• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ross Taylor likely to be shafted from the captaincy?

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
I'm not understanding this "get over it everything's okay now" thing which is coming out. Everything is NOT okay now. A lot of really **** stuff happened and I fail to see how not losing to England papers over some pretty massive cracks. If it's ignored now it could have serious implications for how the management behaves in future.

jcas0167

International Debutant
I'm not understanding this "get over it everything's okay now" thing which is coming out. Everything is NOT okay now. A lot of really **** stuff happened and I fail to see how not losing to England papers over some pretty massive cracks. If it's ignored now it could have serious implications for how the management behaves in future.
It's been pretty hard to ignore tbf. What more is meant to happen?

BeeGee

International Captain
I'm with you, mate.

It's been pretty hard to ignore tbf. What more is meant to happen?
Removal of the heads of the NZC and a complete change of culture in the organization.

ohnoitsyou

International Regular
Until the SA tour, Mills had been pretty ordinary for quite a while, so Taylor wanting him to be dropped is understandable.

Jezroy

State Captain
Until the SA tour, Mills had been pretty ordinary for quite a while, so Taylor wanting him to be dropped is understandable.

Hmmm - not sure about that... 1.5 bad series?

Last year = Bowling records | One-Day Internationals | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo

Last 12 months = rain affected slog off in SL, and a mixed tour of WI (some good, some bad = 12 games, 14 wkts, 31.4 avg, 4.65 RPO

And looking back further...

Last 2 years = 18 games, 22 wkts, 28.6 avg, 4.44 RPO

Last 3 years = 37 games, 52 wkts, 25.8 avg, 4.72 RPO

Plus he spent some of the last little while injured?

ohnoitsyou

International Regular
Hmmm - not sure about that... 1.5 bad series?

Last year = Bowling records | One-Day Internationals | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo

Last 12 months = rain affected slog off in SL, and a mixed tour of WI (some good, some bad = 12 games, 14 wkts, 31.4 avg, 4.65 RPO

And looking back further...

Last 2 years = 18 games, 22 wkts, 28.6 avg, 4.44 RPO

Last 3 years = 37 games, 52 wkts, 25.8 avg, 4.72 RPO

Plus he spent some of the last little while injured?
Yeah, he certainty wasn't bad, his stats do look quite good, but not good enough to be undropable. In hindsight it would have been a distater, but when you consider that by Sri Lanka Boult was starting to improve at LO, and people still thought that Bracewell would fast become a good LO bowler, its easy to see why an older player thought past his best (although hindsight proves that wrong) could be dropped for the younger talent

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, he certainty wasn't bad, his stats do look quite good, but not good enough to be undropable. In hindsight it would have been a distater, but when you consider that by Sri Lanka Boult was starting to improve at LO, and people still thought that Bracewell would fast become a good LO bowler, its easy to see why an older player thought past his best (although hindsight proves that wrong) could be dropped for the younger talent
I'm sorry but no. It would be a ridiculous assessment to place half a dozen matches of mediocrity over half a dozen years of excellence, especially given that guys like Andy Ellis were still being selected in that team. However I continue to doubt that Taylor would've demanded Mills' axing in the first place.

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
This this this.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, but we already know that a lot of really **** stuff happened. We know that Hesson axed Taylor under unreasonable circumstances. We know that he, and the NZC lied about the offer of the split captaincy. We already knew that there were major divisions within the side (even if we didn't have names). We already knew that people within the NZ team unit had concerns about a culture of mediocrity amongst some players. This **** being perpetually dredged up every month isn't adding anything new.

I guess if someone could provide some actual proof (e.g. a taped recording of the Hesson-Taylor meeting in SL) it would serve to place additional pressure on the NZC to reform. However, all these accusations by people who (rightly or wrongly) aren't even involved in New Zealand Cricket aren't achieving anything besides potentially worsening the fractures that already exist within the side.

Last edited:

Jezroy

State Captain
Yeah, but we already know that a lot of really **** stuff happened. We know that Hesson axed Taylor under unreasonable circumstances. We know that he, and the NZC lied about the offer of the split captaincy. We already knew that there were major divisions within the side (even if we didn't have names). We already knew that people within the NZ team unit had concerns about a culture of mediocrity amongst some players. This **** being perpetually dredged up every month isn't adding anything new.

I guess if someone could provide some actual proof (e.g. a taped recording of the Hesson-Taylor meeting in SL) it would serve to place additional pressure on the NZC to reform. However, all these accusations by people who (rightly or wrongly) aren't even involved in New Zealand Cricket aren't achieving anything besides potentially worsening the fractures that already exist within the side.
Well said. Flush the dunny, and move on.

Whatever needs to be flushed to have that happen, needs to happen.

They basically need to get anyone with an issue in a room, with some neutral mediator (or whoever, since the board of NZC don't seem that neutral), and get out whatever needs to be got out. Then get out whoever needs to be got out.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
yeah, but we already know that a lot of really **** stuff happened. We know that hesson axed taylor under unreasonable circumstances. We know that he, and the nzc lied about the offer of the split captaincy. We already knew that there were major divisions within the side (even if we didn't have names). We already knew that people within the nz team unit had concerns about a culture of mediocrity amongst some players. This **** being perpetually dredged up every month isn't adding anything new.

I guess if someone could provide some actual proof (e.g. A taped recording of the hesson-taylor meeting in sl) it would serve to place additional pressure on the nzc to reform. However, all these accusations by people who (rightly or wrongly) aren't even involved in new zealand cricket aren't achieving anything besides potentially worsening the fractures that already exist within the side.
+1

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
This document's sole purpose is to be an instrument by which John Parker's group can challenge the governance of the NZC.
ndeed. what is the process for the challenge - is there an AGM where anyone can stand for election?

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
Not completely - just get rid of all the crap. That's what I do when I do poo. I don't get rid of all the stuff that makes the poo. Just the poo.
And the poo keeps on coming back.

Sounds like you need to get rid of the stuff that is making the poo.