• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Quality of upcoming Bangladeshi cricketers

Xuhaib

International Coach
Apart from the pace man most of their new cricketers that have had debuts over the last 2 years seen to be test standard atleast for sub cont conditions. This shows work is being done at the grassroots level and kudos to everyone involved now all they need is one breakthrough test series win against a full strength top 8 side to get their confidence up.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Lets start with a solitary test win first before talking about series.

Reckon Anamul is the goods.

Chook Herron

School Boy/Girl Captain
I've never really taken a great deal of interest in Bangladesh cricket, but I've noticed a lot of up and coming players have been getting a go at the top level lately. Before you had guys like Ashraful and Kayes constantly getting chances and constantly failing. Nasir Hossain has been one player in particular I've taken notice of. I'd like to see what he could do if he was given the chance to bat up the order a bit. He seems to get stranded with the tail a fair bit in both tests and ODIs.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Bangladesh, with their armada of bits n' pieces, spin bowling all-rounders, are becoming masters of building defendable totals and then strangling the opposition with defensive bowling. They're now a serious ODI team in their home conditions. However, the recent test series against a fairly brittle windies batting lineup has shown definitively that they are still a very long way away from developing a bowling attack that can 20 wickets.

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
not going to be too optimistic. We have so many gaps to plug but things are looking somewhat better than it used to be. Before we used to pick one solitary win against one top nation and back into shell again and basically the repeating but now in ODIs, atleast getting into the zone of habitual winning and becoming a force to reckon with esp at home. Coming back to young and upcoming players, I have lots of high hopes for Anamul, Mominul and Taskin. Lot of emphasis now given to Academic/under 19 levels and with the back of Richard McInnes there things are certainly looking brighter. The intensity at FC level has also increased somewhat and now players know that they can't only get in the team with sheer talent only, need performance as well. Also the fact that there are some serious competition with spots in the team now helps. I would like to see home performance is getting transferred into away performance too and more drawn test matches atleast. Now we need a stock of genuine fast bowlers which is lacking atm. Hope guys in the pipeline as Taskin, Haider, Kamrul won't disappoint us in near future.

Challis

U19 12th Man
The main reason for this is that the new generation of players are better equipped to deal with International cricket than the previous generation. As BD are still a developing Test nation (12 years), every 3-5 years there is a new batch of young players (usually promoted straight from the U19s) debuting in their teens, replacing previous generation players. However what we are now seeing is that more of the previous gen of players are being kept and the newer players are debuting at an older age than previous debutants:

Gen 1: Pre Test players that played ODIs and made their Test debuts once BD became a Test nation e.g. Habibul Bashar, Khaled Mashud, Mohamed Raffique, Javed Omar

Gen 2: Ashraful, Mortaza, Alok Kapali, Aftab Ahmed,

Gen 3: Mushfiqur, Shakib, Tamim, Siddique, Raquibul Hasan

Gen 4: Anamul, Mominul, Abul Hasan

In 4 years time, from the team that has been playing the past few years, I can only see Shakib, Tamim and Mushfiqur (might have to stop keeping and play as batsman only) being definite first teamers.
I'm confident that Nafees, Kayes, Siddique, Nazimuddin etc won't be anywhere near the National Squad, and even players such as Mashrafe Mortaza, Mahmadullah Riyad, Abdur Razzak, and Naeem Islam struggling to stay in the team.
I expect the bulk of the National Team (for all 3 formats) to be made up of; Shakib, Tamim, Mushfiqur, Nasir, Elias Sunny, Sohag Gazi, Rubel Hossain, Anamul, Mominul, Abul Hasan, Sabbir Rahman, Alauddin Babu, Asif Ahmed, Soumya Sarker and Taskin Ahmed.
I expect the likes of Nurul Hasan, Noor Hossain, Abu Jayed, Abu Haider, Liton Das, Al Amin Jr and Mosaddek Hossain to be pushing for a place in the National Squad.

cnerd123

likes this
Why is Razzak struggling to retain a spot? He's an awesome ODI spinner. Such a good record, probably has the best bowling record after Shakib in ODIs against test-playing nations.

Riyad is wayyy too under-utilised as a batsman and as a bowler. Was one of our best bats against the Windies recently. While I can see him being dropped, I don't think he deserves it.

Mortaza's already out of Tests. Is still BD's best quick by far. Rubel's catching up, but until Mortaza hits a massive form slump or gets another bad injury, he's in the side to stay.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Why is Razzak struggling to retain a spot? He's an awesome ODI spinner.
I think you just answered your own question. He's an awesome ODI spinner but pretty average in the longer format; doesn't have the patience or flight to beat batsmen with the red ball.

Riyad is wayyy too under-utilised as a batsman and as a bowler. Was one of our best bats against the Windies recently. While I can see him being dropped, I don't think he deserves it.

Mortaza's already out of Tests. Is still BD's best quick by far. Rubel's catching up, but until Mortaza hits a massive form slump or gets another bad injury, he's in the side to stay.
I agree that Mahmudullah is underutilised. Seriously good all rounder for Bangladesh to have. Hopefully he's in the team for years to come. I still don't rate Rubel, but I guess the cupboard is pretty bare when it comes to pacers. I honestly can't think of a solution there - Syed Rasel and try to develop the U/19s and 20-year-olds somehow is all I can come up with.

Challis

U19 12th Man
Why is Razzak struggling to retain a spot? He's an awesome ODI spinner. Such a good record, probably has the best bowling record after Shakib in ODIs against test-playing nations.

I'm talking about in 4 years time and all three formats. A lot can happen in 4 years particularly when concerning BD cricket.

Last edited:

cnerd123

likes this
Yea, Razzak's already 30 years old. Can't see him going past the next ODI WC. Maybe not even till then.

But he's an excellent ODI bowler. One of BD's best ever really. Doubt he'll be dropped anytime soon.

Regarding the older generation...I'm curious to know how you guys rated players like Omar and Baisya? Hannan Sarkar, Mohd. Sharif, Aminul Islam, Mshud (the keeper), and a whole host of those older names come to mind...were any of them really any good? Is it safe to say that the current BD side probably hold some of BD's all time great players (Shakib, Tamim, Mushfiqur, Mortaza are for sure, Razzak is in contention, and guys like Sunny, Nasir, Rubel, Anamul could go on to join them).

Challis

U19 12th Man
Regarding the older players well only Mohammed Rafique was International class, and maybe Habibul Bashar at a push, also I think Khaled Mashud was a decent keeper but his batting wasn't consistent enough, apart from them that's it. So the answer is no they weren't very good but they showed a lot of heart and built the foundations for the newer generation.
If Shakib and Tamim retired now they would go down as BD's all time best players, with the other players you mentioned a little further behind. Anamul could join them at the top though, I have high hopes for him.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Bashar was definitely a Test standard batsman for a little while, even if not for his whole career. He averaged 40+ over a three year period in the middle of his career I believe and during that period he would've made a few other sides pretty comfortably IMO. Saleh bordered on it for a fleeting moment too; he just had head rushes right before milestones constantly and then eventually lost it altogether. Probably just short of Test class even at his best in reality but he wasn't too far off.

cnerd123

likes this
Baisya is only 29 years old atm, and still playing cricket in BD. Took a 6 wicket haul in November, got Raqibul Hasan for a duck.

I don't get to watch any BD domestic cricket footage, I wonder how he is as a bowler now, and compared to the likes or Rubel, Abul Hasan, Nazmul, Shahadat, Robiul, Shaiful Islam and even Syed Rasel? Averages 32.86 with a ball, becomes 26.3 when you remove his Test stats.

Interestingly enough, Rajin Saleh scored 132 in that same game. Also 29 years old now. Hasn't done much with the bat since that knock though. Averaging 39.18 with the bat domestically (Tests removed).

Challis

U19 12th Man
Yeah I'm probably being a bit harsh on Bashar, like you say he was quality in that middle period. He was given the nickname "Mr Fifty" by the BD press. 24 fifties and only 3 hundreds (and they were small hundreds), not too hard to see his shortcomings; just couldn't convert enough of those starts.

Rajin Saleh was a bit unlucky, he went into some horrendous form (4 ducks in his last 6 innings) around the time Jamie Siddons became Head Coach. I think Siddons just made his mind up and didn't fancy him. Siddons preferred to start afresh with the new generation of up and coming youngsters
He was averaging 30 before that slump, which at that time was well above average for a BD batsman. He was a gritty batsmen who got starts but like Bashar couldn't convert them, no hundreds and only 7 fifties in 46 innings tells the story.

M0rphin3

International Debutant
I'm really hopeful of Anamul (especially him) and Mominul making it big. Players like Asif Ahmed shouldn't do too shabby either. I don't see any good fast bowlers coming up tho, a lot of SLAs dominating FC cricket, like Enamul Haque - wonder what's up with that?

Flem274*

123/5
They need a test standard seamer or two to be truly competitive. Every other department looks better than it used to. Shakib and Marmadoooola provide a good strength in that they're test standard bowlers and batsmen, so it becomes easier to bat deep and/or bowl deep.

Gowza

U19 12th Man
they're starting to build up strength. they have 3 quality spinners in shakib, gazi and elias sunny (and back-ups of razzak, enamul, saqlain sajib). batting wise they're also getting a bit more strength, nasir has been a good find and anamul has come in and performed straight away with mominul looking good so add shakib, tamim, mushy, riyad, naeem and shuvagata as a back-up batsman they're looking better in the batting to.

the pace is the main issue. is ODIs they're ok with mash, rubel and nazmul but in tests mash is basically to injury prone, nazmul isn't being given any chances and rubel is just starting to find his way. they have some promising pacers in shafiul, abul, al amin, abu jayed, sajidul, kazi kamrul, kamrul rabbi, alauddin, dolar and taskin but the problem is the pacers seem to always show promise but never come good. they probably need to have a look at they're development process of the pacers because for some reason almost none of them become even ODI standard pacers.

i reckon rubel will come good in tests, he did alright in the test series before these ODIs but they need at least one more pacer to come good, the big hope atm is taskin ahmed.

Last edited:

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Apart from the pace man most of their new cricketers that have had debuts over the last 2 years seen to be test standard atleast for sub cont conditions. This shows work is being done at the grassroots level and kudos to everyone involved now all they need is one breakthrough test series win against a full strength top 8 side to get their confidence up.

Agree with you.. now those who focus on results to form their opinions will probably not see this but if you just look at the difference in quality in the players that have made their debut in the last 2-3 years for Bangladesh as compared to any time in their test history before, the difference is for all to see.

Nasir, Mahmudullah and Gazi are the ones I am referring to.

Rahim is a very good batsman who needs to bat up the order.
Anamul - Not too sure despite that century.. but I hope for Bangladesh's sake this works because they need to permanently shut the door on Kayes, Siddiqui and Nafees and need a solid player with Tamim.

The only problem though is their strategy and approach although its hard to criticize that given their test record. They have very little confidence in their batting line up and as a result produce roads at home...where its extremely difficult to take 20 wickets.. When the pitch does offer something, their bowlers have the ability to do this
1st Test: Bangladesh v West Indies at Dhaka, Nov 13-17, 2012 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

But then their batsmen get rolled over too...

The lack of a decent seamer will haunt them for some time though.

Last edited:

M0rphin3

International Debutant
Seriously, why on earth would you prepare flat tracks when you have loads of gun spinners up your arsenal? They won't draw much anyways, so should prepare turning tracks - Shakib & Gazi would trouble any side in such wickets, and they have far better odds on winning such tracks too tbh. They're used to playing in such wickets.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Their batting has collapsed more often than not..they were probably worried about giving too much help to Narine before the series...honestly I don't blame them for being over cautious with their batting..