• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ross Taylor likely to be shafted from the captaincy?

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Tried listening to Radio Sport for non-commentary purposes for the first time in years today. Is it just me or have the ads and general marketing ploys on the station gotten really ***ist?

Howsie

International Captain
lol, what. McCullum's manager was part of the selection committee that hired Mike Hesson. HOW THE **** DOES THAT HAPPEN?

New Zealand Cricket huh.

Mike5181

International Captain
Pretty sure Jesse clearly has no intention of playing for the BCs again going by his retweets https://twitter.com/DijaRyder

Matt Matahaere ‏@EssDotBlack

Why is New Zealand Cricket pushing out our Maori and Pacific Island cricketers with Jesse and now Ross? #OldWhiteBoysClub
Retweeted by Dija

JabberwockyNZ ‏@BenLarter

@DijaRyder I think ALOT more people will now understand your decision to take time away from the toxic environment after this #nzcricketcoup
Retweeted by Dija
Ryder is such a ****ing idiot.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
No, he's definitely lying.

There's no way that he wouldn't make it clear if he'd really wanted Taylor to captain the test side.

I honestly wouldn't care so much if he'd just been honest and said that he wanted McCullum to be captain.

This "offered Taylor test captaincy" front is so bloody insulting.

jcas0167

International Debutant
lol, what. McCullum's manager was part of the selection committee that hired Mike Hesson. HOW THE **** DOES THAT HAPPEN?

New Zealand Cricket huh.
Doesn't seem that surprising that someone of Stephen Fleming's stature and experience would be used to help select a suitable coach.

Howsie

International Captain
Doesn't seem that surprising that someone of Stephen Fleming's stature and experience would be used to help select a suitable coach.
Nor does it seem surprising that New Zealand cricket would do something so unprofessional.

jcas0167

International Debutant
Nor does it seem surprising that New Zealand cricket would do something so unprofessional.
He was the representative for the Players Association on the panel:

Fleming will join the appointment panel to find coach John Wright's successor. He will be the New Zealand Cricket Players Association (NZCPA) representative. NZC chief executive David White will chair the panel which also includes director of cricket John Buchanan, NZC board member Rob Hart and High Performance Sport New Zealand chief executive Alex Baumann...

The NZCPA has appointed Fleming because he continues to be a strong player advocate since transitioning to a coaching role. The 39-year-old has established a sound working relationship with Chennai captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni who also leads India. Fleming's understood to apply more of a general manager approach to the role with several assistant coaching staff - like former New Zealand coach Steve Rixon - reporting to him in the operational structure.

NZCPA general manager Heath Mills says they're thrilled Fleming will act on their behalf. "Stephen is an outstanding communicator who has an excellent understanding of the modern playing environment and the skill sets the Black Caps need."
Cricket: Players' cap fits for Fleming - Black Caps - NZ Herald News

Last edited:

Mike5181

International Captain

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I still haven't seen or heard any evidence to suggest that McCullum was deliberately working to undermine Taylor and replace him. This move seems to have come from Hesson who decided that he was unable to maintain a working relationship with Taylor.
Regardless of what McCullum has or hasn't been saying behind closed doors, the fact of the matter is that he could have put this whole thing to bed by either saying:

1. "I support Ross Taylor as captain wholeheartedly"
2. "Now isn't the time to replace Ross after a successful end to the tour of Sri Lanka"
3. "I'm turning this opportunity down because this has been handled so poorly by NZC's administration and I don't feel comfortable working under these people."

The fact he has clearly done none of these three things means he lends this whole cluster**** or a debacle his tacit approval. He is complicit in these events either directly or indirectly. And neither show him in a positive light. He's either an underhand **** or a cynical opportunist.