• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ross Taylor likely to be shafted from the captaincy?

BeeGee

International Captain
What I don't get about all this is why couldn't Hesson and the NZC have just come out and said the truth?
Because, like politicians and other people of low morals, his first instinct is to lie and cover his ass. It's not in his nature to be honest and front up when called out on something. But unlike politicians, he's just not intelligent enough to pull it off successfully.

Binkley

U19 Captain
Even if Hesson is telling the truth, and is an awesome coach - his position is still untenable. He has certainly lost the faith of the public, and if that has happened I would be very surprised if he still has the faith of the players. And a coach who people are not willing to trust or listen to is likely to be as effective as Jeetan Patel's tactics with the bat when facing Dale Steyn.

Binkley

U19 Captain
If NZC do nothing, then Bond has to resign. You can't come out with statements like this without having the willingness to back them up with deeds.
I agree. Good on him for speaking out though. And his approach was spot on. Writing formally to the Board rather than going out in public. I have changed my avatar in his honour. He and Buchanan seem to be the only guys within NZC to have any integrity. I wouldn't be surprised to see them both gone.

jcas0167

International Debutant
What I don't get about all this is why couldn't Hesson and the NZC have just come out and said the truth? It's really not that bad, imagine a public statement back in December along the lines of:

We initially had decided that Taylor should be removed from all three forms of the Captaincy. However, after Ross' superb efforts as both a player and a captain in the 2nd test under trying circumstances, we realised our mistake and have choosen to retain him as test captain going forward.

There's nothing inherently wrong with realising they erred, provided that all and sundry can come out and admit it. Don't they understand that what's pissing everybody off at this point is the unending deluge of barefaced bull****? RAAAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHH!!!!!!
Absolutely. I was really hopeful that Hesson would do well and had seen comments he was a good coach with Otago. But after this I think for the good of NZC he has to go. Bond can takeover as interim coach.

I hope that the insistence on keeping him on isn't that NZC can't afford a payout. After all they couldn't afford a warm up tour before the Windies, maybe they just can't afford to sack Hesson?

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Not quite as shocking revelations as had been promised, though confirmation of what was already known.

Someone tell Hesson to **** off already. White too. I haven't enjoyed NZ's next top model cricket coach over the last few years however Hesson's position is, to use that wonderful word, untenable.

After he is sacked I suspect Taylor would accept a split captaincy and I think that would be the most acceptable compromise.

Binkley

U19 Captain
Here is White's response.

So Shane's letter was apparently "opinion-based" and "contains a number of inaccuracies". Hmmm. I suspect a former Policeman probably knows a thing or two about making observations, weighing the evidence, truth and drawing conclusions.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Here is White's response.

So Shane's letter was apparently "opinion-based" and "contains a number of inaccuracies". Hmmm. I suspect a former Policeman probably knows a thing or two about making observations, weighing the evidence, truth and drawing conclusions.
'opinion-based' and 'contains a number of inaccuracies' surely describes everything Hesson and White have said and indeed done since this began

banquetbear

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
...the Onion Headline would be "David White insists letter written by former policeman Shane Bond was full of inaccuracies."

I don't care what Bob Carter or Mike Sandle have said to NZ Cricket in private. Lets hear what they have to say. As an employer I've never had meetings with employees to discuss employment issue without giving them an option of having representation. I still believe my conspiracy theory that Bracewell and Guptill missed the early part of the tour so that Taylor wouldn't have a support base around him. I'm sure Hesson's master plan was to make Taylors job as difficult to do as possible including not talking to him and making dumb on the field calls. Hesson probably expected Taylor to resign at the meeting but he didn't.

banquetbear

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
...and just one other thing to think about: Hesson has already come out and admitted that he never actually said that Taylor was only loosing the one day and T20 captaincy. Hesson states that Taylor should have understood that in the context of the meeting (apparently it was a debrief on the early part of the tour) Taylor should have just known what was being talked about. Bond's account does not contradict this at all.

jcas0167

International Debutant
...and just one other thing to think about: Hesson has already come out and admitted that he never actually said that Taylor was only loosing the one day and T20 captaincy. Hesson states that Taylor should have understood that in the context of the meeting (apparently it was a debrief on the early part of the tour) Taylor should have just known what was being talked about. Bond's account does not contradict this at all.
Good point.

Hesson yesterday claimed he meant Taylor would lose only the limited overs captaincy, though Fairfax understands Taylor was unaware of that fact. Hesson conceded he could have been clearer.

"The meeting was a review of the one-day series . . . but I didn't mention if [the change] was one form, two forms or three forms," he said.

"During our discussions, there was opportunities to get clarification. I understand through the media that he didn't know that and I certainly regret that."

Last edited:

BeeGee

International Captain
Yes, it does.

Here is the lie:

Hesson yesterday claimed he meant Taylor would lose only the limited overs captaincy
Here is Bond's account which contradicts Hesson:

"At no time during my conversations with Mike Hesson, that mostly included Bob Carter and/or the manager was the captaincy spilt ever suggested.

"It was clear to me that Ross Taylor was to be removed as captain from all three formats."
So after meeting with Hesson, Taylor was left in no doubt that he was being stripped of the captaincy in all three formats.

In a completely separate conversation with Hesson, Bond was left in no doubt that Taylor was being stripped of the captaincy in all three formats.

Either Bond and Taylor are both idiots or Hesson is lying.

Last edited:

Polo23

International Debutant
I feel so sorry for Taylor and Bond right now. I think Bond leaving as bowling coach would be almost as devastating as Taylor not being there as batsman, he seems to be doing such a good job guiding our young bowlers.

Absolute madness nothing is being done about Hesson, have also lost all respect for McCullum, especially given it's debatable he even deserves a spot in the team.

Taylor, Bond and Buchanan, the only 3 people within NZC that I see as having any integrity left, anything they say i'm taking as gospel.

Mike5181

International Captain
Absolute madness nothing is being done about Hesson, have also lost all respect for McCullum, especially given it's debatable he even deserves a spot in the team.
Disagree with this, and it's not the first time someone has said it. For some reason, people seem to be under the impression that McCullum's place in the side is unjustified. That's simply not the case. He's far from being a world class batsman, but whilst guys like Guptill, Flynn etc are in the team, there really shouldn't be question marks over his place in the side. Even if it's not saying much, he's clearly been the best opener we've had seen Mark Richardson.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Disagree with this, and it's not the first time someone has said it. For some reason, people seem to be under the impression that McCullum's place in the side is unjustified. That's simply not the case. He's far from being a world class batsman, but whilst guys like Guptill, Flynn etc are in the team, there really shouldn't be question marks over his place in the side. Even if it's not saying much, he's clearly been the best opener we've had seen Mark Richardson.
No-one disputes that his slot is safe as an opener, but he clearly has his heart set on the middle order where his spot would be far from safe if he wasn't captain.

SilentOne

U19 12th Man
That David White interview with Veitchy was terrible, white didn't come across as a strong CEO with honesty and Integrity.

**** him off

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
...quotes from Bond to NZ Cricket:
Sourced from here:

https://www.facebook.com/breakfastwithveitchy

If your just catching up: this is the information that was held up yesterday by legal teams from NZ Cricket. This letter was sent to Bond on the evening prior to Chris Mollers press conference last year and was the information that Moller was refering to.

Bond is a good bloke and all, but this was written weeks ago and really doesn't contain any more information than what a halfwit could have seen through Hesson's bull****.

If White wasn't such a dumb ****, he should have been able see through Hesson's lies and just asked him for the truth - that he'd wanted to dump Taylor from all three formats and had changed his tune following Taylor's MOTM performance in Galle.

We already knew that Hesson was lying.

The only person that this "new information" reflects poorly on is White himself and the board. The fact that they continued to go with the "misunderstanding" spin to the NZ public when it was clear what had happened to everyone just shows how far their heads are in the sand.

Last edited:

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think Bond leaving as bowling coach would be almost as devastating as Taylor not being there as batsman, he seems to be doing such a good job guiding our young bowlers.
Yeah, exactly. That was my first thought when I heard about this.