• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ross Taylor likely to be shafted from the captaincy?

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Whatever you want to say about Ross, especially tactically, he's stood up to be counted since receiving the (c). He'd feel the knives hovering towards his back but has churned out a multitude of runs - and certainly more than the guy they're lining up to take him over. He deserves a lot of respect for boosting his averages in all arenas with the captaincy.

I don't think the issue here is who will be captain or who is the best captain. It's the churlish, boys club, cliquey, unprofessional approach that has been symptomatic since Justin Vaughan's reign. And it is accurately summed up in the fact we are eighth and last in all three forms of the game.

Neil Young

State Vice-Captain
I don't think the issue here is who will be captain or who is the best captain. It's the churlish, boys club, cliquey, unprofessional approach that has been symptomatic since Justin Vaughan's reign. And it is accurately summed up in the fact we are eighth and last in all three forms of the game.
I agree with all that except this sort of churlish boys club nonsense has been going on for years, not just since the Vaughan reign. Coney/Hadlee, Crowe/Rutherford and countless other examples of in fighting in the NZ cricket team.

It's just one long embarrassment.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Certainly it's been there in the past, but under Chris Doig's leadership it wasn't an issue. Good strong leadership from him, Steve Rixon, Stephen Fleming etc made for an environment that housed plenty of egos but allowed them to shine.

I don't think we can expect a lot of change under the management structure we have now and the sort of in-fighting and cliques developing in the side now.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
This whole situation is disgusting. No, unprofessional is the best word, grossly unprofessional.

I can't even summon up the will to hold my nose at the stench emanating from this and write a good rant. It seems that, like the last 5 years, the output of this team will not be measure in wins and draws, runs and wickets, but instead in best-selling tell-all books a few years later.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm convinced this is all a load of BS and nothing will really come of it
Well it this media speculation was a 'testing of the waters' from NZ cricket to see how the NZ public would react, they certainly know now.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I'm hoping that this is just media speculation, but Hesson hasn't done anything to quiet the rumours since he took over, has he?

Just really poor man management from Hesson.

Meridio

International Regular
Well it this media speculation was a 'testing of the waters' from NZ cricket to see how the NZ public would react, they certainly know now.
David White currently reading CW under an alter ego, you reckon?

Chubb

International Regular
This is so stupid and lacking in common sense it is absurd....

It is clear if Hesson has been advocating McCullum it is essentially because they are mates, which is appalling. I think Taylor is a better captain than him anyway. He's certainly the better batsman.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
I'm hoping that this is just media speculation, but Hesson hasn't done anything to quiet the rumours since he took over, has he?
Nearly every major 'thing' (generally read '****-up') that's come out of NZC over the past few years has been reported first as a leaked rumour and then as reality. I would be very surprised if this was any different. Unless there is some eleventh hour bid to save Taylor's captaincy going on right now and it's getting traction. Then we could have an all-out civil war :dry:.

Really feel for Taylor. Was very pleased to see in that article that when asked to step down by Hesson he said no. Great to see he still wants the job, despite being undermined by various forces inside and outside the team (I'm trying just to stick to known facts here - who is most responsible out of McCullum, Hesson, Vettori, other players, the board, White, Buchanan, former players, rabble-rousers in the media... I do not know).

I suspect Taylor could be a good captain. I can very much envisage him not being party to the matey cliquey culture though - is just there to do his job, and a good job at that. Being somewhat thoughtful (not a quality NZ generally looks for in leaders) I'm not surprised that he struggles to deal with people who exude a great volume of words at great volume, and probably aren't inclined to do a lot of listening. In my opinion if he felt he really owned the team, which cannot be true to date, and was given a couple of years with the right mentoring it would bring the best out of him.

BeeGee

International Captain
I have no inclination to support a McCullum led team.

I really hope Taylor leaves NZC and finishes his career doing the rounds on the lucrative T20 circuit. NZC have treated him like **** so why should he give them anything in return?

If my employer promoted me and I did a reasonable job, then they turn around and demote me just because my new boss wants his friend in the position, I would quit in heart beat. There's no way I would put up with that ****.