• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ross Taylor likely to be shafted from the captaincy?

jcas0167

International Debutant
Incredible interview with Taylor. How could Hesson, Sandle or Carter have thought that 4 days before the 1st SL test was a good time to discuss changing the captaincy?

Just listening to McCullum interview. I feel he has been unfairly maligned in this.

Flem274*

123/5
Hello, 3 News are claiming they've got goss from Williamson, Flynn and Boult aws. Will see how this pans out after the ads.

Flem274*

123/5
Regarding McCullum: despite his tendency to get caught next to the empty biscuit jar we might need to give him the benefit of the doubt here as things stand. McCullum was always going to come out swinging of course (most people would, especially if they were innocent), but Taylor's exonerated him of playing an active role and he was pretty damn honest in that interview.

I dunno, we might need to wait for the books in 5-10 years but for now I'll see. I don't think he's the right choice for skipper at all still ftr. Now, if you'll excuse me I probably have some page 1-3 rants to edit.:ph34r:

eddit: I still think Heef's post (either here or cricsim) still stands.

Last edited:

cnerd123

likes this
Yea, sounds like McCullum was innocent in all this, and there was no such Taylor vs. McCullum split in the camp, going by Taylor's interview.

Looks like Hesson just being an ass.

Flem274*

123/5
Hello, 3 News are claiming they've got goss from Williamson, Flynn and Boult aws. Will see how this pans out after the ads.
So it was pretty much what Taylor said: no one bar Guptill knew what was going on. I can't remember off the top of my head if McCullum knew about the meeting 48 hours before the first test.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I can't remember off the top of my head if McCullum knew about the meeting 48 hours before the first test.
Nope he didn't.

Not just Hesson being an ass.

The team manager Mike Sandle as well, and the batting coach Bob Carter.

Munters.

Mike5181

International Captain
So it was pretty much what Taylor said: no one bar Guptill knew what was going on. I can't remember off the top of my head if McCullum knew about the meeting 48 hours before the first test.
I think he knew they weren't getting along too well, but he wasn't involved in any of the recommendations, and was contacted 2 or 3 days ago with the offer of being captain in the ODI/T20I formats after they had dumped Taylor. Then understandably the next day Taylor felt he couldn't continue being test captain in that environment, so they gave it to McCullum.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Regarding McCullum: despite his tendency to get caught next to the empty biscuit jar we might need to give him the benefit of the doubt here as things stand. McCullum was always going to come out swinging of course (most people would, especially if they were innocent), but Taylor's exonerated him of playing an active role and he was pretty damn honest in that interview.

eddit: I still think Heef's post (either here or cricsim) still stands.
There's a large part of me that just wants to believe, despite the circumstances, that McCullum hasn't had a big role in this. Otherwise I would find it very difficult to support a team led by him.

Don't tell me otherwise.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Yeah take back the bad things I said about McCullum, seems like he was a passive party in this.

James

Cricket Web Owner
Just listened to that Taylor interview, and geez, it was hard to listen to.

NZC really have completely screwed Taylor over, and you can hear in his voice through the whole interview how hurt he is by the whole situation.

I don't think anyone could blame him for telling NZC to go get stuffed and go and play T20 tournaments around the world.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah take back the bad things I said about McCullum, seems like he was a passive party in this.
Yeah, passive. Pfft. Didn't back up Ross at all, did he. Given the shambles and the fact that he'll be captaining in RSA without his best batsman, I'd expect anyone in this situation to say "thanks, but no thanks". How can a reasonable man take this job now? He's guilty by association. He doesn't have to have said or done anything, but he hasn't backed up his team mate and supposed friend.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
He doesn't have to have said or done anything, but he hasn't backed up his team mate and supposed friend.
I thought it a bit weird when talking about this whole thing that he was insulted by the accusations, and made it entirely about himself. Didn't say anything about Taylor directly, or even that he would back him up and stuff. And when he talked about their relationship it wasn't exactly warm and glowing. Seem like two completely different people who are forced to interact through a common interest.

Last edited:

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's painfully obvious Hesson and White threw the whole "Test captaincy" bit in at the 11th hour realising how farcical it would look to strip Taylor of it after he inspired them to a rare away win. Hesson was utterly unconvincing in his attempts to clarify the misinterpretation around that point.

I'm not normally such a fan of Tony Veitch, but felt he handled all 3 of those interviews with the right level of inquiry and he didn't seem to miss anything major.

Last edited: