Page 38 of 59 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast

Thread: Ross Taylor likely to be shafted from the captaincy?

Hall of Fame Member NZTailender's Avatar
    Yeah take back the bad things I said about McCullum, seems like he was a passive party in this.
    President of SKAS - Kat is King | Proud member of CVAAS - One of the best | LRPLTAS - Rosco rocks!
    The NZTailender Supporting XI:
    H Rutherford, T Latham, N Broom, M Bracewell, D Brownlie, BJ Watling, D de Boorder+, M Henry, B Wheeler, H Bennett, A Milne
    Go Tigers!
    R.I.P. Fardin & Craig

Just listened to that Taylor interview, and geez, it was hard to listen to.

NZC really have completely screwed Taylor over, and you can hear in his voice through the whole interview how hurt he is by the whole situation.

I don't think anyone could blame him for telling NZC to go get stuffed and go and play T20 tournaments around the world.

International Coach HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    Rummaging through Iain O'Brien's dustbins.
    Quote Originally Posted by NZTailender View Post
    Yeah take back the bad things I said about McCullum, seems like he was a passive party in this.
    Yeah, passive. Pfft. Didn't back up Ross at all, did he. Given the shambles and the fact that he'll be captaining in RSA without his best batsman, I'd expect anyone in this situation to say "thanks, but no thanks". How can a reasonable man take this job now? He's guilty by association. He doesn't have to have said or done anything, but he hasn't backed up his team mate and supposed friend.
    >>>>>>WHHOOOOOOOOOSHHHHHHH>>>>>>
    Fascist Dictator of the Heath Davis Appreciation Society
    Supporting Petone's Finest since the very start - Iain O'Brien
    Adam Wheater - Another batsman off the Essex production line
    Also Supporting the All Time #1 Batsman of All Time Ever - Jacques Kallis and the much maligned Peter Siddle.

Vimes tells it how it is:
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    Heath worryingly quick.

Hall of Fame Member NZTailender's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    He doesn't have to have said or done anything, but he hasn't backed up his team mate and supposed friend.
    I thought it a bit weird when talking about this whole thing that he was insulted by the accusations, and made it entirely about himself. Didn't say anything about Taylor directly, or even that he would back him up and stuff. And when he talked about their relationship it wasn't exactly warm and glowing. Seem like two completely different people who are forced to interact through a common interest.
    Last edited by NZTailender; 08-12-2012 at 04:25 AM.

It's painfully obvious Hesson and White threw the whole "Test captaincy" bit in at the 11th hour realising how farcical it would look to strip Taylor of it after he inspired them to a rare away win. Hesson was utterly unconvincing in his attempts to clarify the misinterpretation around that point.

I'm not normally such a fan of Tony Veitch, but felt he handled all 3 of those interviews with the right level of inquiry and he didn't seem to miss anything major.
    Last edited by Zinzan; 08-12-2012 at 05:24 AM.

School Boy/Girl Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Zinzan View Post
    It's painfully obvious Hesson and White threw the whole "Test captaincy" bit in at the 11th hour realising how farcical it would look to strip Taylor of it after he inspired them to a rare away win. Hesson was utterly unconvincing in his attempts to clarify the misinterpretation around that point.

I'm not normally such a fan of Tony Veitch, but felt he handled all 3 of those interviews with the right level of inquiry and he didn't seem to miss anything major.
    I kind of agree re Veitch but the question he glaringly ommited was 'did you not think to tell Ross he was still captain of the test team when you told him of the recommendation you were about to make to dump him as captain?' it would have clearly lessened the fall and made what Hesson was saying a little easier to hear. It's the obvious question that Hesson needs to answer.

As you say, Hesson clearly didn't have this in mind at the time and he's lying through his ****ing teeth now. Gimp.

Taylor then screwed Hesson's planned coup by playing two captain's knocks and winning us a test against the odds. I really think Hesson is an odious little scrotum. McCullum is culpable to an extent as well. **** them both.
    Last edited by Neil Young; 08-12-2012 at 07:33 AM.

International Vice-Captain BeeGee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    Yeah, passive. Pfft. Didn't back up Ross at all, did he. Given the shambles and the fact that he'll be captaining in RSA without his best batsman, I'd expect anyone in this situation to say "thanks, but no thanks". How can a reasonable man take this job now? He's guilty by association. He doesn't have to have said or done anything, but he hasn't backed up his team mate and supposed friend.
    Quote Originally Posted by NZTailender View Post
    I thought it a bit weird when talking about this whole thing that he was insulted by the accusations, and made it entirely about himself. Didn't say anything about Taylor directly, or even that he would back him up and stuff. And when he talked about their relationship it wasn't exactly warm and glowing. Seem like two completely different people who are forced to interact through a common interest.
    Agree with these posts. I'm happy to accept McCullum wasn't a major player in this saga, but he didn't back Taylor up at all and by the looks of what's happening in the media now the only beneficiary of this whole sorry saga is going to come out of this smelling like roses.

I noticed a little Freudian slip in his media statement the other day:

Brendon McCullum hits back at criticism | Stuff.co.nz

"I had absolutely no involvement in that recommendation whatsoever. I was asked if I would lead the one-day and Twenty20 team two days ago, and yesterday I was asked if I'd lead the test team after Ross turned it down. That's about as much involvement as I've had in the entire situation."
    What does "about" mean? He didn't say that's all the involvement he had had, he said that's about as much involvement as I've had.

I need to put my conspiracy theory av back on.

you're really clutching at straws here.

Cricket: NZ dispirited under Taylor - Sport - NZ Herald News

This article is such bull**** and doesn't make sense:
    The Herald on Sunday spoke to some of the best minds in New Zealand cricket, many closely placed to the team. The picture consistently painted - and there are two schools of thought on the Taylor issue - is of a coach who thought change had to be made if performance was to be lifted; change which couldn't wait
    Ok, so then why offer him the test captaincy at all?
    Naturally not a loquacious leader, Taylor could afford to speak less under former coach John Wright, who conducted more dressing room talk. Hesson prefers to leave it to the captain
    And Taylor prefers to leave it to the coach...Who's wrong here?
    "Without doubt (it had to happen)" was a phrase used by one source in relation to of Hesson's decision. There was also a strong school of thought that stressed Taylor was honest, loyal and had no hidden agendas. There were those in the team prepared to follow him but there was no question, sources said, that some in the team were tiring of his captaincy style
    "tiring of his captaincy style"? You're not ****ing playing cricket for leisure mate. It's a bloody job. You don't have to enjoy his captaincy.

To Taylor's credit, he was using his initiative to improve himself privately but the damage had been done. The bowlers were a particular case study. It was suggested there was not enough encouragement or empathy as they went about their toil. Some would argue an angry bowler hungry to get wickets to please a glaring skipper is a good thing, but it had become overused as a strategy
    Yes. An overused strategy that has consistently got the best out of the bowlers for the past 6 months and turned Southee from a pie chucker to the form swing bowler of the world.

There is no dispute he produced the runs but Hesson apparently felt leadership of an international sports team required more, given the side is basically a second family much of the year.
    Again, why offer him the test captaincy if he's so convinced he's no up to it?

International Debutant Viscount Tom's Avatar
    They're basically in the pocket of the board.
    AT-XI
    #J.Hobbs; #L.Hutton; #D.Bradman; #V.Richards; #G.Sobers; #A.Border; #A.Gilchrist; #K.Miller; #I.Khan; #S.Warne; #M.Marshall;

Quote Originally Posted by Viscount Tom View Post
    I don't know if money would've changed hands but I can definitely see a couple of board members wanting to anonymously give themselves support after the bashing they've taken.

U19 12th Man
    White is a bald headed lying ****wit, **** him off!

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Viscount Tom View Post
    Nah, while the Herald has its fair share of moronic writers and readers, Alderson is quality. If that was Rattue I would have disregarded it but Alderson knows his stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Anyway, that article raises some good points, however

-was Taylor given enough time to improve?
    -what will make McCullum a good captain that Taylor doesn't have?

Haven't really seen many answers to number two yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    Nah, while the Herald has its fair share of moronic writers and readers, Alderson is quality. If that was Rattue I would have disregarded it but Alderson knows his stuff.
    Whether Alderson knows his stuff or not doesn't change the fact that the article doesn't make sense.

Problems with his captaincy? Yes, we know. It's been documented.

Not once does he point out that it's the coach's job to work with the players, including the captain, on their deficiencies.

Not once does he point out that it's as much the coach's job as the captain's to gee up the boys - some would say more if you've ever seen american sports movies.

And after all of this, if he's such a terrible captain, why would you offer him the test captaincy?

The argument that Hesson was doing this for the best of the team simply becomes not credible.

Page 38 of 59 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast

Thread Information