• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Art of Leg-spin (Wrist Spin) in a dfficult place ?

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Na missed him by a year or 2 I think. He was from the 'gong wasn't he?
Yeah. Crafty ****er but a total nut case. Didn't turn up to day two of a semi for Mosman one day (or so the story goes) and noone heard from him. Shane Lee was captain at the time.

Andre

International Regular
Haha yep sounds about right. Was a real powerful club in the late 1990's/early 2000's. Lee brothers, Haywood, Alley, Adlam, Trent Johnston plus some other really good first graders. Didn't win a flag though.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Know who else was a good coach of stuff outside of his specialty and I'm surprised he's not gotten higher opportunities - Dean Sayers (Chadd's dad). Coached SA's winning underage sides a couple of years ago (I think), often wondered why he's never popped up elsewhere. Only played a bit for SA but I reckon he was brilliant at getting the best out of the least.
he must be if he's managed to get chadd as far as he has. ark ark ark ark i don't think i've ever seen chadd play ark ark ark ark

SFB

Cricket Spectator
:D To think I started all this off. I think the main issue I have (as a leggie) is that an offie is responsible for All spin bowling at top level. I wouldn't have a problem if he was responsible for his fellow offies, but its sacrilegious to have an offie coaching a leggie and SLA. Plus, you can't sway me from the opinion that a former test playing spinner would have more to offer as a coach than Davison.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
On Davison again, I wonder what he'd give to have another shot at his youth now. The spin stocks in this country pale in comparison to what they were like during his prime and probably more relevantly, he could've been a real beast of a T20 player. Could've earned a fortune in today's game had he played his cards right.

SFB

Cricket Spectator
tbh, I find the distinction is a weird thing to talk about. Wasn't Watto, early days, essentially a bowling all-rounder? Pretty sure Bevvo was picked by the ACT on the strength of his pace bowling too. And then there was Mark Higgs; what the **** was he?
Bevo was a pace bowler?..Learn something new everyday.

Was a great prospect, should have had more of an opportunity at test level.

Higgs, from memory, was a batsmen who they hoped would develop into a dual spinning batting all rounder.

EWS, you bring up an interesting point. I wonder why he doesn't have a crack. If Warnie and Hoggie can have a go, why not?

On a slightly different note, why has Australia had such a lack of success with chinamen bowlers?

Last edited:

SFB

Cricket Spectator
We've probably done better than most countries with left arm wrist spin.
True, but you know its bad that the failings of our system regarding left arm spinners are some of the better results in the international scene.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I understood that, I just think it would be interesting.
Well he was still playing for Canada up until the World Cup last year; he probably just wasn't getting any interest from professional sides to play T20 cricket for them at 43 years old or whatever. If he was 27 again he undoubtedly would but his batting at least was based so much on his eye that it basically become useless as he played on into his 40s, even for Canada. He was batting 7/8 even for them at the last World Cup.

SFB

Cricket Spectator
Well he was still playing for Canada up until the World Cup last year; he probably just wasn't getting any interest from professional sides to play T20 cricket for them at 43 years old or whatever. If he was 27 again he undoubtedly would but his batting at least was based so much on his eye that it basically become useless as he played on into his 40s, even for Canada. He was batting 7/8 even for them at the last World Cup.
I remember something about his retirement from the WC. Was it injury related or just him deciding it was time?

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
:D To think I started all this off. I think the main issue I have (as a leggie) is that an offie is responsible for All spin bowling at top level. I wouldn't have a problem if he was responsible for his fellow offies, but its sacrilegious to have an offie coaching a leggie and SLA. Plus, you can't sway me from the opinion that a former test playing spinner would have more to offer as a coach than Davison.
how good a player is/was =/= how good they are as a coach. If anything, it's worse because it's a skill so natural to them they can't begin to imagine what it's like to start again.

Imagine having Michael Holding as a bowling coach. One of the most naturally gifted fast bowlers of all time. I'd imagine he'd say something along the lines of:

"Man, you just, like, relax and bowl really fast"

He sure knows how to do it himself, but like **** does that mean he'll be any good at explaining it to others.