• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ross Taylor likely to be shafted from the captaincy?

cnerd123

likes this
Either stay on as captain, go to South Africa, and prove everyone wrong...or just retire and head to England or somewhere to play domestic cricket + earn money in T20 Leagues.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Radio Sport ringing off the hook.

Interesting calls:

1) McCullum had to suck it up after he lost the captaincy bid so now Taylor should have to if the tables are turned according to one caller
2) Racism is to blame according to another
3) One guy phoned in who admitted he didn't follow cricket but the story had caught his imagination so wanted to give his 2 cents.

Mike5181

International Captain

Interesting calls:

1) McCullum had to suck it up after he lost the captaincy bid so now Taylor should have to if the tables are turned according to one caller
3) One guy phoned in who admitted he didn't follow cricket but the story had caught his imagination so wanted to give his 2 cents.
The majority of the people that call up Radio Sport are an embarrassment and that's only confirmed by those three calls.

BeeGee

International Captain

Interesting calls:

The majority of the people that call up Radio Sport are an embarrassment and that's only confirmed by those three calls.
I'd rather beat myself to death with a rancid herring than listen to talkback callers.

They all fall into one of two categories:
Loonies desperate to let the world hear about their latest crackpot theory, or
Sad people with no friends who just want someone to talk to.

Howsie

International Captain
Jesse Ryder - Angers me watching @RossLTaylor getting dumped on. Show him some ****ing support NZC

Obvs a big fan of New Zealand cricket....

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Jesse Ryder - Angers me watching @RossLTaylor getting dumped on. Show him some ****ing support NZC

Wonder if his comment will be held against him selection wise if Taylor is dumped.

Jesse and Ross go back quite a ways don't they in age group cricket.

Mike5181

International Captain
Would love to hear the NZC logic (oxymoron) behind stripping Taylor of the T20 and ODI captaincy, but retaining him as Test captain. He's not a good enough captain for T20, but he is good enough for Tests?

I'll lose a lot of respect for Taylor if he just rolls over and takes this.
I'm sure I heard that White asked him to reconsider his role as test captain, might be wrong though.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Would love to hear the NZC logic (oxymoron) behind stripping Taylor of the T20 and ODI captaincy, but retaining him as Test captain. He's not a good enough captain for T20, but he is good enough for Tests?

I'll lose a lot of respect for Taylor if he just rolls over and takes this.
If a compromise saves face for everyone like giving Baz the T20 captaincy then I am happy with that outcome. Tests is where the prestige of being captain really comes into it.

However as I have posted Hesson can't stay if there is any compromise that leaves Taylor in any power position - he has outwardly gone after Ross and I don't see them having a successful relationship. Mike if he is am average human being will be keen to prove he was right all along by eventually bringing Ross down. He won't give up.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
McCullum becoming a real inspiration and perfect role model for all those kids at school level who demand to bat or bowl first and then take their bat and ball and leave when they get out.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing

Was waiting for him to weigh in. He is New Zealand Cricket, after all.

BeeGee

International Captain
I'm sure I heard that White asked him to reconsider his role as test captain, might be wrong though.
Yeah, he did, and that's the way you do these things.

You want him gone as captain so you take away T20 and ODI (you can legitimately point to team performance as the reason) and ask him to reconsider his position as Test captain, hoping he will resign, in which case you can announce it was his decision to step down as Test captain.
If he doesn't step down, in a season or two, you can point out how well the T20 and ODI teams are going under their new captain, and for continuity sake, you can then give the replacement the Test captaincy also.

It's the classic corporate move, if you don't have the balls or guts to fire someone outright, then take away their power until they resign. If they don't resign, continue to undermine them until you can fire them and no one will care because they don't have any power or influence anymore anyway.

I know why they're doing it, I just want to hear them justify it.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Wonder if his comment will be held against him selection wise if Taylor is dumped.

Jesse and Ross go back quite a ways don't they in age group cricket.
Yep, they were flatmates together in their early CD days, before Jesse had his first meltdown back in the early 00's.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I've studied politics in one course in university. They say that your true friends stand up for you when the chips are down and there is personal political damage to be suffered from saying something. So Jesse is being quality here.