• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is this for real?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
As I said in the other thread, it's clearly a publicity stunt. The Big Bash starts this weekend and he's playing in it; what better way to get people to show up to the ground or tune on Foxtel than by giving them a bit of of Warne tease? If he's going to come out and make comments about still being up to it bowling wise at 43, people are going to want to have a look and make up their own minds.

He knows full well Clarke isn't going to ask him to come out of retirement; hell he probably told Clarke not to take it too seriously before he said it.

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
Warne has become sadly such a ****. Just want to use any means to stay in the news. Sad, but he has completely deevolved from the Warne we knew..

Or did he?

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
As I said in the other thread, it's clearly a publicity stunt. The Big Bash starts this weekend and he's playing in it; what better way to get people to show up to the ground or tune on Foxtel than by giving them a bit of of Warne tease? If he's going to come out and make comments about still being up to it bowling wise at 43, people are going to want to have a look and make up their own minds.

He knows full well Clarke isn't going to ask him to come out of retirement; hell he probably told Clarke not to take it too seriously before he said it.
This.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Pretty sure he made similar "would do it if asked" type comments during 10/11 before Lyon semi-answered the perennial Oz spinner question.

If he wasn't asked then he won't be asked now.

Personally I'd find it more interesting if someone like Hayden, Langer, Martyn or (more realistically) Katich said something about coming back, as batting's a more galring weakness for yer crims just now.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Pretty sure he made similar "would do it if asked" type comments during 10/11 before Lyon semi-answered the perennial Oz spinner question.

If he wasn't asked then he won't be asked now.

Personally I'd find it more interesting if someone like Hayden, Langer, Martyn or (more realistically) Katich said something about coming back, as batting's a more galring weakness for yer crims just now.
Yeah Katich still plays grade cricket, has a Big Bash contract and has just signed a county deal so he's definitely the most realistic of the lot; clearly still wants to play proper cricket at least even though he's retired from Australian First Class stuff. Unlike Warne though, Katich wouldn't even be picked if he walked into Micky Arthur's office and begged for it.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
As Pews said, the BBL needs some promo. Nothing better than getting the moron journos/readers of the Herald Sun salivating with a bit of "Warne still wants to play tests".

Incidentally, took a bunch of kids from school to a Melb Stars warm up hit out at the MCG yesterday. Warnie and Viv both present. Viv is a very fit looking 60yo.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
As PEWS said, it is purely a publicity stunt. As always, would love it if it came true.

centurymaker

International Captain
i think warne could still be one of the best spinner in the world, if he did actually come back and was fully committed to it.

but yea he's just kidding

doesitmatter

U19 Cricketer
Warne has become sadly such a ****. Just want to use any means to stay in the news. Sad, but he has completely deevolved from the Warne we knew..

Or did he?
Word. The Warne i knew gave the impression of don't take yourself seriously and have fun doing it off and on the field(may be not he was ruthless)..He was a genius with devil may care attitude...Now he has become a complete Narcissist..

Last edited:

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Word. The Warne i knew gave the impression of don't take yourself seriously and have fun doing it off and on the field(may be not he was ruthless)..He was a genius with devil may care attitude...Now he has become a complete Narcissist..
He has always been a complete narcissist. The difference between then and now is that then he could be tolerated because he was one of the best spinners of all time.

Not that anyone's seriously entertaining a Warne comeback but it's just not going to happen. No-one wants a bloke in the Test side who can 'do a job', you want a bloke who's going to take Test 5-fers and that bloke ain't Warne any more. Of course, Warne's going to say different. Why? .........because he's a complete narcissist.

"If your best friend says, 'Mate, I want you to seriously consider making a commitment to Australian cricket and coming back out of retirement', (to) make myself available for selection, that's a different scenario,'' Warne said.
Problem with that logic is that his good mate KP would say exactly the same thing.

Last edited:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Lol at all the Pommie posters ridiculing Warne. You'd be ****ting like big black Alsatians if he did come back and play against England.