• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

****Unofficial**** Ponting's Legacy Thread

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Alleged racism. There was never any proof that Harbhajan said what the Aussies said he did.
He may well have said it but the fact is there was not a single shred of evidence to prove it.

Can't believe people actually keep repeating this c*ap. By this token what do you say about Mcgrath , your hero and his alleged black monkey sledge to Jayasuriya ?
What innocent until proven guilty only applies to Aussies and English now does it ?
Has Jayasurya ever claimed it? As far as I know, it was Mahanama's book - and he wasn't even playing the game.

If he said it, I'd have the same reaction. When Gibbs made those comments, I called him out on it. You're not going to find any hypocrisy on this subject from me.

Second, the 'Teri maaki' excuse was made later, in the middle, Harby's conversation with ponting is much more telling (look it up - that conversation wasn't disputed).

Third, he had used the word before. I don't buy the bull**** about him not knowing it. We saw the crowds in Mumbai doing it to Symonds. It was one of the most shameful and disgraceful things in cricket.

So yea, I called him a racist. And I still do.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
But the other side, just because you are good at batting doesn't mean you are good everything else as well.

From that first innings, slinking off, looking back over his shoulder after being given out on 96. It may or may not have been the right decision but that is cricket. Unfortunately his demeanour showed a reluctance to accept that.
Ever gotten a bad LBW decision? I'm pretty sure most people who have been given out when it hits them on the thigh have looked like Ponting did then. It was hardly comment worthy, he just looked disappointed...

He has been the first product of the professional setup in Australia, identaified as a talent when a kid, the years at the cricket academy. He has lived as a professional player within the cricket establishment since a young teenager, surrounded by coaches managers etc all saying how good he was.

Clarke has been through the same system but shows a maturity and consideration that Ponting never had, perhaps that may be because of his western suburbs background. (the incident with Katich may have improved his judgement in pressure situations as well).
So, should Clarke and Ponting be identical people with the same reactions to situations because they went through similar pathways? Get real!

It's a common issue with talented kids, a year or two at the school of hard knocks might have helped their outlook on the world.

Ponting comes across as the Peter Pan of Australian cricket , the boy who has never had to grow up.
Oh, wow!! Surely you're not accusing Ponting of not being "down to earth". And to say he hasn't grown up is absurd. What the hell does that mean!

While he has done a serviceable job most of the time, the lack of the maturity that a life outside of cricket may have given him has resulted some disgraceful incidents on the field,especially as captain.
Bull****.
His behaviour after the Pratt runout in england is the example that sticks in my mind.
Yawn. Most overblown incident ever....

He should have been sacked as captain and dropped from the team for that. He embarassed everyone in cricket.

He is probably quite a nice bloke to meet in person but I wonder about if he could organise a barbie without it ending up in some sort of embarrassing dispute over a trivial incident.
One of the worst posts I've ever read...

Last edited:

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Has Jayasurya ever claimed it? As far as I know, it was Mahanama's book - and he wasn't even playing the game.

If he said it, I'd have the same reaction. When Gibbs made those comments, I called him out on it. You're not going to find any hypocrisy on this subject from me.

Second, the 'Teri maaki' excuse was made later, in the middle, Harby's conversation with ponting is much more telling (look it up - that conversation wasn't disputed).

Third, he had used the word before. I don't buy the bull**** about him not knowing it. We saw the crowds in Mumbai doing it to Symonds. It was one of the most shameful and disgraceful things in cricket.

So yea, I called him a racist. And I still do.
Jayasuriya never publicly claimed it no - Mahanma claims that Jaysuriya told teh SL dressing room about the remark when he was dismissed. Mahanama blasts the Aussie media at book launch | Sri Lanka Cricket News | ESPN Cricinfo

That's interesting - AFAIK there was no clear cut evidence Harbhajan ever said that to Symonds either in that ODI series in India or the test series in Australia afterwards.
Got proof that he did use it earlier ?