowlers so there is no reason we should play them unless its a turning pitch, but even then the spinner needs to bowl tightly for the first few days, and that wont happen with Jeets, he will be taken to the boundary time after time, without picking up many wickets. Sure on day 5 he might do well, but when your useless for the other four days it isnt worth it. Kind of makes me wish for Vettori back, at least he could bowl tightly and bat a little bit.

Dont really need to go on about franklin apart from saying he is a useless ****, but while he continues to pick up occasional big wickets and Bondy thinks he can bring his bowling up to scratch he will continue to be picked. Speaking of Bond, what a legend, great bowler even better coach, he is bringing along our pace prospects amazing. Sadly our batting coach isn't up to the same standard. His batting average speaks for itself. The argument that good players don't necessarily make good coaches is bs for skill coaches (and if your last name is Hesson). Martin Crowe knows what it is like to go out and bat at the crease against some of the best bowlers in the world, and the skills and mentality required to survive. Whats his face only has a textbook made decades ago, and players like Amla and many others show that it is completely outdated. Bring in Crowe or a decent foreigner and our batsmen might start improving. Nothing to say about Hesson except jump in a well and drown.

Really disappointed with Guptill's form, he is just not there mentally. A couple of county and domestic seasons, and then an easy tour against a minnow would be ideal to get his confidence back, which should improve his playing immensely.

For the immediate future either Flynn or Watling need to step up to opening, both have ideal temperaments and as good as a technique as can be found in NZ. Sure it would be a big workload for Watling, but its not much different from batting through the tail and immediately keeping afterwards, and McCullum could always take the gloves for 20-40 overs to give him a break, MC has to be good for something except a few 50s.

Bracewell is improving but he has to make away with that back of the length seamer nonsense. Back of the length seamers tend to get their wickets when they pitch it up a bit anyways :laugh:

Bondy is on the right track with keeping our test bowlers away from a few LO games, but imo he needs to take it further, keep blooding players in T20, and serious bowlers playing the longer forms.

Martin sadly has booked himself a spot in the next game, dont see him getting wickets against batters determined to stay in though.

So for the next game i want to see
McCullum
Guptill
Williamson
Brownlie
Flynn
Watling
Munro
Wagner
Bracewell
Boult
McClenaghan

Waggy definetely needs another game, if only to prove that he is **** and shoudnt be in the squad. McClen deserves a go as well, dont see him getting one, but some pace and aggresion would be great. Munro to do something hopefully. Not sure which one to be Boults new ball partner, but there is a lot of swinging potential there.
Or if the pitch is a turner (i dont check these things out until the game starts :unsure:)

McCullum
Guptill
Williamson
Brownlie
Flynn
Watling
Munro
B Martin
Wagner
Bracewell
Boult
Wow a tail that can actually bat incredible! B Martin might not be the greatest but he should get a go seeing how average has been, would be a great reward for a long service to domestic cricket and should be able to keep things tight, even if his skidding style is unlikely to get wickets

jcas0167

International Debutant
In the final test last season against South Africa at the Basin Reserve, Flynn was brought in and did reasonably well opening with Guptill in the first innings. I thought Flynn looked good there, playing the nuggety left hander role ala Justin Langer. I can't remember why he went back to the middle order but I think he should switch places with either Guptill or McCullum.

I'd like to see Bruce Martin get an opportunity. I think he would offer a more attacking spin option. Also, it's terrible for morale to see a guy backing away like Patel was.

Finally, if Wagner has worked with Bond and got back to the pace he had when he rolled Wellington I'd put him in ahead of Bracewell.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Marks out of 10 for NZ

Guptil 0 (never handed out a zero before)
McCullum 1 (Yeah he got a 50 and I would have given him 4 or 5 but his decision to bat first was not a good start to his captaincy)
Williamson 2
Brownlie 6 (even with a ton he got a duck in the first dig)
Flynn 1
Watling 3
Franklin 1
Bracewell 3
Patel 1
Boult 7
Martin 6

Both Boult and Martin did reasonably well.

Briony

International Debutant
Just heard Doull interviewed saying that there's been a massive reaction back home but predicts that all the key absentees will return for the England series.

Last edited:

Mike5181

International Captain
Marks out of 10 for NZ

Guptil 0 (never handed out a zero before)
McCullum 1 (Yeah he got a 50 and I would have given him 4 or 5 but his decision to bat first was not a good start to his captaincy)
Williamson 2
Brownlie 6 (even with a ton he got a duck in the first dig)
Flynn 1
Watling 3
Franklin 1
Bracewell 3
Patel 1
Boult 7
Martin 6

Both Boult and Martin did reasonably well.
Guptil 0 (terrible, can't say anything positive about his performance)
McCullum 5 (I didn't find his bat first decision as bad as some, South Africa showed runs could be scored in the same conditions little over 19 overs later. Failed in his first effort with the bat, but his second innings was impressive. We need to see more of the same.)
Williamson 2
Brownlie 7.5 (Can't give a guy with a century a 6 imo. He had some luck, and looked dodgy at times against spin. There's some potential there though. Hopefully this is the start of a good run of form. He probably won't mind playing England at home either.)
Flynn 1 (Disappointed tbh. May find it hard to stay in the team if he doesn't score runs in the second test.)
Watling 5 (barely noticed him with the gloves which is always a good sign. Got an awesome delivery in the first innings, but played a patient innings the second time around. Looks the goods imo. Capable of averaging 35 as a keeper down in that 6-7 position.)
Franklin 2 (bowled ok, still doesn't contribute nearly enough to justify his place in the side.)
Bracewell 3
Patel 1 (Innocuous most of the time, and didn't show much courage with the bat)
Boult 7 (Bowled reasonably well. Wayward at times, but the best of the bowlers.)
Martin 4 (Looks worse than I thought he would. I'm not giving him a good rating based on a couple of wickets that South Africa basically gifted him. Any other day, and AB etc wouldn't have been playing so reckless. Should drop out for Wagner, but won't.)

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I just watched the highlights of the second session. Got to see the backing away for the first time. On one hand it looked terrible. On the other hand if Franklin at number 7 couldn't really handle Steyn's short pitched bowling I am not sure how Patel was supposed to manage it.

Anyway - I hope Patel never bats above 10 in the order again. He is not a test match number 9.

Flem274*

123/5
Time for my rant thats been building for the last few days :happy:, will keep it to the short side

Think i will start with the captaincy, McCullum doesn't have a ****ing clue. I mean when your hunting for wickets you put on your best bowlers. Sure Taylor's bowling changes weren't always perfect, but McCullum has earned the right to be criticized by replacing him :laugh:. I know for certain that Taylor would have sent Southee in to wrap up the middle/lower order once we got the breakthrough wickets. Sure we dont have either, but Boult is our spearhead now, and he was picking up big wickets. Persisting with whoever he was bowling (jeets and martin i think?) just screamed defeatist by McCullum. Sure the game was lost, but we are NZ cricket ffs, we are used to losing. Every game we need to go out there to win, but if it doesn't need likely, we need to put up the best performance we can.

Next up, wtf are we doing playing a spinner like jeets. With our current squad, whatever team we field will most likely consist of 4 bowlers, an allrounder and williamson and guptill, who bowl decent part time spin. With 5 bowlerers + extras, we dont exactly need someone to bowl long spells, if we played 7 bat + 4 bowl, yes then a spinner would be crucial. Neither Jeets or B martin are anywhere near close to our top 5 bowlers so there is no reason we should play them unless its a turning pitch, but even then the spinner needs to bowl tightly for the first few days, and that wont happen with Jeets, he will be taken to the boundary time after time, without picking up many wickets. Sure on day 5 he might do well, but when your useless for the other four days it isnt worth it. Kind of makes me wish for Vettori back, at least he could bowl tightly and bat a little bit.

Dont really need to go on about franklin apart from saying he is a useless ****, but while he continues to pick up occasional big wickets and Bondy thinks he can bring his bowling up to scratch he will continue to be picked. Speaking of Bond, what a legend, great bowler even better coach, he is bringing along our pace prospects amazing. Sadly our batting coach isn't up to the same standard. His batting average speaks for itself. The argument that good players don't necessarily make good coaches is bs for skill coaches (and if your last name is Hesson). Martin Crowe knows what it is like to go out and bat at the crease against some of the best bowlers in the world, and the skills and mentality required to survive. Whats his face only has a textbook made decades ago, and players like Amla and many others show that it is completely outdated. Bring in Crowe or a decent foreigner and our batsmen might start improving. Nothing to say about Hesson except jump in a well and drown.

Really disappointed with Guptill's form, he is just not there mentally. A couple of county and domestic seasons, and then an easy tour against a minnow would be ideal to get his confidence back, which should improve his playing immensely.

For the immediate future either Flynn or Watling need to step up to opening, both have ideal temperaments and as good as a technique as can be found in NZ. Sure it would be a big workload for Watling, but its not much different from batting through the tail and immediately keeping afterwards, and McCullum could always take the gloves for 20-40 overs to give him a break, MC has to be good for something except a few 50s.

Bracewell is improving but he has to make away with that back of the length seamer nonsense. Back of the length seamers tend to get their wickets when they pitch it up a bit anyways :laugh:

Bondy is on the right track with keeping our test bowlers away from a few LO games, but imo he needs to take it further, keep blooding players in T20, and serious bowlers playing the longer forms.

Martin sadly has booked himself a spot in the next game, dont see him getting wickets against batters determined to stay in though.

So for the next game i want to see
McCullum
Guptill
Williamson
Brownlie
Flynn
Watling
Munro
Wagner
Bracewell
Boult
McClenaghan

Waggy definetely needs another game, if only to prove that he is **** and shoudnt be in the squad. McClen deserves a go as well, dont see him getting one, but some pace and aggresion would be great. Munro to do something hopefully. Not sure which one to be Boults new ball partner, but there is a lot of swinging potential there.
Or if the pitch is a turner (i dont check these things out until the game starts :unsure:)

McCullum
Guptill
Williamson
Brownlie
Flynn
Watling
Munro
B Martin
Wagner
Bracewell
Boult
Wow a tail that can actually bat incredible! B Martin might not be the greatest but he should get a go seeing how average has been, would be a great reward for a long service to domestic cricket and should be able to keep things tight, even if his skidding style is unlikely to get wickets
Solid effort. 7/10.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
I thought one of the SA posters just said that the next pitch will take spin.
Maybe they're just saying that because they really want us to play jeets /conspiracykeanu.jpg

But seriously, I don't think SA is capable of producing a pitch with enough purchase to make jeets a genuine threat.