• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ross Taylor likely to be shafted from the captaincy?

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
All this chaos theory stuff about Gup being rested, Doug too to isolate Ross is far fetched. But I don't blame anyone for searching for answers.
Oy, stop ruining my fun - there's nothing like a good conspiracy theory. Yet to be confirmed rumours that aliens carrying rectal probes were also involved :happy:.

Flem274*

123/5
Pretty obvious this coup has been in the works for a long time. They had today as a concrete date for months, and even gave Taylor the chance to jump before being pushed.

Taylor, being the hero he is, ruined their fun by scoring 200+ runs and winning the game right before coup day. They thought on the back of our worst losing streak ever it would be an easy coup.

In fact the more I think about it, if Hesson and Mc**** (can we add his name to the filter please?) were so sure we would lose both tests before they even began, that would have leaked into their attitude and imo it's almost as bad as match fixing.

Can't wait for Ross's press conference sometime this week. Fingers crossed he goes down swinging.

Last edited:

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Try these links:
Code:
http://podcast.mediaworks.co.nz/RadioLive/LiveSPORT/December12/051212_MGreatbatch1.mp3
http://podcast.mediaworks.co.nz/RadioLive/LiveSPORT/December12/051212_MGreatbatch2.mp3
Pretty bloody terrible interview from Greatbatch that. Some good comments from Ian Smith though.

Mike5181

International Captain
Pretty obvious this coup has been in the works for a long time. They had today as a concrete date for months, and even gave Taylor the chance to jump before being pushed.

Taylor, being the hero he is, ruined their fun by scoring 200+ runs and winning the game right before coup day. They thought on the back of our worst losing streak ever it would be an easy coup.

In fact the more I think about it, if Hesson and Mc**** (can we add his name to the filter please?) were so sure we would lose both tests before they even began, that would have leaked into their attitude and imo it's almost as bad as match fixing.

Can't wait for Ross's press conference sometime this week. Fingers crossed he goes down swinging.
They were right to look into Taylor's performance as captain, to see if he was lacking in the leadership department, and to see if that was one of the things contributing to those defeats. We've just been pushed down to ninth behind Bangladesh in the ODI rankings, so they wouldn't be doing their job if they didn't look into it. What they did wrong was put McCullum forward, thinking he was an adequate replacement after two years of sub-par performances on the field. He's shown time and time again on the field he lacks the maturity to take an appropriate approach to his primary skill, batting. So it's questionable whether he would be able to not only improve in that area, so as to be seen leading from the front, or how he'd be in a credible enough position to judge/motivate others to get acceptable levels of performances out of their primary skills when he isn't himself.

That along with the timing of the decision have been the main areas of concern here. There was wide spread optimism about New Zealand cricket, not only because of the win in Sri Lanka, but the manner in which we won, and who contributed to that win. Williamson, Taylor, Boult, Southee etc are all young, and showed under Taylor's captaincy they could win games. They should have known this decision would back-fire after that, and they didn't show the competency or awareness to hold off on the decision.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Bloody hell. How did he get the job then?
The Dom Post is an anti boys club and they obviously felt having an Ex NZ player would be a coup. And Fairfax being borderline tabloid, he's a smart fit.

Think Flem has it bang on about the Otago club believing itd be an easy coup, but Ross' form and Colombo means they're going to look the bad ones.

banquetbear

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
...and Ross Taylor, unlike NZ Cricket, has come out with something:

https://twitter.com/RossLTaylor

A lot of speculation out there. I have heard from the CEO once. I haven't made any decisions. At no time have I given NZC any ultimatums about Hesson or Me or South Africa.
So it appears that Taylor knows as much as we do about what is going on.

jcas0167

International Debutant
What's the best way out of this? Maybe David White should just come out and say as previously announced, NZC agreed to review things after the first test. Taylor is continuing as captain. End of story. Looking forward to building on the 2nd test result in SA.

ohnoitsyou

International Regular
What's the best way out of this? Maybe David White should just come out and say as previously announced, NZC agreed to review things after the first test. Taylor is continuing as captain. End of story. Looking forward to building on the 2nd test result in SA.
but that would make the media look bad for over hyping the situation :-O
While i would love that to happen, there has been far to much talk for this to be forgotten. Even if Taylor continued as captain he would be unsettled by the lack of stability.

Imo McCullum needs to be dealt with for undermining Taylors position or something along the lines (if it turns out he has been causing a problem)

Binkley

U19 Captain
I just saw White on the news. He refused to express any support for Taylor, which is a bad sign. Or just the act of a tactless and incompetent administrator. It's NZ Cricket so it's hard to tell.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
...and Ross Taylor, unlike NZ Cricket, has come out with something:

https://twitter.com/RossLTaylor

So it appears that Taylor knows as much as we do about what is going on.
That's a great sign, I was gutted enough at the prospect of him losing the captaincy, let alone him not touring at all. So this squashes the radiosport rumour about Taylor saying he wouldn't tour if he's dropped as skipper.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
History tells you when a guy refuses to answer a straight question like that that he is hiding something. Taylor is sacked and this is a shambles. Hope he remains a player as he is great to watch but couldn't blame him if he walked. New Zealand will regret this if they have chased him away from the team.