• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ross Taylor likely to be shafted from the captaincy?

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Shocking developments that will "rip the heart out of NZ cricket fans" promised after 7am apparently.

banquetbear

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
...so the revelations:

Shane Bond is one of the good guys.

Hesson is a liar.

NZ Cricket has been sitting on information that Hesson is a liar.

Shane Bond accused Hesson of sabotaging Taylors captaincy.

The coaching team were shocked when Hesson fired Taylor.

McCullum clearly knew what was going on.

banquetbear

...quotes from Bond to NZ Cricket:

"The coaching staff were present, as were the manager. At the end of the meeting the captaincy issue was raised. Mike stated that we needed a new captain in order to move forward. Brendon McCullum had to be captain, his opinion that Ross was not up to it."

"On arrival in Galle I bumped into Bob Carter in an open corridor where he informed me he'd just been in a meeting with Mike Sandle and Mike Hesson where the latter told Ross he was no longer wanted as captain."

"Bob was clearly a little stunned and commented on how upset Ross was."

"I later bumped into Mike on the way to dinner. He informed me that he'd told Ross he was no longer wanted as captain. I stated that the timing was completely inappropriate and he had most likely affected the ability of the captain to perform and it seemed like sabotage."

"I went to see Ross to console him and offer my support."

"On returning home I've witnessed the change of captain and the public fall out."

"I've congratulated the new captain by text and have had a positive response from him."

"I've followed the media coverage intently including TV, print, online and radio."

"I've listened fully to interviews with Ross, Mike and David White."

"I've found the content of these interviews distressing. I believe the coach has been dishonest in his assertion around the miscommunication of the captaincy split with Ross."

"At no time during my conversations with Mike Hesson, that mostly included Bob Carter and/or the manager was the captaincy spilt ever suggested."

It was clear to me that Ross Taylor was to be removed as captain from all three formats.

I have no issue with the coaching wanting his own captain, I think that is correct.

I believe Brendon was aware of this as Mike stated he was the man to lead the team forward.

I don't believe he would have initiated the conversation with Ross unless he knew Brendon would accept.

I believe Brendon would've been prepared for that scenario.

Putting Taylor aside, this leaves me personally in an extremely difficult position.

By remaining silent I believe I become complicit in what has occurred, which I believe is the calculated removal of the captain and the subsequent cover up to save face.

If I speak up I risk alienating a number of people, the coaches, manager and the new captain.

I love my job and I believe I can make a difference moving forward.

If asked about this situation I feel I am compelled to be honest and tell my version of events.

And moreover, the position of coaches and managers must have integrity at their core.

I'm certain of the facts that I've set out here which are clearly in conflict with media interviews.
Sourced from here:

https://www.facebook.com/breakfastwithveitchy

If your just catching up: this is the information that was held up yesterday by legal teams from NZ Cricket. This letter was sent to Bond on the evening prior to Chris Mollers press conference last year and was the information that Moller was refering to.

Blain

U19 Captain
Slimey pricks. We all knew it, but this just shows what wanks are running the game in this country.

Good on you Shane Bond for speaking up. Imagine if he is fired from the coaching staff, I think Hesson would officially be public enemy number 1.

They are just trying to sweep this under the rug, but the rug aint big enough to cover all their ****.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Big difference between rumour and innuendo and a public statement though.
Yeah, true. It's still a big deal, but I guess I was just hoping for something a bit more juicy and interesting than "Ross was told he wasn't wanted at all before the split captaincy thing came up later" because there was just no way I'd ever believe anything to the contrary anyway.

What's the bet the only fallout from this is Bond being sacked or "resigning" from is position?

Last edited:

Binkley

U19 Captain
White has already come out and said "it's not an issue" and that there is no chance that Hesson will be removed from his coaching role. Jesus wept. New Zealand Cricket has absolutely no integrity to it does it? A written statement from the bowling coach saying that the head coach deliberating undermined his captain and then lied about it to cover his arse - and its nothing to worry about?! Blood hell. I am speechless.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If NZC do nothing, then Bond has to resign. You can't come out with statements like this without having the willingness to back them up with deeds.

BeeGee

International Captain
White has already come out and said "it's not an issue" and that there is no chance that Hesson will be removed from his coaching role. Jesus wept. New Zealand Cricket has absolutely no integrity to it does it? A written statement from the bowling coach saying that the head coach deliberating undermined his captain and then lied about it to cover his arse - and its nothing to worry about?! Blood hell. I am speechless.
Fun days to be a NZ cricket supporter, ay? NZC is being run by Dumb and Dumber.

How Bond and Taylor can have a successful working relationship with Hesson after all this, is beyond me.

Hesson is a ****ing lowlife. Just fyi.

Last edited:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
If NZC do nothing, then Bond has to resign. You can't come out with statements like this without having the willingness to back them up with deeds.
Not necessarily. Hesson and Bond are meant to have had a "robust" debate about the letter to the NZC when they first arrived in SA, and agreed to move on.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Not necessarily. Hesson and Bond are meant to have had a "robust" debate about the letter to the NZC when they first arrived in SA, and agreed to move on.
That's as maybe, but that means Bond has caved in and he loses face. The only way he doesn't lose face is by resigning - that's more what I meant.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
What I don't get about all this is why couldn't Hesson and the NZC have just come out and said the truth? It's really not that bad, imagine a public statement back in December along the lines of:

We initially had decided that Taylor should be removed from all three forms of the Captaincy. However, after Ross' superb efforts as both a player and a captain in the 2nd test under trying circumstances, we realised our mistake and have choosen to retain him as test captain going forward.

There's nothing inherently wrong with realising they erred, provided that all and sundry can come out and admit it. Don't they understand that what's pissing everybody off at this point is the unending deluge of barefaced bull****? RAAAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHH!!!!!!

Last edited:

banquetbear

...as someone in the comments in one of the stuff articles points out: this morning's revelations put into perspective this other cricket story that I read today:

Black Caps | John Buchanan's message: Sort it out... | Stuff.co.nz

Buchanan would not go into the report's details, but said bringing in experts on short-term contracts was not necessarily the answer.
Perhaps there are plans afoot to get rid of Bond and this was Buchanan's not too subtle public attempt to put a stop to that. There is a clear division in the ranks: Hesson is clearly working with the approval of the board and White, and everyone else lining up on the other side. And the board and White are circling the wagons...