• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Australian top order doom and gloom thread

AlanJLegend

U19 Vice-Captain
I was considering just making a post about this in the AUS/SA thread or even the road to the 2013 Ashes thread, but I feel this problem is significant and grave enough to deserve a thread of its own. You will have to forgive me for a lack of statistics; I'm not great with statsguru. But I think you all know what I am talking about.

Our top order sucks, or at best is terribly inconsistent. Top order collapses are a part of cricket no doubt, but when being 3/50 or so happens in EVERY innings we have a serious problem on our hands, especially if we want to win back the Ashes. Despite our disgraceful performances by the top 3 (intermingled with the occasional century by one of them), Clarke and Hussey are dominating at 5/6, and our tail is one of the strongest in world cricket.

Lets go through the batsmen in question;

David Warner: Has a lot of talent, bowls handy offspin and is a very good fielder. Occasionally belts lightning-fast hundreds, but lacks a good defensive technique and often gets out doing stupid things.

Ed Cowan: Made the team after piling on runs for Tasmania and Aus A. Scored a classy ton on a plat pitch in Brisbane. Apart from 3 50s hasn't done much else.

Shane Watson: World-class alrounder, vice captain, integral part of the team. Has a knack of consistently piling on 50 then getting out.

Ricky Ponting: Amazing against India, reasonably inconsistent since. Retired now, needs to be replaced for Sri Lanka series.

Michael Clarke: God-like form. Has scored bazillions of runs.

Michael Hussey: Second-best batsman behind Clarke over the past year. Likely (but no certainty) to retire after our next home summer.

Possible replacements (in very rough pecking order)
-Usman Khawaja
-Phil Hughes
-George Bailey
-Alex Doolan
-Stephen Smith
-Rob Quiney
-Shaun Marsh
-Haddin?
-Henriques?

What the **** do we do? :(

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Warner bowls leggies FWIW.

Usman should be next in line followed by Hughes. After that, who knows.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has

Srsly. I don't care if he's a dick or whatever. **** can bat.

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
yep, can bat. dont understand why he was dropped from the Aus odi side in the first place, looked very comfortable.

aussie tragic

International Captain
I'd go with the following

1. Warner
2. Hughes
3. Khawaja
4. Watson
5. Clarke
6. Hussey
7. Wade

Aussie "A"

1. Cowan
2. Quiney
3. Doolan
4. Bailey
5. Ferguson
6. Smith
7. Paine

Justo

U19 Debutant
I'd go with.

Warner
Cowan
Hughes
Watson
Clarke
Hussey
Wade

Khawaja being the reserve batsmen. If a Middle order bat needs to be dropped Khawaja gets the call. If an opener is dropped Hughes moves up(provided he's doing OK @ 3).