• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand in South Africa

Marius

International Debutant
South Africa have announced their squads for the series against New Zealand.

Fresh faces in SA T20 squad | Sport24

I am actually extremely happy with the T20 team. Kinda surprised with some of the negative comments regarding the team selection. Can't wait for guys like Davids, de Kock, Morris and Phangiso to get a run, they all thoroughly deserve it. Also happy to see that we are persisting with Levi, the dude is well worth it, and has been scoring a bucket load of late. AB is in the squad, but won't play by the looks of it, so Faf is captain for the series. He has been around the squad long enough so I don't see the problem, and besides back in the school day he was bossing AB and Rudolph around as captain. Not a huge fan of Int T20, but this is actually our best team possible, and couldn't be happier that Amla and Kallis are sitting out. First time in a long time I'm actually excited about a T20 series.

Tahir dropped for Test squad | Sport24

Not as happy with the Test squad as I am with the T20 squad. Rudolph shouldn't be there full stop. Glad they are sticking with Elgar, and also happy with the Tahir dropping.
Overall, a pretty good squad I think.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member

I am actually extremely happy with the T20 team. Kinda surprised with some of the negative comments regarding the team selection. Can't wait for guys like Davids, de Kock, Morris and Phangiso to get a run, they all thoroughly deserve it. Also happy to see that we are persisting with Levi, the dude is well worth it, and has been scoring a bucket load of late. AB is in the squad, but won't play by the looks of it, so Faf is captain for the series. He has been around the squad long enough so I don't see the problem, and besides back in the school day he was bossing AB and Rudolph around as captain. Not a huge fan of Int T20, but this is actually our best team possible, and couldn't be happier that Amla and Kallis are sitting out. First time in a long time I'm actually excited about a T20 series.

Not as happy with the Test squad as I am with the T20 squad. Rudolph shouldn't be there full stop. Glad they are sticking with Elgar, and also happy with the Tahir dropping.
Pretty good.

TBH, I think Tahir would take more wickets against NZ than Peterson.

Marius

International Debutant
Pretty good.

TBH, I think Tahir would take more wickets against NZ than Peterson.
If Peterson even gets a bowl, by the time Steyn and Philander have finished their first spells, NZ will be 30/8, ready for Morkel to finish them off.

Tahir probably needs a spell back in FC cricket anyway, to get his confidence back.

LegendaryProtea

School Boy/Girl Captain

AB will play in the T20s; just taken the captaincy off him to lessen the workload. Could have done with him giving up the gloves to Quinton though. Who knows, maybe they will go that way but I reckon they want Quinton de Kock to settle in as a batsman first. All in all, a very exciting T20 squad with domestic performances being rightly rewarded.

As for Rudolph being dropped, who would you replace him with? There really aren't many candidates. Neither Rudolph or Elgar are Test-match class but with Duminy's injury, I don't see who else they can turn to. Quinton still needs another year of first-class cricket imo.

Neil Young

State Vice-Captain
I'm a big fan of the name 'Aaron Phangiso'. Got a certain je ne sais quoi about it.

edit: I see his middle name is 'Mpho'.

Is 'Aaron Mpho Phangiso' the best name ever to appear in int'l cricket?

Last edited:

KungFu_Kallis

International 12th Man
Any good bowlers? A little hard to believe Kleinveldt is Safrica's next best quick after the big 3.
Why so hard to believe? Had a shocker debut in Bris but bowled as well as anyone in Adelaide, troubling Clarke in the first innings and rock n rolling Oz top order in the 2nd.

SeamUp

International Coach

Decent mix there.

Hudders has already said that Elgar will get a run and Rudolph will be the standby batsman. Also glad with Tahir's dropping.

A 12-man SA 'A' or Invitational side to play in the T20 Warm-up on the 18th in PMB was also chosen.

Stiaan Van Zyl (Cobras)
Davy Jacobs (Warriors)
Mangaliso Mosehle (Titans)
Dane Vilas (+) (Cobras)
Vaughn Van Jaarsveld (Dolphins)
Justin Ontong (c) (Cobras)
David Wiese (Titans)
Roelof Van der Merwe (Titans)
Aaron Phangiso (Lions)
Hardus Viljoen (Lions)
Kyle Abbott (Dolphins)
Craig Alexander (Dolphins)

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I kinda don't think warm-up matches should be necessary at all in this case. All the players are either coming from series against Sri Lanka and India before that, or else the domestic season playing both 4 day cricket and t20s simultaneously.

I understand that the players want preparation but there's also a balance issue and cramming in series into a season. They'd do better to look on a case-by-case basis.

Especially the t20 stuff. a little silly IMO.

popepouri

State Vice-Captain
Decent mix there.

Hudders has already said that Elgar will get a run and Rudolph will be the standby batsman. Also glad with Tahir's dropping.

A 12-man SA 'A' or Invitational side to play in the T20 Warm-up on the 18th in PMB was also chosen.

Stiaan Van Zyl (Cobras)
Davy Jacobs (Warriors)
Mangaliso Mosehle (Titans)
Dane Vilas (+) (Cobras)
Vaughn Van Jaarsveld (Dolphins)
Justin Ontong (c) (Cobras)
David Wiese (Titans)
Roelof Van der Merwe (Titans)
Aaron Phangiso (Lions)
Hardus Viljoen (Lions)
Kyle Abbott (Dolphins)
Craig Alexander (Dolphins)
I reckon NZ will struggle with that.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Reports Ross won't play SA Tests, possibly on the news Southee is going to be vice-captain.

Leadership now determined by brazen intent and alpha dog proactiveness, Test sixes per 100 runs being a key measure.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I think McCullum will make a fantastic captain, but I don't understand the reason for giving Southee the vice captaincy.

Sure it's great that they want to give him more responsibility, so why not just give him some un-spoken senior player responsibility? Perhaps it's only for LO.

He needs to maintain his aggression in test cricket and I'm not sure that giving him extra responsibility is good for that.

Oh well.

Time to move on from the fiasco I think. I just want Taylor and Ryder back in the team and I want them all to do well.

ohnoitsyou

International Regular
I think McCullum will make a fantastic captain, but I don't understand the reason for giving Southee the vice captaincy.
Well they cant really bring Nat McCullum into the test side so the Hesson camp has to make do with their next biggest supporter:ph34r:
Realistically with Guptill being so out of form, the only guaranteed starters with enough Test experience are Williamson and Southee and untill Williamson settles in as a batsmen he wont be given a leadership role imo.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Would have to have a pretty bloody level head to even consider giving a fast bowler any sort of captaincy. So not Southee, in other words.

BeeGee

International Captain
Reports Ross won't play SA Tests, possibly on the news Southee is going to be vice-captain.

Leadership now determined by brazen intent and alpha dog proactiveness, Test sixes per 100 runs being a key measure.
Southee as vice captain? Beyond hilarious :laugh: