• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ross Taylor likely to be shafted from the captaincy?

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
What I don't understand is why Hesson has committed career suicide.

He will never coach professionally again if he can't stay on and lead this side to the top. He has risked everything here.
Yes. In volunteer organisations I have been in you get some pretty crazy behaviour and power games. In the workplace where money is on the line people are generally rational because it is their career on the line. This is not rational from Hesson.

Raw speculation here -
I can only imagine that he gained support from some supporters in back room deals for his coaching bid on the understanding that he would bring Brendon into power. Now he wants to keep his word to those people and keep promises.

He seemed determined from day one.

Howsie

International Captain
Trent Woodhill - The way @RossLTaylor has been treated by the CEO, Blackcaps manager & coaching staff is a bloody disgrace. They should be made accountable.

A lot of support coming through for Taylor, from ex players, coaches, the public. Personally I can't see how Mike Hesson makes it to 2013, he's done. How he was hired to begin with if he had no desire to work with Taylor I have no idea but it's either him or Ross and in no shape or form can you back Hesson.

Flem274*

123/5
Yes. In volunteer organisations I have been in you get some pretty crazy behaviour and power games. In the workplace where money is on the line people are generally rational because it is their career on the line. This is not rational from Hesson.

Raw speculation here -
I can only imagine that he gained support from some supporters in back room deals for his coaching bid on the understanding that he would bring Brendon into power. Now he wants to keep his word to those people and keep promises.

That theory sounds reasonable to me.

Last edited:

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Big loss IMO. Crowe loves a flounce (zinzan to confirm)
Lol @ me confirming? All because I didn't believe it was him posting here right off the bat? :p

On a serious note, so much for my theory about the likes of a Crowe getting in Taylor's ear about still playing on even if it happens. I mean good on Crowe for standing up on principle but also adds to the likelihood that Taylor may walk.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
On a serious note, so much for my theory about the likes of a Crowe getting in Taylor's ear about still playing on even if it happens. I mean good on Crowe for standing up on principle but also adds to the likelihood that Taylor may walk.
Yeah, seems quite likely that this is because Crowe has already been given notice that Taylor has been stood down as captain and has decided to make himself unavailable for the SAF tour.

jcas0167

International Debutant
Raw speculation here -

Reminds me of how Laurie Mains wanted his fellow Otago man Mike Brewer as captain when he became All Blacks coach. Of course Brewer got injured during a trial and he had to go with Fitzpatrick. He made it work though. Shame Hesson apparently couldn't do the same with Taylor.

Zinzan

Would be funny if thousands of people protest outside NZ cricket headquarters tomorrow and it makes the news. :sleep:

Zinzan

Yeah, seems quite likely that this is because Crowe has already been given notice that Taylor has been stood down as captain and has decided to make himself unavailable for the SAF tour.
Yup, writings on the wall for sure. Gutted :wallbash:

Zinzan

I don't really know why the lawnbowls guy is continuously brought up.

There's no evidence of his incompetence here.
His incompetence is his background in bowls and not cricket selection. End of story.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Trent Woodhill - The way @RossLTaylor has been treated by the CEO, Blackcaps manager & coaching staff is a bloody disgrace. They should be made accountable.

A lot of support coming through for Taylor, from ex players, coaches, the public. Personally I can't see how Mike Hesson makes it to 2013, he's done. How he was hired to begin with if he had no desire to work with Taylor I have no idea but it's either him or Ross and in no shape or form can you back Hesson.
Both the WI board and PCB would back Hesson in the same circumstance. Just wondering if we have sunk to the same level.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
This situation has actually developed in a very different way to what I was imagining. I was expecting the players and support staff to be divided somewhere close to 50/50 and an almighty rift to form in New Zealand Cricket, but - so far anyway - all we've seen is support for Taylor. It seems as if Taylor has a huge amount of backing from everywhere other than where it counts which makes this a completely suicidal move from Hesson and the board.

The timing has just been absolutely absurd though. I can't believe they've chosen now of all times, even if it's true that they tried to push Taylor before the series. I mean, it even would've made sense for McCullum to come in as captain the minute Hesson was appointed as coach as a new partnership going forward; people would've swallowed that a lot better. Taylor being fit to captain the side for the tour of Sri Lanka but not now just makes absolutely no sense at all, and I think even many of those who may have believed McCullum was a better man for the job previously would agree that the timing of this decision is completely bonkers.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member

He is part of the leadership team so him, Buchanan and the rest are all in the dog house. There doesn't seem to be a virtuous leader or any common sense among any of them.

Lawnbowls guy draws comment because he has no qualifications. So he would have pleasantly surprised if things had worked out rosy. But was always going to be mocked if things became a farce. Which they have.

BackFootPunch

International 12th Man

Yeah I'm inclined to agree with this. Always seemed like a reasonable bloke and the selections they've come up with haven't been horrendous (Nicol is ave but he had performed domestically and in ODIs tbf).

Funnily enough, when Littlejohn got the job wasn't everyone crying out for Hesson to be appointed selection manager and form some sort of dream team with Wright?

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
The structure is a little confusing to me.

Selection panel:
Kim Littlejohn and Mike Hesson. Littlejohn's role is to consult with the domestic coaches and identify players. Mike Hesson has the final say. Greatbatch and Crowe and Turner are also scouts or something.

CEO: David White

Director: John Buchanan.

So presumably Buchanan is in charge of the national teams, while David White is more responsible for the finances and competitions and advertising deals etc etc?

And these people are all answerable to the board?

Is this a standard structure?

Zinzan

The timing has just been absolutely absurd though. I can't believe they've chosen now of all times, even if it's true that they tried to push Taylor before the series. I mean, it even would've made sense for McCullum to come in as captain the minute Hesson was appointed as coach as a new partnership going forward; people would've swallowed that a lot better. Taylor being fit to captain the side for the tour of Sri Lanka but not now just makes absolutely no sense at all, and I think even many of those who may have believed McCullum was a better man for the job previously would agree that the timing of this decision is completely bonkers.
Yup, bang on the money about the timing. Doing it immediately following a rare Test victory does nothing more than confirm that Hesson had an ulterior motive the whole time.

James

Cricket Web Owner
Yup, bang on the money about the timing. Doing it immediately following a rare Test victory does nothing more than confirm that Hesson had an ulterior motive the whole time.
Exactly.

What I'm wondering about is which "senior players" are backing McCullum for captain in place of Taylor. You look at our recent teams, and long-timers Vettori, Mills, Oram not being involved in Sri Lanka - who is actually "senior"?

It really does sound a toxic environment to be involved with from the top all the way down to the team itself.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Mills was over there for the ODIs - Franko has been around for a while although in and out of the side recently.

Oram may still be counted amongst the mix as he has been in the team recently.

Zinzan

Exactly.

What I'm wondering about is which "senior players" are backing McCullum for captain in place of Taylor. You look at our recent teams, and long-timers Vettori, Mills, Oram not being involved in Sri Lanka - who is actually "senior"?

It really does sound a toxic environment to be involved with from the top all the way down to the team itself.
In terms of longevity the senior players are Franklin, Patel, Guptill, Flynn and Southee. With the exception of Franklin, hardly old-timers.