• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Art of Leg-spin (Wrist Spin) in a dfficult place ?

SeamUp

International Coach
The Art of Leg-spin (Wrist Spin) in a difficult place ?

Obviously for a few years in South Africa there was the 'excitement' of Imran Tahir in the test team but I never fell for it eventhough he got wickets in England and South Africa domestically. The cost of them was so great at times in our 4-day series in SAF.
Sure it is difficult to bowl spin in SAF and other places but you have to do it to play test cricket for SAF or whoever else if thats your art.

I've never been one to say you have to have a leg-spinner as they are more attacking etc You still have to be a good spinner and today we see the likes of orthodox spinners (with the odd exception) in Panesar, Swann, Lyon, Vettori, Patel, Herath, Randiv, Ojha, Harbhajan, Ashwin, Narine (exception),Permaul, Ajmal (exception), Rehman and now Peterson come in and do jobs (take wickets and bring something to the team ito pressure).

I always have the belief that I don't mind the spinner going for 4 to 5 an over as long as he gets bags of wickets particularly in the 2nd innings. But even the wrist spinners in the game today who have got chances weren't getting the big hauls and weren't consistent enough to keep pressure on and bleeding runs.

You think of Adil Rashid (only limited overs sure), Brad Hogg, Bryce McGain, Piyush Chawla, Amit Mishra, Devandra Bishoo, Todd Astle (still deserves more chance of course so question mark still) come on to the international scene and not set it alight. The latest now in Imran Tahir. May be others I can't rememeber.

Suppose the last one to hold down a spot for a long enough period was Danish Kaneria for Pakistan.

Where is the next Albert Vogler, Aubrey Faulkner,Clarrie Grimmett, Subhash Gupte, Bill O'Reilly , Johnny Wardle (mixture), Richie Benaud, Bhagwath Chandresaker, Dennys Hobson, Abdul Qadir, Mushtaq Ahmed, Anil Kumble, Shane Warne , Stuart MacGill & Paul Adams ?

So who are the leg-break bowlers coming through in each country and is there potential there ? Because at the moment there is a difficult period for this part of our game it seems.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
What about Cullen Bailey chaps ?! :ph34r: :laugh:

Cameron Boyce and Adam Zampa the new hopes ?

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
and james muirhead.

although i'm pretty sure that's just berry wanting to find himself a warne

SeamUp

International Coach
From a South African perspective we have Shaun Von Berg and Eddie Leie who have played for Franchise cricket. They've done ok in the longer version when they have had the chance but nothing to stand out yet. Von Berg recently played a couple of limited overs games for the Titans but while he spun the ball nicely and had a top spinner was hit out the attack. So hard for flighted leg-spinners to do well in LO's cricket.

We have a couple of youngsters like Lionel Vaaltyn at EP amateur and Thomas Kaber (Northerns) but just haven't done enough at amateur level in Vaaltyn's case and behind our 'A' team 4-day spinner in Simon Harmer and Kaber hasn't gotopportunities as Von Berg is ahead of him as Kaber is still 20 but dominating club cricket.

Last edited:

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Still not sure what Bishoo did to be discarded. Though he had quite a bit of potential.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm a fan of Steve Smith as a pure bowler - would like to see him get more backing from O'Keefe as I'd love it if he had some success.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
The whole Muirhead thing is hilarious. Does Berry have a daughter? Wouldn't be surprised if he offered her up soon.

I'm not sure which would make it funnier in the end - Muirhead actually being exactly as gun as Berry hopes but playing for Victoria instead anyway, or Muirhead moving to South Australia and being a huge flop at First Class level.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Wrist spin do bring wickets. But finger spin had added more varities and mystery. Now finger spin has become the greater art.

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
Problem with leggies these days is they don't give it a rip anymore. You still get reasonably accurate blokes like Bishoo, but the trump card of wrist spin over finger spin has always been the amount of revolutions you can put on the ball. A leggie who barely turns it has no hope, I don't care how good their straight one is or how accurate they are

Tahir and Todd Astle are prime examples of this in the modern game

Pointless bowlers

Last edited:

cnerd123

likes this
Tahir does give it a rip, doesn't he?

Badree would be an ideal example of a new non-spinning leggie.

Legspin is hard work. You only really get good at it when your older, and the only way a young legspinner is going to persisted with is if pitches and conditions suit his bowling. A glut of limited overs cricket, flatter pitches, fast outfields, big bats, all do not help that.

NasserFan207

Well he doesn't turn it much. Only good thing about Tahir is his wrong-un, and 'supposed' accuracy.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Finger spinners have learnt to use the wrist as well. Now they are getting massive spin. And when they come to spin land, wrist spinners get raped.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Graeme Cremer is averaging 30 in ODIs for Zimbabwe. His bowling average in tests is not so happy
Yep, and on one hand he played most of those Tests years and years ago before he was anywhere near ready, but on the other hand he actually averages over 50 in ODIs against Test sides.

He's not an awful bowler but he's certainly not what you'd call a genuinely Test standard one either; not now anyway. He's the only leggie who actually seems to be anywhere near his country's best eleven though unless you think South Africa will keep Tahir in their squad.

NasserFan207

Finger spinners have learnt to use the wrist as well. Now they are getting massive spin. And when they come to spin land, wrist spinners get raped.
Who are you referring to? Swann probably gets the most turn out of any finger spinner current, and he's orthodox. None of them get anything close to the turn Warne or Murali got.

The amount of turn a spinner gets is still the most significant marker of how good they are for me

doesitmatter

U19 Cricketer
1) right attitude (Bhajji does not have it so even with 400 he is not a great and Kumble had it and he is a bonafide great)
2) patience

than spin is important for a spinner..if you have both then ur warne or murali..

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Who are you referring to? Swann probably gets the most turn out of any finger spinner current, and he's orthodox. None of them get anything close to the turn Warne or Murali got.

The amount of turn a spinner gets is still the most significant marker of how good they are for me
Arguable. Big spin helps, but the dip and drift are lot difficult to deal with than turn.