• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ross Taylor likely to be shafted from the captaincy?

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
I do wonder if 'senior players' is more refering to the likes of Mills and Oram - of course they don't play tests any more but we play enough ODIs and T20s for them to be an influence.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
The way Taylor used the bowlers in the SL test was excellent. Especially his management of Astle. Probably Bond's influence - which is really where I think Taylor holds the biggest advantage a captain can have; he's humble enough to be willing to learn and implement other people's ideas. Obviously I don't actually know this as I'm not in the team but just from the way he talks he seems this way.

I would be really interested to know where Bond stands on this ordeal. He's proven his integrity countless times, and he's had a big enough career-ruining run in with NZC to not automatically side with the administrators...

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
what does that have to do with what I said?
Well, it's the captain's responsibility that there is discipline instilled. An 'uninspired' player could be prone to breaching conduct (maybe this fits Ryder) so therefore I disagree with your assessment that a captain shouldn't have to inspire those who maybe aren't as 'passionate' or 'committed' as himself. That's his job imo.

Binkley

U19 Captain
Good grief! Yet another fiasco envelops NZ Cricket. Is there another sporting body that is so inept? The coach has to shoulder much of the blame this time around, although the Board and CEO also need a kicking for allowing it to happen. What did Hesson say when he was first made coach? Something to the effect that "Taylor was appointed by the Board". He clearly and explicitly did not express any support for the captain. Absolutely disgraceful. And it seems that his lack of support has translated into stabbing knives into Ross' back. I certainly wouldn't want to be a player in that team now. Who knows who the coach might going crying to the Board about next.

A coach should try to work with what he has got, and New Zealand certainly hasn't got enough talent to keep alienating our best players.

What upsets me most is that this is not a single incident, but an ongoing trainwreck that has gone on for years. Look at the talent we have chased away through inept man management and self-interested decision-making. Shane Bond's ban still rankles.

It seems to me that a central problem is that while money has poured into cricket in recent years, NZ Cricket has never developed beyond the parochial, self-serving, provincial body that it always has been. We appoint more and more people to new roles (Buchanan, Littlejohn etc), but that merely makes an already cloudy and messy decision-making process even cloudier. The whole structure of the organisation needs to be completely overhauled, so that accountabilities are clear, and decision-making processes are fair and transparent. Else these types of disasters are just going to keep happening and no-one from NZ Cricket will be held accountable for them.

No wonder people are losing interest in the game here, I am certainly finding it much harder to support our national team.

Last edited:

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Good post, Binkley and welcome to the board.

I reckon we could make an excellent XI from players that management have managed to chase away in the last decade. Fully agree with you that inept management is to blame here. The people at the top change, but the debacles remain alarmingly similar year-on-year.

Binkley

U19 Captain
Good post, Binkley and welcome to the board.

I reckon we could make an excellent XI from players that management have managed to chase away in the last decade. Fully agree with you that inept management is to blame here. The people at the top change, but the debacles remain alarmingly similar year-on-year.
Thanks for the welcome. I joined, after some time as a lurker, 'cos I wanted to celebrate our victory over Sri Lanka. I didn't even get to make a single post on that topic before all my enthusiasm was knocked out of me by the captaincy disaster.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Thanks for the welcome. I joined, after some time as a lurker, 'cos I wanted to celebrate our victory over Sri Lanka. I didn't even get to make a single post on that topic before all my enthusiasm was knocked out of me by the captaincy disaster.
:hug:

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Radio Sport bulletins now reporting Ross will refuse to tour when stripped of the captaincy today.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Bloody hell. Would rather have McCullum ****ed right off than not have Taylor.
Everyone would. Can't NZ cricket just buy Hesson and McCullum a couple tickets to holiday at some romantic resort for the next couple of months to allow Ross Taylor to take his team to play some tough Test cricket in SA.

Last edited:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Besides, we've got Joey Yovich ready to step up and do the business in test cricket.

Viscount Tom

International Debutant
Shouldn't be allowed to play proper internationals if they do this. Looks like most of the NZC supporters on here will stop supporting the team if they do anyway.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yup a number of sources are now saying that Taylor will likely miss the whole South African tour as an absolute minimum.

So we're now about to play the best side in the world without our two best test batsmen, Taylor and Ryder.