• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England Academy - NZ A - Australia A - India A - And everyone else's second tiers...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Neil Pickup said:
Name your academy and U19 squads then..
U19s I really haven't watched enough of the players, nor researched their standing amongst those who have, to comment. I'll bow to your superior knowledge.
As for Academy, the best I can do is:
Bilal Shafayat, Ian Bell (yes, him again), Kabir Ali, Kadeer Ali, Sajjid Mahmood, Shaftab Khalid, Scott Newman, Tim Murtagh (not actually entirely sure of his age), Edmund Joyce (how the hell he's not been selected I really haven't a clue), Rikki Clarke (would prefer him to go there than waste his time trekking around Sri Lanka and West Indies), Tim Ambrose (if he's England-qualified, which I'm not entirely certain he is), Kevin Pietersen (his third term, but I really can't think of anyone else).
That really is all I can think of.

anzac

International Debutant
Tim said:
Peter Ingram an NZ 'A' candidate? no way!
Jamie How is scoring more runs than Ingram as an opener for the same team C.D

ok so probably not - the list was 35 names & 7 other opening prospects ahead of him........as I said earlier I haven't had a lot to go on so far as local knowledge goes..........

as an aside I see McIntosh is playing at no3 this season for Auckland - swapped roles with Vincent from last season. Does this mean he is still rated as a potential opener or more as a top order allrounder & can bat 1 - 3?????

:)

anzac

International Debutant
Richard said:
How can you possibly blame Hadlee for that? How?
Franklin bowled total garbage and could not possibly compain about his non-selection.

yet again I think Franklin has been unfairly hung drawn & quatered for failing in the wrong game..............

if you look at his Test & F/C stats they are quite good, yet his Limited Overs stats are both ordinary.

anzac

International Debutant
southern man said:
When was the last time Adams batted higher than 8 other than to go out and slog, Wilson is a far superior batsman to Adams.
Wilson can actually play proper strokes.
Canning is a better batsman but not a better bowler.
Yovich far far to incostant.
Franklin what happened to him the next big thing aye? well done hadlee.

Adams has ODI credibility with both bat & ball - Wilson is only in his 2nd season back playing F/C cricket.
Canning was top wicket taker last season from memory.
Yovich bats at no7 & has high scores of 99 & 70 in F/C & Limited Overs.
Franklin bats at no5 for Weillington.

I am a fan of Wilson from when he was a youngster. If he continues with his recent form he should be pushing for a place in the squad to tour England. Last season I think the most 5 wicket bags taken was 2 - & I think some of the bowlers were Canning, Yovich & Walmsley. Already this season Wilson has done this after only 2 matches so he is on track so far as I am concerned!

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
The NZ Selectors told Auckland that they wanted Vincent & Richardson opening for Auckland.

I can see that changing very quickly however if Vincent starts to fail again.

As for Peter Fulton, well he scored another brilliant century today against Wellington...thats now 2 centuries in 2 matches for him.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
anzac said:
yet again I think Franklin has been unfairly hung drawn & quatered for failing in the wrong game..............

if you look at his Test & F/C stats they are quite good, yet his Limited Overs stats are both ordinary.

Fair enough, I hadn't looked. Just unfairly judged him on that VB Series.

anzac

International Debutant
Tim said:
The NZ Selectors told Auckland that they wanted Vincent & Richardson opening for Auckland.

I can see that changing very quickly however if Vincent starts to fail again.

As for Peter Fulton, well he scored another brilliant century today against Wellington...thats now 2 centuries in 2 matches for him.

yet another batsman seriously pushing for higher honours......

jeez I really hope the NZCC can get this 'A' Team series thing going and expand it to both 4 & 1 day games, as well as being 1 Home & 1 Away series per season.

anzac

International Debutant
Richard said:
Fair enough, I hadn't looked. Just unfairly judged him on that VB Series.

you're not alone on that score - I think the selectors have forgotten they originally had designs on him for the longer game............

;)

THE MINGSTER

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
anzac said:
yet another batsman seriously pushing for higher honours......

jeez I really hope the NZCC can get this 'A' Team series thing going and expand it to both 4 & 1 day games, as well as being 1 Home & 1 Away series per season.

Jeez anzac. It's too early in the season anyway. Who would he replace? No one. When Astle comes back the positions will be solid.

There are others who have performed more consistently than him.

THE MINGSTER

anzac said:
From what I can see NZ has a number of options across the board, although the bowling appears a little thin, particularly for anything other than fast/med:
Jones, Bell, Papps, McIntosh, J Marshall, Horsley, Cumming, Ingram = Openers;
H Marshall, Fulton, Ryder, N Parlane, Orchard, Nichol, Taylor, Broom = mid order;
Franklin, Adams, Canning, M Walker, Yovich, Sheed, Woodcock, Gillespie, B Walker = lower order;
Patel, Wilson, Mills, Mason, G & H Shaw, J McMillan, M Hart, B Martin, Butler = Tail.

Ummm.....J Marshall, Horsley, Ingram haven't performed. Perhaps you should actually see some scorecards before you name them.

Orchard is an allrounder. Broom has a big future but hasn't been around enough.

Sheed as a lower order? He is a batsman and doesn't bowl. He is a middle order.

Gillespie is no good. All these medium pace bowlers like Walker and Canning have great stats but they are really not much of a threat in Tests. Too slow. Gareth Shaw won't even make it into the Auckland team. Enough said. Hayden Shaw is focusing in Hockey. McMillan is not there yet. M Hart is not a tailender, he bats in the top order and rarely bowls these days. Jeez...alll those names you listed are rubbish.

Current fringe include - Jones, Cumming, Adams (Test), Canning, M Walker, Mills, Mason, Butler; Retreads include - Bell, H Marshall, Franklin, B Walker, Wilson, M Hart; with the rest being prospects of various age & experience.
M Hart will never play another game for NZ. He doesn't bat or bowl well. Wilson will.

Similarly I believe that promising youngsters should be brought into the fold sooner rather than later, so at the very least they know they are being watched / groomed to be given their opportunity in the future. Too often IMO good talent is lost for want of encouragement or recognition.

Likewise if they are not lost then they could change / neglect the part of their game that had the potential to be developed. Eg NZ has a wealth of med / fast seamers - how many have dropped their pace or have changed their actions from banging the ball in to going across the top, or have not taken advantage of natural swing action etc?
Tell me. Who is this country has been suffered, being blooded too late? No one.

Name some examples please, because I think you are talking trash.
[/QUOTE]

THE MINGSTER

anzac said:

Every medium pacer in NZ has outstanding First Class bowling stats but that doesn't mean that are great bowlers.

Walker and Canning will never make it to the Test scene and be threatening bowlers.

THE MINGSTER

anzac said:
he could make it to the lower order ' allrounder' category, but on current form he would be picked as a bowler who can hold his bat, as opposed to an 'allrounder' just yet;

for me the Tail starts around no8 (6 batsmen, 1 'keeper & 4 bowlers, or should I say 5 batsmen, 1 allrounder, 1 'keeper & 4 bowlers), which is where he batted recently from memory & I'm pretty sure that's where he was selected in his ODIs;

players such as Adams, Canning, Walker, Franklin, Yovich have better credentials so far as 'allrounder' status, or they regularly bat higher in the order than no8.
he could make it to the lower order ' allrounder' category, but on current form he would be picked as a bowler who can hold his bat, as opposed to an 'allrounder' just yet
Wilson has been scintillating preseason form with the Otago, hitting scores of 57* off 38 balls, 96* off 82 balls and those are the only innings he has had batting and he has also had 2 five wicket bags.

Wilson is better than Adams at actual batting. Adams is a slog while Wilson can actually hold up an end and change his style according to the match.

Canning is more of a batsman than Wilson, but not Walker or Adams. Franklin bats at 5 for Wellington and that is way too high for him.

Wilson has not done badly this season with the bat, and you said on current form he is not doing well. Yeah right.

He has only been dismissed once this season and has done better than Adams and Franklin for that matter.

anzac

International Debutant
THE MINGSTER said:
Jeez anzac. It's too early in the season anyway. Who would he replace? No one. When Astle comes back the positions will be solid.

There are others who have performed more consistently than him.
I didn't say now & I didn't say for the Test or ODI squads - how about some consistant selections in the 'A' Team for a start?????

Does that count as higher honours re domestic competition?????

anzac

International Debutant
THE MINGSTER said:
Ummm.....J Marshall, Horsley, Ingram haven't performed. Perhaps you should actually see some scorecards before you name them.

Orchard is an allrounder. Broom has a big future but hasn't been around enough.

Sheed as a lower order? He is a batsman and doesn't bowl. He is a middle order.

Gillespie is no good. All these medium pace bowlers like Walker and Canning have great stats but they are really not much of a threat in Tests. Too slow. Gareth Shaw won't even make it into the Auckland team. Enough said. Hayden Shaw is focusing in Hockey. McMillan is not there yet. M Hart is not a tailender, he bats in the top order and rarely bowls these days. Jeez...alll those names you listed are rubbish.

M Hart will never play another game for NZ. He doesn't bat or bowl well. Wilson will.

Tell me. Who is this country has been suffered, being blooded too late? No one.

Name some examples please, because I think you are talking trash.
[/B][/QUOTE]

I was naming a possible squad of players for the 'A' Team format, going for a blend of youth, past experience, current performance & potential, as opposed to a team of perenial 2nd stringers.......primarily to offer an alternative train of thought, not necessarily claiming to be the definative one, but prepared to put my case based upon my limited knowledge......

I have already admitted prior to that post that my current knowledge of the NZ domestic scene is limited in another thread, and as a consequence I welcome anyone's ability to shed some light on the situation or the candidates - without necessarily getting hot under the collar about it!

EG J Marshall has a F/C top score of 235, Horsley 159 so they can put it together and are both in their early 20s - plenty of time to develop further.

So far as being too slow goes what pace did you think Astle bowls at or the likes of Coney???? Another of my criticisms is that the NZ bowling attack is too one paced & I would like to see some greater variations. Furthermore who said anything about these players being considered exclusively for Test cricket & not ODIs?

M Hart batted in the Tail when selected for ODIs & his stats still stand up. I had asked what had happened to him in previous forums but no one said anything.

I'm not saying being blooded too late, but was primarily referring to the likes of potential Acadamy selections. We have several members on the site who play youth grade overseas and have experienced some rather harsh treatment that has turned them off the game somewhat.

I have known several players with genuine natural talent (in other sports) who gave up because they thought no one was interested, only to find out later that the interest was there but from a distance. Some of the responses had been that had they known at the time it could have been enough to keep them going. Some of these players were at State / Provincial level.

So far as NZ cricket is concerned for some time I have questioned the treatment of some of our younger players who have made early introductions to International competition at a young age, and have disappeared almost just as quick and do not appear to have figured in any further development or plans.

The question I have raised is in regards to any ongoing corrective / remedial coaching etc instigated by the NZCC to get them back on track thru loss of form as opposed to injury, or if this has been left up to the State / club / individual? So far no one has been able to indicate anything so for all intents & purposes it would appear that they 'disappear'. Such players include - Wilson, H Marshall, Bell, Franklin, M Hart.

Similarly if there is not some sort of program for the younger players, why would we then presume there to be one for the 'older' players unless they are senior squad members??? Players such as Sinclair & Cairns could fall into this 2nd group - both have proven talent & both have ongoing problems re form / technique (Cairns' problems probably as a result of ongoing injuries but has his technique been put thru the mill to double check - one presumes so because of his status?). We have talked / identified Sinclair's problems with his footwork, but has anything actually been put in place to adress this or is it left up to the palyer to instigate something?

anzac

International Debutant
THE MINGSTER said:
anzac said:
he could make it to the lower order ' allrounder' category, but on current form he would be picked as a bowler who can hold his bat, as opposed to an 'allrounder' just yet;

for me the Tail starts around no8 (6 batsmen, 1 'keeper & 4 bowlers, or should I say 5 batsmen, 1 allrounder, 1 'keeper & 4 bowlers), which is where he batted recently from memory & I'm pretty sure that's where he was selected in his ODIs;

players such as Adams, Canning, Walker, Franklin, Yovich have better credentials so far as 'allrounder' status, or they regularly bat higher in the order than no8.
he could make it to the lower order ' allrounder' category, but on current form he would be picked as a bowler who can hold his bat, as opposed to an 'allrounder' just yet
Wilson has been scintillating preseason form with the Otago, hitting scores of 57* off 38 balls, 96* off 82 balls and those are the only innings he has had batting and he has also had 2 five wicket bags.

Wilson is better than Adams at actual batting. Adams is a slog while Wilson can actually hold up an end and change his style according to the match.

Canning is more of a batsman than Wilson, but not Walker or Adams. Franklin bats at 5 for Wellington and that is way too high for him.

Wilson has not done badly this season with the bat, and you said on current form he is not doing well. Yeah right.

He has only been dismissed once this season and has done better than Adams and Franklin for that matter.

I said nothing of the sort - I said that his bowling is the standout on current form from the 2 matches so far as opposed to his batting (can't argue with 2x5 wicket bags). I also said he could be in contention for selection primarily as a bowler rather than for the 'allrounder' position.

Yes he has over 30 F/C & Limited Overs matches to his credit, but the majority of these were 10 years ago & this is only his 2nd season back in F/C competition isn't it? The other players were by way of comparisson in relation to the 'A' Team squad.

Remember that I am a fan from when he made his ODI debut & would like to see him get another go.

If you read between the lines where do you think he has the most chance of being selected sooner rather than later - as a bowler in his own right (with batting as an added bonus), or as an allrounder???????

anzac

International Debutant
THE MINGSTER said:
Every medium pacer in NZ has outstanding First Class bowling stats but that doesn't mean that are great bowlers.

Walker and Canning will never make it to the Test scene and be threatening bowlers.

Didn't say he was great, just pointed out that people tend to write him off based upon the ODI series & forget about his F/C stats that are no worse than many others.

Again re Walker & Canning - as I have already said the squad I named was not exclusively for Tests, but a mixture for ODIs (since this is where those players had just been selected so may as well run with it for a while & see what comes of it)...

I have also said that I prefer to see a variation in a bowling attack, other than just seam & spin, hence lefties, medium, slow medium & swing.

:D

THE MINGSTER

EG J Marshall has a F/C top score of 235, Horsley 159 so they can put it together and are both in their early 20s - plenty of time to develop further.

So far as being too slow goes what pace did you think Astle bowls at or the likes of Coney???? Another of my criticisms is that the NZ bowling attack is too one paced & I would like to see some greater variations. Furthermore who said anything about these players being considered exclusively for Test cricket & not ODIs?

M Hart batted in the Tail when selected for ODIs & his stats still stand up. I had asked what had happened to him in previous forums but no one said anything.
:) [/B][/QUOTE]

Um...so anyone who can get a century can have bigger futures? Right....

Astle is not a successful bowler and I don't think he's a good example is he. Not a wicket taking bowler at Tests last time I saw him bowl.

It doesn't matte if the attack is one-paced, look at Aussies, they sometimes play with McGrath, Gillespie and Bichel, depending if Lee is injured, and those trio are around the same pace. Gillespie a notch faster.

chris.hinton

International Captain
Assess the current squad and the young stars coming though and my own opitions.... i think that this could be the test side in 2007

( I ususally change it every mouth)

Test Age in brakets could be worng on ages

Trescothick (32)
Vaughan (33)
Collingwood (30)
Kadeer Ali (24)
Flintoff (28)
Gidman (30)
Read (30) or Davies (21)
Spinner (21-27)
Johnson (34)
Anderson (25)
Harminison (29)

reserve
Kabir Ali (26)
Davies (21)
Bell (25)
Batty (29)

chris.hinton

International Captain
Re: England

Neil Pickup said:
Feel free to bring this up in 2006 and make me look an idiot :)

ACADEMY SQUAD

Kadeer Ali (Worcs)
Top order batsman, Kabir's cousin. Has promise and has scored plenty of runs at age group level... but not senior level yet.
Gut feeling: sinking without trace

Simon Francis (Somst)
Pace bowler and injury prone (like we needed another one) - ex-Hants. Not seen too much.
Journeyman County Pro

Alex Gidman (Gloucs)
Hasn't set the World alight but was absolutely fantastic in the Twenty20 final. Useful medium pace.
100+ ODIs and more than a few Tests

Simon Jones (Glam)
We know him. Can he come back from injury properly?
Heart says loads of wickets, head says retired at 28

Shaftab Khalid (Worcs)
Allegedly has a doosra. Will be hoping for Batty to clear off to England and get some CC starts. Could be special.
Fringe of England.. a few Asian tours

Michael Lumb (Yorks)
Another in the line of Yorkie batsmen who the selectors think have got that X factor.
Following Vaughan's footsteps

Sajjid Mahmood (Lancs)
Seamer. That's all I know.
Really don't know...

Graham Napier (Essex)
In the Mark Ealham mould, seamer who can stick around and grit out scores that he probably shouldn't.
ODI man

Scott Newman (Surrey)
Big double ton for the Seconds, will be opening for Surrey this year post-Ward
Will follow Ward into England.. and out again

Kevin Pietersen (Notts)
Tons of potential - but has the nationalisation Hicked him?
Several England chances... but no real success

+Matt Prior (Sussex)
Likely to be in Read's shadow until the Notts man drops the baton
ODI stand in? Will struggle to displace Read

Bilal Shafayat (Notts)
Hasn't stepped up to County level from U19s. Temperament remains a question - likely to remain an enigma
Either the New Botham, or a complete failure

James Tredwell (Kent)
Useful offspinner and utility batsman. Safe in the field
ODIs abound and an Asian tour or three

Graeme Wagg (Warks)
Allrounder yet to show real form at senior level
Road to obscurity

UNDER 19 SQUAD - Very little county experience and as such my knowledge of them is highly limited and guessworkish.

*Samit Patel (Notts)
Fluent LH bat and SLA, 2001 U15 player of the year. Key batsman.

Ravinder Bopara (Essex)
RFM and lower order bat

Tim Bresnan (Yorks)
Impressive RFM and tail end hitter

Dan Broadbent (Yorks)
LH batsman and occasional offie.

Alistair Cook (Essex)
Opening bat, performed well for U19s in summer

Steven Davies (Worcs)
Back up wicketkeeper to New.

Adam Harrison (Glam)
David's brother, promising RFM

James Hildreth (Somst)
One of the only Somerset players to show some degree of grit last summer. Could go a long way. RH middle order.

Mark Lawson (Yorks)
Leggie. Blame Jenner.

+Tom New (Leics)
Keeper-bat. Can hit the ball very hard.

Liam Plunkett (Durham)
Forms a new ball pair with Bresnan that will rival anything on offer at the WC. Lower order barnacle.

David Stiff (Yorks)
Out and out paceman

Mark Turner (Durham)
RHB, RMF. Middle name is Leif.

Luke Wright (Leics)
Played for Bourne in Lincs ECB Prem in 03. Middle order bat and RM wicket to wicket.

Blame jenner for Mark Lawson i admit i surpised he is there i think there are better

anzac

International Debutant
THE MINGSTER said:
Um...so anyone who can get a century can have bigger futures? Right....

Astle is not a successful bowler and I don't think he's a good example is he. Not a wicket taking bowler at Tests last time I saw him bowl.

It doesn't matte if the attack is one-paced, look at Aussies, they sometimes play with McGrath, Gillespie and Bichel, depending if Lee is injured, and those trio are around the same pace. Gillespie a notch faster. [/B]

jeez you take things so literally........remember I said that this squad is not exclusively Test orientated, nor does it represent players ready to be used NOW, as opposed to some who could develop in the future as they have youth on their side but have shown some signs.

When you are talking about a list of 35 names some are bound to have better credentials than others & some are bound to drop out along the way (as some have already done as you pointed out). I'm not saying that J Marshall & Horsley are THE fututre openers for NZ or the 'A' Team, just that they could have a future at some higher level having those F/C scores at their ages. Personally I can think of at least 2 others I would put ahead of them in that list, but you never know what may happen between now & when the opportunity may or may not come up.

again we shall have to agree to disagree, as we have different philosophies regarding what each of us would like to see in a bowling attack.........

Not every bowler used has the role of taking wickets. Astle may not be a wicket taker but he has been an important bowling option for NZ esp in ODIs. His function has been to tie down an end and restrict run scoring by good line & length & not having any pace for the batsmen to work off. It's part of the strangulation tactics that NZ has been so good at.

IMO the Aussie attack is genuine fast / med, with McGrath being in the low 130s, Bichel the mid 130s & Gillespie in the high 130s - low 140s, so I can't see how you can say they are about the same pace with a 5 - 10 kph difference between them.

By contrast from what I have seen lately Cairns, Tuffey & Oram are all around the low 130s mark with about 5 kph between them, with Styris slower yet. IMO this then makes the NZ seam attack closer to being just over med pace, rather than genuine fast / med or med / fast (which ever way you want to call it). Even the Indian seam attack in the 1st Test had more pace than NZ's! This is nothing against the Indians but they aren't renowned for producing seam bowling!

This is why I would like to see something different in this era of flatter pitches - genuine pace, left arm, swing or wrist spin.

The whole point of my starting this thread was to try to find out what sort of depth was out there (particularly NZ). Not having any local knowledge or player profiles to work with (other than the very basics), I put a squad together in an attempt to cover a range of positions, depth & experience looking to some sort of succession planning. The idea was to get some feed back & local info & profiles.

Since you seem to be in the know, how about giving us your objective thumbnail profiles of these players so I can be brought up to speed with who's who in the zoo - as I genuinely would like to know where the future lies and what sort of players we are looking at! Furthermore please let us know who you feel are the players to watch for the future, as well as being currently on the fringe.

Our differing philosophies will have to remain just that & preferably without the perceived aggro / snide remarks etc......:D

Last edited: