• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia A named

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
for a 3 dayer vs India

NAME STATE AGE
Michael Hussey (Captain) WA 28
Michael Clarke (Vice-captain) NSW 22
Chris Rogers WA 26
Martin Love QLD 29
Brad Hodge VIC 28
Cameron White VIC 20
Wade Seccombe QLD 32
Matthew Nicholson NSW 29
Damien Wright TAS 28
Paul Rofe SA 22
Shaun Tait SA 20

12th man will be tasmanian - due to the game being played in hobart - Watson i imagine

good squad, i am very very happy to see Hussey as captain, and 2 victorians for David Hookes :) it will be a good chance for people to compare hussey, Clarke, Love and Hodge.

interesting to see Tait there, while he has looked good this season he hasn't played much outside of that.

interesting to see 2 'older' bowlers in nicholson and Wright, neither you would think would stand too much chance to play in the test side (again in nicholsons case) though they are both good bowlers.

Yeah, it's a good looking squad. Naturally, I'm very pleased to see Michael Clarke as vice captain. I think it's a encouraging move giving the captaincy to Hussey, showing him he might be closer to the test team than many think.
The team is pretty close to my prediction (bar Seccombe and Tait). It looks a very strong team.
I was slightly disappointed to see Chris Rogers in ahead of Marcus North.

Go Clarke! :cool2:

iamdavid

International Debutant
:D

Very , very good sqaud.
That is pretty much the exact team I would have picked , the exception being Matt Nicholson.

Great to see they've reconised White as a better option than Hauritz , at least in the longer form of the game.

Hussey , despite his ING Cup form , has basically done nothing at Pura Cup level for two & a half years , until the most recent match , I dont doubt he's got the ability & really there was no other option as far as captaincy goes.

Clarke , Hodge , Wright & Rofe were all pretty much certainties , Rogers & Seccombe were highly likely.

Also great to see they are listening to form rather than age , by picking Seccombe over Haddin & Campbell.

The one shame is that Nicholson got in ahead of Inness :(

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
I'm a bit surprised to see Michael Clarke get the v-c as Cameron White has done such a good job with Victoria. A good team none the less but as has been said what does Inness have to do to get picked - move to NSW?

Looks like either Secombe or White will bat at 6 as well.

Watson won't be 12th, it will go to some emerging or youth cricketer for the experiance.

No Jimmy Maher, Andrew Symonds, Ashley Nofke, Nathatn Hauritz or Michael Kasprowicz - interesting.

Looks like they picked 2 from each state and1 from Tassie.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
symonds is in the national ODI team, i imagine thats why he wasn't picked

as for inness i heard hes down with glandular fever :(

Linda

International Vice-Captain
mavric41 said:
Watson won't be 12th, it will go to some emerging or youth cricketer for the experiance.
Hmm I wouldve thought that Watson would be young and emerging.

Last edited:

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
furious_ged said:
And Tasmanian...
He is not Tasmanian - he is a relocated Queenslander who has already emerged into the senior ODI team. Mark my words - he won't be 12th man. (Big statement there - I hope it doesn't come back and bite me on the ass :P )

Cloete said:
better than being a Canberrian :P
It was in reference to the 12th man being a Tasmanian player.

Originally posted by mavric41
He is not Tasmanian - he is a relocated Queenslander who has already emerged into the senior ODI team. Mark my words - he won't be 12th man. (Big statement there - I hope it doesn't come back and bite me on the ass :))
Same deal. Shane Watson represents Tasmania. That, in the selectors eyes makes him Tasmanian. As the 12th man will be a Tasmanian representative, then there you go, don't be so hasty.

Regarding this whole 'relocated Queenslander' rubbish, Queensland cricket had it's chance, and didn't take him. Consider him one who got away and get over it.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
watson is a very good fielder is why i think that he will be 12th man, no hes not in the senior ODI team at the moment either.

Michael Clarke has been named captain of the Australia 'A' squad for the limited overs matches in January.

WHOOOOOOOOPWHOOPWHOOPWHOOPWHOOPWHOOP!!!

*Ahem*, yes quite a good move indeed.

Linda

International Vice-Captain
Stuff the AAAS, this society is PARTYING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Clarke :saint: Can do no wrong.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
furious_ged said:
Michael Clarke has been named captain of the Australia 'A' squad for the limited overs matches in January.

WHOOOOOOOOPWHOOPWHOOPWHOOPWHOOPWHOOP!!!

*Ahem*, yes quite a good move indeed.

So if he's in there, that suggests they don't even consider him a regular pick for the full side?

Doesn't seem so good then!

Yes, but would you like to try and argue why he shouldn't be in the first XI with the start he's had to his international career?

He should make the squad for the VB series and should therefore get a few games.