• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia A named

PY

International Coach
Linda said:
Aus A team is basically what the selectors feel are the players that will replace the current team in the future... Clarke being captain is BIG.
I'm a little confused as to the purpose of this Aus A side. Is it meant to be like our Academy and train up the younger players for entrance into the main side.

David says that picking Seccombe is a good idea but he's 32 so he doesn't have much of a future in Australian colours.

Does that mean you (David) think that it should be a 2nd XI rather than a younger XI?

:)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
furious_ged said:
The only reason Katich and Love get in ahead is because they're seasoned, and have performed over the years.
And Clarke has only really performed in one season...

And it was one fantastic season from Love which pushed him into the Australian team.

That's a joke. The day that an entire season of brilliance isn't enough is a sad day indeed.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
If it had been one brilliant season with the others awful that saw him in the side, you would have a point.

As I don't know anything about Martin Love's Pura Cup record, I won't make any further judgment. :)

I do have a point. I am saying that whilst Martin Love's FC record is very good, those previous seasons were not good enough to get him into the Australian side. There's nothing you can say to that, because it's a fact, he couldn't make it.

Then, on the back of a super season for Queensland in the Pura Cup he made the Australian team.

A season is quite a long time to justify your place in the team and for anyone to use 'he had one good season' as a reason for Clarke not to be included is preposterous; He wouldn't be the first person to make it after one great season.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
There are myriad players who have burned brightly for one initial season and then faded away as they were worked out. That is why one season is not enough to make a cut and dried decision on a young player.

The Argonaut

State Vice-Captain
Maybe Furious Ged can tell us who the last Aussie batsman was who was selected after one good season. He will have to go back a long way. Love has been there abouts for a number of years. There haven't been many vacancies in the Aussie side over the last 5 years. Lehmann also with a great FC record had to wait a long time and Martyn was in the wilderness for years. Clarke will get a go next Australian summer though he may tour to get experience. More FC cricket required. Love is still above him in the pecking order I suspect.

The guys pushing the claims of Brad Hodge should probably give up. I'd almost put money down that he will never play a test.

The A team should be the 2nd best side in Australia. Seccombe is the 2nd best keeper so he should get the spot. If Gilchrist breaks down between now and Boxing Day the next best should be ready.

By the way Australia has only selected 2 batsmen one season after their first class debut since 1980.

Justin Langer FC debut 1991/2, Test debut 1992/3
Dirk Wellham FC debut Dec 1980, Test debut Aug 1981 (only through injury in an Ashes tour, got a 100 as well)

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
furious_ged said:
I do have a point. I am saying that whilst Martin Love's FC record is very good, those previous seasons were not good enough to get him into the Australian side. There's nothing you can say to that, because it's a fact, he couldn't make it.
But you still admit he's strung a number of good seasons in a row, and like it or not, he was picked on the basis of all those seasons, not jst one season.

marc71178 said:
Doesn't really back your case up now does it?
I wasn't using it to back up my case, it was just an article I found which is about the guy we're talking about.

Originally posted by marc71178
But you still admit he's strung a number of good seasons in a row, and like it or not, he was picked on the basis of all those seasons, not jst one season.
Yes and no to the admission. I admit he has strung a number of good seasons together, but I still it believe that the reason he got in last year is because he was a superstar at the time. The seasons beforehand didn't get him in and once they're in the past they're gone. It was what he was doing at present which got him into the team.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
furious_ged said:
I'm not frightened of 'admin boys', or as they are colloquially referred to by the rest of the world as 'no life nerds'. If they get off by banning me them I'm only too happy to oblige. :)

As for being Clarke's bitch, I wish.
Your not supposed to be scared of them, your supposed to realise they are here to stop us from having to listen to rubbish like this. Now if you want all your posts deleted and your account blocked, I would reccomend loosing the attitude. It's not how you treat the admin guys on this board, it's how you treat everyone, and so far you seem to have a flagrant disregard for everyone on this forum.

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
If Clarke is the replacement for Waugh then i'll be very very surprised...
I for 1 am a big fan of his and think he has a huge future ahead of him, however his Pura Cup form has not been anything special this season at all...

He gets starts and then when he's 20-30 he plays a silly shot and gets out, now IMO Australia need a player who is solid and can hold an innings together to replace one of the greatest Australians to play the game...

Let Clarke replace Marto when he retires in 2 years time...

Rik said:
Your not supposed to be scared of them, your supposed to realise they are here to stop us from having to listen to rubbish like this. Now if you want all your posts deleted and your account blocked, I would reccomend loosing the attitude. It's not how you treat the admin guys on this board, it's how you treat everyone, and so far you seem to have a flagrant disregard for everyone on this forum.
I don't have a disregard for everyone on this forum, I've made plenty of friends from it (none of which I've lost by the way). The disregard is for pendants like yourself who make arguments for the sake of making arguments; a good portion of the time you are just playing Devil's Advocate and have no conviction.

Just off topic: Rik, for someone with an IQ purportedly in the 130s your spelling is sh*t.

Last edited:

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
furious_ged said:
I don't have a disregard for everyone on this forum, I've made plenty of friends from it (none of which I've lost by the way). The disregard is for pendants like yourself who make arguments for the sake of making arguments; a good portion of the time you are just playing Devil's Advocate and have no conviction.

Just off topic: Rik, for someone with an IQ purportedly in the 130s your spelling is sh*t.
Pedant, there's that word again. Except this time you spelt it "pendant" oh how very clever. If your going to make a comeback, at least don't make yourself look like a fool.

I'm the one who makes arguements just for the hell of it? *mock surprise*. Really that IS rich coming from you. You really seem to be a glutton for punnishment, I'm sure the "stupid geeky admin guys" will really enjoy giving it to you.

*Off Topic* Spelling has nothing to do with your IQ, amazingly even a pedant like myself knows that, or was that pendant?

"The disregard is for pendants like yourself"

Right, pendant? So that translates to "The disregard for medals like yourself"

What a golden comment, or would that be brass?

Last edited:

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
furious_ged said:
Yours outweigh mine, Ricky baby. Mine was an oversight, yours is consistently poor.
Noep, Ive nevar ad probylams wit spalling.

I wouldn't call it "constantly poor" but yes my spelling isn't great. Maybe that's because from age 16 I stopped writing and used word processors and they spell things for you.

So basically you are better than me, that's what your trying to say? How increadibly mature.