• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand in South Africa

M0rphin3

International Debutant
Southee as captain - when I thought I'd seen everything. What was wrong with Kaneh being vice exactly? He did OK IIRC.

SeamUp

International Coach
Looks like they might turn up on one of those lucky days tomorrow for the warm-up game in Durban when it doesn't rain. Damn tropical weather.

Binkley

U19 Captain
You don't? :blink:
He's a member of the Hesson boys club. The vice captaincy is his 30 pieces of silver.
I can't see Southee being the type to back-stab people or join a clique. I have never met him, but my family knows his and they are pretty typical farmers. A bit blunt and opinionated, but if they are unhappy they will tell you that to your face. If Tim is like the rest of his clan then he was probably fairly open with any unhappiness about Ross' captaincy, but I doubt he would have plotted to get rid of him.

The more I think about it, the more I am convinced that the players themselves didn't have much to do with Ross' knifing at all. Hesson seemed pretty set on getting rid of Taylor from day one.

BeeGee

International Captain
I can't see Southee being the type to back-stab people or join a clique. I have never met him, but my family knows his and they are pretty typical farmers. A bit blunt and opinionated, but if they are unhappy they will tell you that to your face. If Tim is like the rest of his clan then he was probably fairly open with any unhappiness about Ross' captaincy, but I doubt he would have plotted to get rid of him.

The more I think about it, the more I am convinced that the players themselves didn't have much to do with Ross' knifing at all. Hesson seemed pretty set on getting rid of Taylor from day one.
Yeah, look, I'm being deliberately blunt and over the top in my criticism because I'm extremely angry at what has happened and what is going to continue to happen for the foreseeable future.

It wasn't long ago that Southee was carrying on with a lady on an airliner in such a way as to cause fellow passengers to complain and for Southee to be censured by Taylor. Does that sound like potential captain material? Why is Southee suddenly a better vice captain candidate than Williamson? Why is NcCullum suddenly a vice captain candidate for the LO team?

It's Turner and Germon all over again. Only worse.

Binkley

U19 Captain
Yeah, look, I'm being deliberately blunt and over the top in my criticism because I'm extremely angry at what has happened and what is going to continue to happen for the foreseeable future.

It wasn't long ago that Southee was carrying on with a lady on an airliner in such a way as to cause fellow passengers to complain and for Southee to be censured by Taylor. Does that sound like potential captain material? Why is Southee suddenly a better vice captain candidate than Williamson? Why is NcCullum suddenly a vice captain candidate for the LO team?

It's Turner and Germon all over again. Only worse.
I'm angry too. The whole saga has been a fiasco from start to finish, and one that could easily have been avoided if we had anyone in the management, governance or coaching level with even an ounce of common sense and decency.

I also agree that there are plenty of players who stand in front of Southee in the queue for captaincy. Like the guy who has captained the national team before (Williamson). And anyone else who has actually captained a FC team at least once in their career.

Blain

U19 Captain
I bet ya Southee hasn't captained a team for a long time. Probably not at all.

Hesson has a thing in his head about the captain being a well like guy off the field imo. A captain should be respected and lead at the front, on the field. Just because the guys like Tim Southee, doesn't make him a captain. Williamson is easily the next cab of the rank, but he probably spends to much time in the nets and not enough time on the piss for Hesson's liking.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
regardless of whether he makes a good captain or not, he's in the form of his life. Legitimate claim to being one of the form fast bowlers in the world right now and they want to complicate that?

TBH I wouldn't be doing anything at all that might compromise his aggression.

If that means him getting angry when Taylor tells him to not bowl ****, well I'm not sure why you'd want to challenge that formula after the recent few months.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Is it confirmed that Southee is the vc for the test side, or is this still a rumour? If true, then that is just bizarre. Williamson was captain of the u19's (a side which featured several current BC's), of ND (a side which featured several current BC's) and briefly the NZ ODI side. I don't buy it being because Williamson's place in the side is uncertain. He just scored a 100 in his last match and has performed better than any other New Zealand number 3 since Fleming (not saying much, but it still counts). Even if his number 3 spot were in question (which it can't be any time soon, given the lack of viable replacements), Williamson would be more likely to drop down the order rather than drop out of the side altogether.

Bowlers almost never make good captains, and I've seen nothing from Southee in his career to date to suggest that he'd be likely to buck that trend. Maybe Hesson legitimately believes that Southee is captaincy material, but if this is true, it's very hard to see it as anything other than a calculated powerplay to entrench McCullum's position by filling the vc role with a supporter of his.

Ugh.

Last edited:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
lol that title "No Decision Yet"

reminds me of "Ross is Captain For Now"

David White has proven he knows less about what's happening in the team than Talkback Joe.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Just rumour. NZ Cricket have come out and said they don't know where the rumour came from and that it isn't true. Of course, they are about as trustworthy as Chris Martin's forward defense - so it could actually be true.

Black Caps Vice Captain: No Decision Yet | Stuff.co.nz
Phew, that makes me feel slightly better for the moment. But given that Hesson is the man who'll choose the vc, I guess we'll have to keep our fingers crossed a while longer.

jcas0167

International Debutant

sonnench

U19 12th Man
Anyone going to follow the practise 20/20 tonight?

I have work in the morning so probably cbf.

On holiday atm, so i'll be following it on cricinfo if i'm up. Wish they would televise the game, should be pretty close imo.

Was hoping Supersport would show it as I found a way to watch their stuff online, however it doesn't seem that they are.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Is it confirmed that Southee is the vc for the test side, or is this still a rumour? If true, then that is just bizarre. Williamson was captain of the u19's (a side which featured several current BC's), of ND (a side which featured several current BC's) and briefly the NZ ODI side. I don't buy it being because Williamson's place in the side is uncertain. He just scored a 100 in his last match and has performed better than any other New Zealand number 3 since Fleming (not saying much, but it still counts). Even if his number 3 spot were in question (which it can't be any time soon, given the lack of viable replacements), Williamson would be more likely to drop down the order rather than drop out of the side altogether.

Bowlers almost never make good captains, and I've seen nothing from Southee in his career to date to suggest that he'd be likely to buck that trend. Maybe Hesson legitimately believes that Southee is captaincy material, but if this is true, it's very hard to see it as anything other than a calculated powerplay to entrench McCullum's position by filling the vc role with a supporter of his.

Ugh.
Agree entirely. This was my reaction as well. Good thing it has been confirmed as a rumour.

Incidentally, what are peoples thoughts on how the captaincy will affect McCullum's batting? I can't help think it will stifle his natural game which I'm not sure will be a good thing.