• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ross Taylor likely to be shafted from the captaincy?

BeeGee

International Captain
Sachin brings out the paddle again. Plays that shot pretty well.
Um... wrong thread.

Unless "Sachin brings out the paddle again" is an obscure metaphor for NZC being a bunch of incompetent dickwads, in which case, AWTA.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, he did, and that's the way you do these things.

You want him gone as captain so you take away T20 and ODI (you can legitimately point to team performance as the reason) and ask him to reconsider his position as Test captain, hoping he will resign, in which case you can announce it was his decision to step down as Test captain.
If he doesn't step down, in a season or two, you can point out how well the T20 and ODI teams are going under their new captain, and for continuity sake, you can then give the replacement the Test captaincy also.

It's the classic corporate move, if you don't have the balls or guts to fire someone outright, then take away their power until they resign. If they don't resign, continue to undermine them until you can fire them and no one will care because they don't have any power or influence anymore anyway.

I know why they're doing it, I just want to hear them justify it.

The NZ cricket fans and general public.

Ross Taylor quits NZC. The NZ team goes from being poor to being a joke. Attendance levels at cricket games plummet. Ratings go down. The value of television rights drop. NZC revenue falls. Top Test teams don't want to play NZ anymore.

Riots, gnashing of teeth, military coups, etc. The usual thing.
Some top cynicism here, though you forgot the part where the people responsible later slip away, their part in the saga obscured, their reputations intact, perhaps a golden handshake and a shining reference to bring to the next unsuspecting employer.

Last edited:

cnerd123

likes this
What's wrong with Taylor keeping the Test Captaincy to prove a point?

Go to RSA, score a ton of runs, win a game. Maybe score a ton of runs after than in all formats, lead the Test team out of the hole it's in, get awards and accolades from all over the world, and generally prove a point that the board and coach are all basically dicks and wrong about him?

Actually...I can see what's wrong. They'll just claim it's all Hesson's work and that stripping Taylor of captaincy in ODIs and T20 are what made him so good in Tests and thus it was a genius move. Plus Taylor will have to put up with McCullum and Hesson during all this...

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Jesse Ryder - Angers me watching @RossLTaylor getting dumped on. Show him some ****ing support NZC

Obvs a big fan of New Zealand cricket....

I ****ing love Jesse.

That is a man with integrity.

Yeah, he did, and that's the way you do these things.

You want him gone as captain so you take away T20 and ODI (you can legitimately point to team performance as the reason) and ask him to reconsider his position as Test captain, hoping he will resign, in which case you can announce it was his decision to step down as Test captain.
If he doesn't step down, in a season or two, you can point out how well the T20 and ODI teams are going under their new captain, and for continuity sake, you can then give the replacement the Test captaincy also.

It's the classic corporate move, if you don't have the balls or guts to fire someone outright, then take away their power until they resign. If they don't resign, continue to undermine them until you can fire them and no one will care because they don't have any power or influence anymore anyway.

I know why they're doing it, I just want to hear them justify it.
This is sickening.

Flem274*

123/5
Iain O'Brien has his twitter box going I hear. Time to go for a look.

edit: found the goods. Very buys tweeter tonight is the great man.

Is there a way I can go back and find my tweet that said I didn't like the appointment of Hesson??
@sportdaggers crazy stuff…. NZC and coach looking a bit silly at the mo! Go to http://Stuff.co.nz/sport/cricket - have a read..
@jaysonryan not much I can add…. another NZC fail.
@sportdaggers so sad! NZC just going about things wrong, again. A bit like ECB and Pieterson this summer… strange stuff!
@sportdaggers egos! damn egos!

Last edited:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
My predictions for SA tour

NZ to win test series 2-0.

McCullum to score a hundred in every innings and take a 10 wicket bag in the second test to boot.

Kallis to recognise McCullum as the superior cricketer

Taylor and Hesson to make out on public television.

Bahnz to overdo the Nitrous-oxide and be rushed to hospital.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Woosh... serious lack of actual information here. Would really love to know what's going on.

Anyone here able to install a secret camera at NZC headquarters? Hack into the NZC mainframe using top secret codez? Bug a Hesson and McCullum love-in in the changerooms? Get the inside story on what Rossco was really doing with all that KFC?

I want answers dammit

Binkley

U19 Captain
I mean ****, while I don't think McCullum should be our national skipper, it's not even really that which is the biggest **** up here.

-The coach actively worked against the national captain with at least one other senior player
-The coach and this senior player went full speed ahead with their coup regardless of results, suggesting this has been in the works for a long time
-Someone within NZC has leaked all of this, hanging the national skipper, the face of the game in this country, out to dry and publicly humiliated him
-Other players around the issue are calling out their employer publicly
-Members of NZC didn't even wait until their CEO was in the country before proceeding with aiding this coup
-They have previous history, a long and proud history in fact, of complete and utter incompetence
And, to my mind, one of the worst aspects of this:
- No-one from NZC has had the basic decency to say a single thing in support of ANY of the players. I mean any halfway decent CEO, coach or Chair of the Board would have said "he is our best batsman and contributes a great deal to the New Zealand side" - even if they had already made up their mind to sack him.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
RS Breakfast Show - YouTube

Ross won't tour. He will refuse a compromise offer today to captain the Test side, host Veitch claims as his mail. Team Ross continues slipping titbits that portray Hesson as being essentially made of human parts.

Blain

U19 Captain
I hold no bad feelings towards McCullum tbh. I believe he has nothing to do with it (the decision). Hesson and the board want him as captain, he hardly would have bribed everyone to get rid of Taylor. I bet you he feels **** about the situation, would love it if he turned down the captaincy. The guys in the media reckon the same, he bats selfishly at times, but I haven't heard anything bad about him as a bloke.

The board and Hesson have completely screwed this up. And then have just sat on thier fat arses and not said a word while the story gets thrashed in the media. Just true idiots.

I want to see Ross say f*ck ya, holiday time. But from a fans perspective we need him there.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I hold no bad feelings towards McCullum tbh.
Yeah, we've villainised McCullum a bit unfairly here.

He almost holds the key to the only way we could get through this. If he turns down the captaincy and asks Taylor to come back we might get Taylor on the plane.

He'll still have to deal with that nitwit hesson though...

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, we've villainised McCullum a bit unfairly here.

He almost holds the key to the only way we could get through this. If he turns down the captaincy and asks Taylor to come back we might get Taylor on the plane.

He'll still have to deal with that nitwit hesson though...
Yeah, I've been a bit guilty of bundling in McCullum and Hesson together as the villains, when really what's most infuriating about this is the shambolic way that it's been handled. I don't really believe that McCullum has been working to undermine Taylor over the past year, and if Taylor really has lost the confidence of a large portion of the team, then that's a cause for legitimate concern. But all this cloak and dagger bull**** is infuriating, especially since it's taking place in the middle of our season, the one time of the year when we actually have a few games scheduled and the general public actually pays attention to cricket.

Cloakey

Cricket Spectator
McCullum becoming a real inspiration and perfect role model for all those kids at school level who demand to bat or bowl first and then take their bat and ball and leave when they get out.
And scribbling all over his arm. Would he cover it up at a job interview? I would. And I would cover it up when/if I represented NZ.

BeeGee

International Captain
I hold no bad feelings towards McCullum tbh. I believe he has nothing to do with it (the decision).
I would bet my left nut and right buttock that McCullum is involved to some degree in all this. The bloke has serious form in this area.

Who was at the center of the Moles ousting?.... McCullum.
Who was in the middle of the controversy in Kolkata and lost the captaincy over it?... McCullum.
Who all but admitted he deliberately failed with the bat in the first Florida T20 series because he was ****ed off with what was going on with the team?... McCullum.
Remember when McCullum wanted to give up the gloves and the Team hierarchy insisted he continue as keeper?... Then he developed a back injury.... Now he doesn't keep anymore.

The prick's like a spoiled brat who by hook or by crook has to always get his way.

Gee, I wonder if there's a player in the NZ team who always wanted to be captain and was ****ed off when he didn't get it? And is always involved in backstabbing activities? And always gets his way?

I wonder who is going to replace Taylor as captain?

Same guy? Really? Must be a coincidence...

Last edited: