Page 41 of 59 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast
Results 601 to 615 of 874

Thread: Ross Taylor likely to be shafted from the captaincy?

  1. #601
    Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Posts
    37,156
    I see Jono's baseless attack on Ross Taylor continues.
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

    Thanks.

  2. #602
    Virat Kohli (c) Jono's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    55,307
    Quote Originally Posted by BeeGee View Post
    Well.... I want NZ to get destroyed by SA, but that's not necessarily because I want McCullum to fail, it's because I want the current anti-NZC feeling the public have to continue and to build. I'm still hoping that a bad enough performance in SA will cause NZC heads to roll.
    Its funny you say that. I have spoken to a Kiwi mate who wants NZ to get absolutely owned vs. SA, and a neutral who is a major cricket fan who said this incident has turned him from being neutral in NZ vs. SA to hoping SA absolutely dominate.

    Was curious whether there is similar sentiment on CW, both from Kiwi fans and neutrals who will be following the series.

  3. #603
    International Coach Hurricane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Don't be jealous of the Georgie Pie super smash
    Posts
    10,093
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    I see Jono's baseless attack on Ross Taylor continues.
    Jono's trying a unique approach for his BOTM chances...
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I got great enjoyment in going to the game and shouting "WHY THE **** ISN'T THIS GAME BEING PLAYED AT THE BASIN?!>!?!?" to reasonably significant cheers from the sparse crowd
    Proudly against the bring back Bennett movement since he is injury prone and won't last 5 days.

  4. #604
    U19 Captain Tricia McMillan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Short Leg
    Posts
    619
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Are any Kiwi fans actively wanting McCullum to fail? Either with bat or in general as captain.
    Not me. I agree with what a couple others have said in that at least some part of me would enjoy seeing a disastrous tour in South Africa to cause NZC heads to roll.

    Baz isn't the problem and I like him even though I hate this captaincy fiasco and think he's a poor choice as a test captain, but it's not him who I want to see fail because he didn't select himself for the test captaincy over Ross Taylor. He's a convenient scapegoat for others perhaps but I don't hold it against him.
    85.5
    Boult to Mathews, OUT, Caught at second slip! It was a length ball going across Angelo, who tried to hit it hard towards the leg side and got an outside edge that flew fast towards Guptill, who took a reflex catch in front of his face


  5. #605
    International Coach HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Rummaging through Iain O'Brien's dustbins.
    Posts
    14,486
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    Decent opinion piece on the saga in the Dominion Post today (not by Millmow). Pretty much one that I agree with wholeheartedly.
    Mark Reason: Knives were out for Ross Taylor | Stuff.co.nz

    Quote Originally Posted by Tricia McMillan View Post
    He's a convenient scapegoat for others perhaps but I don't hold it against him.
    From the above article:

    "There has been much sympathy for McCullum since his appointment, but I am not sure why. It is hard to believe that Hesson had not discussed Taylor's captaincy with his old Otago mucker.

    "Loyal" is such an important word in the New Zealand vocabulary that they wrote a song about it. McCullum could have refused the captaincy, saying that he was loyal to Taylor.

    As could the next man and the next - "I am Spartacus," they could have said. Instead up went the cry, "I am Brutus".
    >>>>>>WHHOOOOOOOOOSHHHHHHH>>>>>>
    Fascist Dictator of the Heath Davis Appreciation Society
    Supporting Petone's Finest since the very start - Iain O'Brien
    Adam Wheater - Another batsman off the Essex production line
    Also Supporting the All Time #1 Batsman of All Time Ever - Jacques Kallis and the much maligned Peter Siddle.


    Vimes tells it how it is:
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    Heath worryingly quick.

  6. #606
    International Captain hendrix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    6,941
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Are any Kiwi fans actively wanting McCullum to fail? Either with bat or in general as captain.
    No. As far as I'm aware he hasn't done anything wrong. Moreover, he is taking the correct approach in trying to re-galvanise the team. He may make a better captain than Taylor - who knows?

    Perhaps McCullum should've been picked as captain first off, then we wouldn't have this issue. The blame lies with Hesson, and perhaps more importantly the team manager Mike Sandle. Since Taylor was picked before Hesson came into the side, he should have a) supported Taylor in the media and the team, not say things like "it's a board decision that he's captain" b) given Taylor a longer stint to grow into the role, and actively help him with his deficiencies c) not told him he had no confidence in him as captain and then inexplicably offer him the test captaincy.

    On reflection, I still want NZ to do well and I want the coach to learn from this and become better for it. We cannot keep chopping and changing. We have to accept what has happened and move on. Team Manager Mike Sandle should probably go though.

  7. #607
    State Captain
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    1,775
    Mark Reason is awful. He just lumps a whole bunch of one-sided arguments onto his side of the fence, ignores the flip side and launches.

    Suggesting Brendon could have turned it down in an act of loyalty is beyond ridiculous. If he's the next best, he has to take it otherwise we're further compromised. And as far as we're aware, he had no real influence in what has shaken down - no matter what Mark might want us to read into his and Hesson's relationship and saying it's hard to believe they didn't discuss it. Baseless drivel. Ross never suggested that was the case and didn't see to hold any grudges against Brendon.

    Initially, I didn't continue reading past Moller 'losing' Justin Vaughan, the most inept chief executive in our history.

  8. #608
    International Coach HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Rummaging through Iain O'Brien's dustbins.
    Posts
    14,486
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveNZ View Post
    Mark Reason is awful. He just lumps a whole bunch of one-sided arguments onto his side of the fence, ignores the flip side and launches.

    Suggesting Brendon could have turned it down in an act of loyalty is beyond ridiculous. If he's the next best, he has to take it otherwise we're further compromised. And as far as we're aware, he had no real influence in what has shaken down - no matter what Mark might want us to read into his and Hesson's relationship and saying it's hard to believe they didn't discuss it. Baseless drivel. Ross never suggested that was the case and didn't see to hold any grudges against Brendon.

    Initially, I didn't continue reading past Moller 'losing' Justin Vaughan, the most inept chief executive in our history.
    Well, it is an opinion piece not fact so he has done just that and presented his opinion. But I can't deny the bit about losing Justin Vaughan was pretty funny.

  9. #609
    International Captain hendrix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    6,941
    Look it's all very well asking McCullum to be "loyal" or whatever by refusing the captaincy, but ultimately he made the decision that he felt would be best for NZ cricket. Standing up as a team against the coach would just leave them coachless on the SA tour and wouldn't achieve anything in the long run.

    Sure he'll feel for Taylor, but if Hesson were sacked as the result of a player standup, it would be another coup. That's just going to mean there's more disharmony, more player power, and less actual accountability.

  10. #610
    International Captain Howsie's Avatar
    Super Mario Rampage 1 Champion!
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    5,012
    Quote Originally Posted by hendrix View Post
    No. As far as I'm aware he hasn't done anything wrong. Moreover, he is taking the correct approach in trying to re-galvanise the team. He may make a better captain than Taylor - who knows?
    Oh bull****. He's just as bad as anyone else. Even if we just pretend for a second that he had no idea about this, that him and his best mate Hesson never discussed it his silence last week told the only story we need to know. He cares so much about Ross Taylor huh? Where was his support last week? When every man and his dog knew Taylor was a goner and McCullum's name was being thrown about as his replacement. He could've easily come out and announced his unqualified support for Taylor, but he didn't, and I wonder why....
    Northern Districts
    Proudly supporting KS Williamson, TG Southee, TA Boult, DR Flynn, BJ Watling, CJ Anderson and IS Sodhi

  11. #611
    International Vice-Captain BeeGee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    4,986
    Quote Originally Posted by hendrix View Post
    Look it's all very well asking McCullum to be "loyal" or whatever by refusing the captaincy, but ultimately he made the decision that he felt would be best for NZ cricket. Standing up as a team against the coach would just leave them coachless on the SA tour and wouldn't achieve anything in the long run.

    Sure he'll feel for Taylor, but if Hesson were sacked as the result of a player standup, it would be another coup. That's just going to mean there's more disharmony, more player power, and less actual accountability.
    Funny stuff.

    Remember the time McCullum and Vettori lead the team against Moles and left them coachless on the next tour?

    McCullum didn't make the decision that was best for NZ cricket, he made the decision that was best for McCullum.

  12. #612
    State Captain
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    1,775
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    Well, it is an opinion piece not fact so he has done just that and presented his opinion. But I can't deny the bit about losing Justin Vaughan was pretty funny.
    Yeah that's true, at the end of the day he's a shock jock who says things for effect and hits on stuff's site. No interest in being unbiased and balanced, except for having chips on both shoulders.

    And why should McCullum offer his unconditional support for Taylor if he felt he was the best candidate - and he clearly did, because he wanted it when it was offered the other way under Wright - and had nothing to do with this recent shafting? At the end of the day, there is merit to suggest a captaincy change is required. It's just been a horrendously poorly handled saga. If McCullum had nothing to do with that, and I believe he didn't, then he's done not a thing wrong. He's simply a guy who backs himself to do the best job and continues to want it.

    But then again, tattoos/IPL/T20/blah blah and so on. Or whatever else the anti McCullum brigade want to point to.

  13. #613
    State Captain
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    1,775
    Quote Originally Posted by BeeGee View Post
    Funny stuff.

    Remember the time McCullum and Vettori lead the team against Moles and left them coachless on the next tour?

    McCullum didn't make the decision that was best for NZ cricket, he made the decision that was best for McCullum.
    No..Moles was a terrible appointment. One made when Mott, Ford et all turned us down and we had nowhere else to look. An underqualified coach failed to adequately prepare and run the national side, so they voiced their concerns. No such issues with Wright - he was done in by Buchanan and I can assure you some players - senior ones as well - had issues with him.

  14. #614
    Hall of Fame Member _Ed_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Auckland, Aotearoa
    Posts
    19,907

  15. #615
    International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Not really needed on CW
    Posts
    12,771
    Last edited by Daemon; 11-12-2012 at 09:19 PM.

Page 41 of 59 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Captaincy - does it or doesn't it?
    By hang on in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 19-02-2011, 09:38 AM
  2. Captaincy; how important is it?
    By AlanJLegend in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 06-04-2010, 02:02 AM
  3. Captaincy
    By Jakester1288 in forum Coaching and Equipment Forum
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 28-10-2009, 01:12 AM
  4. Chris Gayle willing to quit West Indies captaincy
    By roseboy64 in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 71
    Last Post: 19-05-2009, 08:12 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •