• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Australian top order doom and gloom thread

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
There is no reason to move Clarke and Hussey, unless they want to.

Clarke and Hussey at 5 and 6 kept us in the series against SA far longer than we should have been in it.

Just ****ing find someone to bat at #3. That's all that needs to happen. Not Clarke, not Hussey.

And if Watson doesn't make big runs against SL, the **** can piss off as well. Most overhyped and over talked about mediocre test cricketer I can recall. Averages 36 with the bat, only has 2 100s in 66 innings, and takes less than 2 wickets per test.

Ruckus

International Captain
long overdue stevie boy. massive **** up by successive panels.
Yeah would have thought it would be the perfect way to bring him back to test team too. No idea why they haven't done it, but I'm starting to think this selection panel is no better than the one before.

howardj

International Coach
If it ain't broke...

Why risk wrecking the only thing in the batting line up that's working awesomely? Don't see your logic at all.
It's a good, robust debate

For mine, I just don't subscribe to the view that his improved batsmanship is inextricably linked to his position in the order

I would much rather not be 3/80...in need of a rescue mission

Ruckus

International Captain
I like the idea of Warner eventually being our long term #3
Yeah so do I. Guess it might be cause he reminds me of Ponting a little. And I could see him acquiring the same kind of 'aura' to do with his personality and game on the field. Hughes could well end up being the best batsman out of those 3 in the side, but he'll always be pretty understated in how he comes across.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Edit: Secondly, over the last 9 tests that he's played in (since August 2011 - the Sri Lanka series), Watson has averaged 24 with the bat and 23 with the ball (taking under 2wpm). His bowling output has been very good. His batting output has been dire.
How is less than 2 wickets per match a very good bowling output?

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Maybe because his role as a bowler isn't to take bags of wickets, but instead come on and break big partnerships/build pressure.

Not every bowler has the role of taking big 5 wicket hauls.

Last edited:

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It's more a matter of the wickets he's taken and the way in which he's bowled than the WPM figure he's gotten. He can't be expected to do better with the ball than he has (particularly with his fragile body). He should be expected to do better with the bat than he has though.

Spikey

Usman is currently 15* off 64

Tbf, only 2 fours, and both were cuts, not pulls

Spikey

Took 14 off the next Randiv over. 4, 4, 6. All over square. Those aren't the runs we wanted to see.

Spikey

It's an awkward spot for him. He's gotta do what's best for the team (although not as important here), but at the same time, that ratio just isn't gonna satisfy the selectors

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Just pick Ben Dwarshuis and be done with it. At the rate he's climbing the ladder, he'll be batting 3 for Australia this time next year.