• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ross Taylor likely to be shafted from the captaincy?

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I don't want anyone to save face over this. I want heads to roll.
I hate to say it, but the only head that will roll is Ross'. NZC aren't going to face the ignominy of being forced to change coach again, so the only option they have left is to follow through with the captaincy change. They're just playing for time and thinking of how best to present this to the public.

Last edited:

Mike5181

International Captain
Yeah, he did, and that's the way you do these things.

You want him gone as captain so you take away T20 and ODI (you can legitimately point to team performance as the reason) and ask him to reconsider his position as Test captain, hoping he will resign, in which case you can announce it was his decision to step down as Test captain.
If he doesn't step down, in a season or two, you can point out how well the T20 and ODI teams are going under their new captain, and for continuity sake, you can then give the replacement the Test captaincy also.

It's the classic corporate move, if you don't have the balls or guts to fire someone outright, then take away their power until they resign. If they don't resign, continue to undermine them until you can fire them and no one will care because they don't have any power or influence anymore anyway.

I know why they're doing it, I just want to hear them justify it.
To be fair, if results improved in T20s/ODIs with McCullum as captain, that would be a legitimate reason to give him the test captaincy.

Flem274*

123/5
I hate to say it, but the only head that will roll is Ross'. NZC aren't go face the ignominy of being forced to change coach again, so the only option they have left is to follow through with the captaincy change. They're just playing for time and thinking of how best to present this to the public.
B0ndy
Hunty
Sidd0nzy

Buchanan could even man up.

I want Littlejohn out. Pie chart man can't even read his own damn charts properly if he supports this.

To be fair, if results improved in T20s/ODIs with McCullum as captain, that would be a legitimate reason to give him the test captaincy.
:laugh:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
B0ndy
Hunty
Sidd0nzy

Buchanan could even man up.

I want Littlejohn out. Pie chart man can't even read his own damn charts properly if he supports this.

:laugh:
I'm not saying that there aren't other (better) men for the job. I'm saying that the NZC won't consider them. We've had 5 coach changes in the last 5 years, the most recent of which was less than 6 months ago. The NZC simply won't be prepared to consider another.

Flem274*

123/5
I'm not saying that there aren't other (better) men for the job. I'm saying that the NZC won't consider them. We've had 5 coach changes in the last 5 years, the most recent of which was less than 6 months ago. The NZC simply won't be prepared to consider another.
NZC will have fllaming turds on their doorstep if this goes through.

btw it turns out you can reply to that newsletter they send out. I had a fleeting temptation to reply to their ticket advertisement by saying I'm only paying to see the Black Caps, not McCullum's Chaps. Decided not to because it will only be seen by some random PR chap and I do enough Internet Hardman Act on here as it is.

99*

International Debutant
If the options are keeping Hesson or keeping Taylor there is only one option surely. Even NZC isn't that stupid*.

* - Famous last words.

Last edited:

BeeGee

International Captain
the ineptitude starts at the very top. So who will be the person to clean house?
The NZ cricket fans and general public.

Ross Taylor quits NZC. The NZ team goes from being poor to being a joke. Attendance levels at cricket games plummet. Ratings go down. The value of television rights drop. NZC revenue falls. Top Test teams don't want to play NZ anymore.

Riots, gnashing of teeth, military coups, etc. The usual thing.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
NZC will have fllaming turds on their doorstep if this goes through.

btw it turns out you can reply to that newsletter they send out. I had a fleeting temptation to reply to their ticket advertisement by saying I'm only paying to see the Black Caps, not McCullum's Chaps. Decided not to because it will only be seen by some random PR chap and I do enough Internet Hardman Act on here as it is.
If your a member of the fanzone you can send a message to a player.

There is an option to talk to the whole team.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
If the options are keeping Hesson or keeping Taylor there is only one option surely. Even NZC isn't that stupid*.

* - Famous last words.
Taylor has already come out and said that he hasn't sent the NZC any kind of ultimatum about leaving the side if he is stood down as captain. So, as of yet, it doesn't appear as if this is a choice between Hesson/McCullum and Taylor.

Flem274*

123/5
The NZ cricket fans and general public.

Ross Taylor quits NZC. The NZ team goes from being poor to being a joke. Attendance levels at cricket games plummet. Ratings go down. The value of television rights drop. NZC revenue falls. Top Test teams don't want to play NZ anymore.

Riots, gnashing of teeth, military coups, etc. The usual thing.
Much of the cricket media interest in this country stems from the constant soap opera that is NZC, or as I think of them, the gift that keeps on giving.

The public is already beginning to turn off. Speedway, rowing etc are getting popular, and rugby + football are encroaching on the summer. I've ridden a ****ing horse in front of larger crowds than you get at FC matches and I'm a rank amatuer, and yes, I am serious here.

I realise I'm pretty good at getting a bee in by bonnet, and I usually dismiss "death of the game" media articles because the fact is New Zealanders do love good i.e. overseas, cricket. We love it. It is our national summer sport and deservedly so. However, this debacle has shaken my support and if it's shaken the support of a diehard like me then casual fans and perhaps more world weary fans will be even more likely to turn off the TV.

What Hesson, McCullum and NZC are doing just isn't cricket.

I was going to make that post short as well. Dammit.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
If your a member of the fanzone you can send a message to a player.

There is an option to talk to the whole team.
Don't tell me that ffs.

Though I must admit pulling a juvenile spam prank on McCullum's inbox is tempting. He must already have 1000 variations of "you're a ****" already sitting there.

BeeGee

International Captain
If the options are keeping Hesson or keeping Taylor there is only one option surely.
True.

Even NZC isn't that stupid
False. :laugh:

Incompetent people always have an amazing capacity to try to cover there own asses at the expense of all else. The world could be coming to an end and instead of trying to save it they will work tirelessly, day and night, to cover up the fact that it was their ****-up that caused the disaster in the first place.

Flem274*

123/5
Is there actually a channel the public can use to make a vote of no confidence in NZC?

I mean ****, while I don't think McCullum should be our national skipper, it's not even really that which is the biggest **** up here.

-The coach actively worked against the national captain with at least one other senior player
-The coach and this senior player went full speed ahead with their coup regardless of results, suggesting this has been in the works for a long time
-Someone within NZC has leaked all of this, hanging the national skipper, the face of the game in this country, out to dry and publicly humiliated him
-Other players around the issue are calling out their employer publicly
-Members of NZC didn't even wait until their CEO was in the country before proceeding with aiding this coup
-They have previous history, a long and proud history in fact, of complete and utter incompetence

edit: is NZC independently or partially taxpayer funded? I know minor sports get SPARC funding but not sure about majors. Because if my tax goes to this lot I want mass clearout.

Sachin brings out the paddle again. Plays that shot pretty well.
:lol:

Last edited: