• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ross Taylor likely to be shafted from the captaincy?

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
According to the below, it's likely to be confirmed later today.......

Likely Taylor won't be captain during SA tour
Nick Walker, Newstalk ZB December 3, 2012, 2:37 pm

It appears likely Ross Taylor won't be captain of the Black Caps for the tour of South Africa later this month.

Months of speculation around his job at the helm appears to have told, with Taylor to be stripped of the role when the touring squad is named in the coming days.

Cricket commentator Bryan Waddle says it looks like Taylor's been shafted.

Waddle says the job he's been doing is as good as could be expected, and getting rid of him now is counterproductive.
Brendon McCullum becomes the obvious candidate to take over the captaincy.

Likely Taylor won't be captain during SA tour - Yahoo! New Zealand Sport

Mike5181

International Captain
They've been on this for a while, so it's not surprising. It does seem strange timing-wise though. We've just convincingly won a test match in Sri Lanka, and Taylor contributed to that quite a lot.

Howsie

International Captain
Ross Taylor should tell them to go and stuff it right where the sun don't shine, what an unbelievable ****ing farce. McCullum has to be one of the biggest parasites going around, as well as his cronies. If what they're saying is true, that Taylor felt he was being undermined by certain senior players then they should never play for New Zealand again. Hell afaic it's no different to fixing.

Arghh.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Oh FFS.

NZC and hangers on are the kings at shooting themselves in the foot.

My new found optimism, gone. It was a pleasant 2 or 3 days though.....

Mike5181

International Captain
As one of the reasons for the captaincy change, I bet they bring up the argument that they don't want the captaincy to drag his performances with the bat down, despite the fact he comfortably averages more as a captain. A thousand runs with an average of fifty is not too shabby.

Viscount Tom

International Debutant
Wait the guy who drew a Test series in Sri Lanka is getting shafted for the lunatic that is McCullum even after leading the side quite well on a tricky tour and making important runs, what are you Australian selectors?

Blain

U19 Captain
If true, what a way to ruin a team who is just starting to re-build and look relatively positive.

Absolute muppets imo, the NZC board know nothing about cricket and this decision would show that. It would be them believing in media pressure that they aren't performing due to the captain. Everyone is responsible for thier own ****ing performances.

SilentOne

U19 12th Man
McCullum is a cancer on this cricket side, he's been working behind the scenes to shaft Rosco ever since his man Hesson became coach.

**** McCullum and **** NZ cricket.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
McCullum is a cancer on this cricket side, he's been working behind the scenes to shaft Rosco ever since his man Hesson became coach.

**** McCullum and **** NZ cricket.
Yup he and Hesson have been bum-chums for some time now. If this is confirmed, look for Ian Smith to absolutely lose his rag on his live sports radio breakfast show tomorrow. I know he's a massive Ross Taylor fan.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Hmmm, it'll be interesting to see whether this is just for the limited overs captaincy (which I couldn't give a toss about) or the test captaincy.

If it is the test captaincy as well, then...meh. On the one hand, I think Taylor is an average test match captain. On the other, it appears to have brought the best out of his batting, and he's only had one year in the job (during which period we've nicked as many test victories as we managed under Vettori's 4 year tenure).

And yeah, the constant chopping and changing of both coaches and captains is not good for team stability, especially when they appear to be finally starting to find their feet. I wonder who's driving this. Obviously McCunliffe has been keen for a coup for some time now, and Hesson is supposed to be his biggest cheerleader. But I wonder whether the NZC Board has also had a signficant say in this? They've been getting hammered in the media over the last couple of weeks, and maybe they were desperate to make a change, just so that they could be seen to be doing something.

Flem274*

123/5
Taylor should refuse to tour South Africa if true. Dead serious. Lets see how glory boy McCullum goes without the best batsman since he's so ****ing crash hot.

McCullum is the most overrated player in the history of New Zealand cricket. Some chump on the radio the other day described him as having a mental edge Taylor lacks. Unless he refers to a well practised top edge to the outfield catcher, I'm at a loss to decipher what he was talking about. McCullum combines the batting stupidity of McMillan with the run production of Martin Guptill. He's deadset the second most vulnerable batsman performance wise in the side. I hope Steyn kills him.

I honestly cbf supporting this side over Central Districts anymore if this is true. We have the bowlers and one of the few test standard batsmen in the country. Give us test status!:ph34r:

Seriously, you couldn't make this incompetence up. I have a lot of time for Hesson but if he is involved he can shove it up his arse. If I were David White I'd send McCullum out to sea and every player who supported his cause would be dropped. IDGAF if it was one of our favourite quicks either, we have plenty of them. If it's a batsman, well unless they're Taylor or Williamson then we have ten other batsmen as good so once again, who cares.

Not much motivates me to trawl through cricinfo statswizard thing but deadset I'm about to dig every single under pressure innings Taylor has played then compare that to McCullum's recent performance.

Nothing less than 2-0 victory over South Africa will make me support McCullum, and that won't be happening. Why does Taylor even bother? He should come win the Plunket Shield with CD.

Last edited:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I reckon Taylor is way too much of a team man to ever do something like walk out of the side over this. However, if the tables were turned and McCullum was dropped from the captaincy in similar circumstances, I could totally see him walking out of the test side. Says all you need to know imo.