Page 4 of 59 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 874

Thread: Ross Taylor likely to be shafted from the captaincy?

  1. #46
    Cricketer Of The Year Hurricane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Stopping the AFL spreading to NZ
    Posts
    9,714
    When the decision happens James to publish the first 20 reactions in his book.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I got great enjoyment in going to the game and shouting "WHY THE **** ISN'T THIS GAME BEING PLAYED AT THE BASIN?!>!?!?" to reasonably significant cheers from the sparse crowd
    Proudly against the bring back Bennett movement since he is injury prone and won't last 5 days.

  2. #47
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    ksfls;fsl;lsFJg/s
    Posts
    28,245
    What flummoxes me is people are actually saying right now they backed McCullum as captain when Vettori's successor was first decided, and even now Taylor's captaincy is fit for debate.

    FMD I'm becoming more and more convinced people who ring radio stations have The Stupid Gene because this media perception of Taylor as a slogger who only scores easy runs is not true at all and in fact applies quite nicely to a certain other member of the side. Holy ****, the other day Martin Guptill was floated as a captaincy candidate. Let the bloke establish himself first ffs.

    Here's that list I promised you all of Taylor's 80+ scores (I cbf listing all the damn fifties)

    120 coming in at 3/129
    154 coming in at 2/86
    151 coming in at 2/22
    107 coming in at 2/54
    81 coming in at 2/49
    94 coming in at 2/27
    97 coming in at 2/36
    138 coming in at 2/30
    122 coming in at 2/131 (against Zimbabwe)
    113 coming in at 2/63
    142 coming in at 2/14

    Batting records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo

    One thing I noticed writing that was once he gets past the 50s his conversion rate becomes pretty damn good as well. Other notables:

    -Averages 63 in the first innings of the match, and 52 in the final innings of the match.
    -1047 @ 49.85 as captain
    -819 @ 54.60 in 2012
    -1752 @ 54.12 at home
    -Bangladesh, West Indies and South Africa are the only sides he has failed against and drag his average down massively

    GAGF McCullum
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

  3. #48
    International Captain hendrix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    6,411
    Anyone who doesn't think Taylor is the best batsman in the side hasn't been watching the black caps.

    He had a dip in form about a year ago, possibly because he kept listening to the everyone else telling him how to bat.

    There are 3 quibbles you could have with him right now:
    1. His catching has been poor.
    2. At times his field settings have been a bit defensive.
    3. The selection and batting order in t20s and ODIs has been weird.

    I blame van Wyk for 1, but anyway it's something that can be worked on and is no reason to oust him. At worst move him out of first slip.

    2, well, he's learning the captaincy and really those things are kinda subjective.

    3, this is an important quibble but from what it sounds like, Hesson has been the one responsible for the tinkering.

  4. #49
    International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Mrs Miggins pie shop
    Posts
    11,347
    Joke decision. Just when they seemed to make some progress they go and do something stupid like this. Can see NZ getting a stuffing off SA and not being able to regroup in time for the England double header. One thing though, if it is McCullum as captain he may be out of a job by June if they suffer 3 heavy series defeats in a row.


  5. #50
    International Vice-Captain Days of Grace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Takasaki, Japan
    Posts
    4,480
    Rumor is that McCullum is threatening to quit NZ cricket for the IPL and other T20 leagues unless his demands are met.
    Greatest Ever Test XI: JB Hobbs, L Hutton, DG Bradman (c), IVA Richards, BC Lara, GS Sobers, AC Gilchrist (wk), Imran Khan, RJ Hadlee, MD Marshall, SK Warne 12th man: M Muralitharan


    Favorite XI: WG Grace, VT Trumper, IVA Richards, DCS Compton, FMM Worrell (c), AC Gilchrist (wk), CL Cairns, SK Warne, FS Trueman, SE Bond, T Richardson 12th man: H Larwood

  6. #51
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    All Glory To The Nev
    Posts
    32,517
    that's just a really good joke right
    Indians can't bowl - Where has the rumour come from as I myself and many indian friends arwe competent fast bowlers ?

    With the English bid I said: Let us be brief. If you give back the Falkland Islands, which belong to us, you will get my vote. They then became sad and left

  7. #52
    International Captain hendrix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    6,411
    Quote Originally Posted by Days of Grace View Post
    Rumor is that McCullum is threatening to quit NZ cricket for the IPL and other T20 leagues unless his demands are met.
    lol really?

  8. #53
    State 12th Man Immenso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    700
    Quote Originally Posted by Days of Grace View Post
    Rumor is that McCullum is threatening to quit NZ cricket for the IPL and other T20 leagues unless his demands are met.
    Tbh, that sounds like a pretty silly rumour

  9. #54
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    ksfls;fsl;lsFJg/s
    Posts
    28,245
    Quote Originally Posted by Days of Grace View Post
    Rumor is that McCullum is threatening to quit NZ cricket for the IPL and other T20 leagues unless his demands are met.
    That just makes the decision even easier. He can sod off and never darken our shores again.

    We laugh at our tried and failed openers, and even Guptill, but hell I'll never say those guys wouldn't piss blood for the team. Guptill turns down big money from the IPL to work on his test game in County Cricket, and Rob Nicol despite looking well below standard strove manfully to tough it out against Steyn and co. last summer, taking numerous blows on the body. Tim McIntosh is another who was barely of the requisite class but **** did he dig in.

    McCullum just throws it away time and time again then has a tantrum when he doesn't get his own way.

    I want names. I want to know who is in each camp. Frankly I'd be shocked if the bowlers back McCullum since Taylor is the only reason they ever get a total above 200 to defend most of the time, and Williamson and Flynn present very different attitudes to the game to McCullum. Frankly there aren't too many guys around who can say they're a class above the other options, even if that class isn't a very high one.

    edit: and can someone please take a census of radiosport callers so we can deport them? Every time someone calls in backing the bottomless bucket I kill a puppy.
    Last edited by Flem274*; 03-12-2012 at 02:54 AM.

  10. #55
    International Vice-Captain Days of Grace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Takasaki, Japan
    Posts
    4,480
    I wouldn't be surprised if it were true.

    Really feel for Taylor.

  11. #56
    State 12th Man Immenso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    700
    Quote Originally Posted by Days of Grace View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if it were true.

    .
    Hmmmm, yeah I would be.
    But I wouldn't be surprised if some lunatic has rung a radio station with a crackpot rumour or theory ......
    Last edited by Immenso; 03-12-2012 at 03:20 AM.

  12. #57
    U19 12th Man
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    269
    Quote Originally Posted by Days of Grace View Post
    Rumor is that McCullum is threatening to quit NZ cricket for the IPL and other T20 leagues unless his demands are met.
    If any of that happens to be true NZC really are ********. Let him **** off and become a mercenary we don't need that turd.

  13. #58
    Global Moderator Prince EWS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Moving to Somalia
    Posts
    43,393
    Phlegm's posts in this thread are so weird.
    ~ Cribbage

    Quote Originally Posted by Riggins View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by simonlee48 View Post
    Sanga has done well but Murali has done better. In my opinion, Murali is simply the best off spinner in history of cricket and I can't make that kind of statement for Sanga.
    Sanga isn't the best off spinner in the history of cricket? News to me.

  14. #59
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    ksfls;fsl;lsFJg/s
    Posts
    28,245
    It's because I'm fuming. Haven't been this pissed off about cricket in a long time.

  15. #60
    Global Moderator Prince EWS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Moving to Somalia
    Posts
    43,393
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    It's because I'm fuming. Haven't been this pissed off about cricket in a long time.
    Yeah but you're fuming for a really weird reason.

    If this is true I think it's a ridiculous decision too. But it's ridiculous because Taylor's captaincy has been decent and parts of the team are really improving under his reign. The timing in particular of this decision (if true etc) is what really makes no sense.

    The content of your rants seems to be focused on the fact that you think Taylor is a better batsman than McCullum. Well no ****. I'm sure Hesson and whoever else is responsible for selecting the national captain realise that too, so you're basically just making a straw man. The captaincy isn't something you just automatically give to the best batsman in the side; you give it to the best captain in the side who has a cemented place. I think Taylor is a better captain than McCullum would be too but the fact that he scores more runs than him means two fifths of **** all here.
    Last edited by Prince EWS; 03-12-2012 at 03:22 AM.

Page 4 of 59 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Captaincy - does it or doesn't it?
    By hang on in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 19-02-2011, 09:38 AM
  2. Captaincy; how important is it?
    By AlanJLegend in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 06-04-2010, 02:02 AM
  3. Captaincy
    By Jakester1288 in forum Coaching and Equipment Forum
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 28-10-2009, 01:12 AM
  4. Chris Gayle willing to quit West Indies captaincy
    By roseboy64 in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 71
    Last Post: 19-05-2009, 08:12 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •