• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Nasser Hussain comments

Craig

World Traveller
Apprantly he is in a lot of trouble for calling Muttiah Muralitharan 'a ******* cheat and a ******* chucker.'

And so the Sri Lankan management made a official complant to Clive Lloyd.

One thing I have learnt out of this is that Hussain is a pretty rich man with to much many and needs up spending it as IMO he will be pretty poor after those comments.

Hey wouldnt he mind sending me some money?

iamdavid

International Debutant
Ouch :O

If there's conclusive evidence then he'll be dealt with very , very harshly for that one.

And rightly so:)

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
It was an incident which got somewhat out of hand.

Murali was bowled (ball just clipped the off bail) - no-one saw it apart from Read (and me several thousand miles away - maybe the old peepers aren't so bad after all). After a couple of seconds, the penny dropped as far as Giles was concerned, then Aleem Dar called 'not out' (apparently).

After some prompting, he went to talk to Daryl Harper (no clues there on current performance), Vaughan got involved and sanity prevailed - they spoke to the third umpire (when it was apparent to everyone in the ground that Murali had in fact been bowled).

The cameras weren't focusing on Hussain and/or Murali from what I saw, although the mesmeric one's eyes seemed to go up like chapel hat pegs as he was walking off.

If true, methinks the end of Hussain's tour.

Swanny

School Boy/Girl Captain
Just seen this thread after posting in another one about this. It was blantantly out. In fact as an England supporter if they were prepared to accept that with no complaint i'd be disapointed frankly. It's a test match for goodness sake, they need to show a bit of passion.

I played in a midweek game last season when a guy got bowled, the umpire said not out, then sqaure leg said he thought he was out but wasn't sure. So the other umpire asked the batsman if he was happy about that decision, he said no sop the other umpire said ok then not out!!Unsurprisingly tempers were more than a little heated and more choice words than Hussains were issued.

The point is this was in a Grimsby midweek game, a test match is a million times more important. Can fully understand Hussains reactions and support them frankly, Murali knew he was out.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
We had a very similar situation in the Bews Brown Semi Final at Sleaford. Long drawn out conference between players and umpires and they finally got it right.

We had it on video anyway.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Apparently, the Hussain v Murali thing was nothing to do with the Murali dismissal - it is alleged that 'something' was said whilst the twirly was on his way out to bat.

Clive Lloyd basically banged their heads together and told them to grow up.

The duck is taking notes, however, so you may well get the full 'story' tomorrow

<quack> definitely

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Re: Murali's potential dismissal.

Aren't they allowed to refer something like that? I remember a couple of occasions when the bails came off and it was referred to the man upstairs to see whether it was bowled, hit wicket etc.

Bouncer

State Regular
Swanny said:
The point is this was in a Grimsby midweek game, a test match is a million times more important. Can fully understand Hussains reactions and support them frankly, Murali knew he was out. [/B]
I cant beileve that this is same forum where people were in favor of ban on shaoib akhter against SA few weeks ago....and now when englishman does this, it is due to the heat of the moment, he is supported..and when an Asian cricketer does this there is a Ban right away.:!(or atleast a 20 page report to ICC.

Think about 3rd test match in India- Australia series and Gangually calles Brett lee a ****er and cheater, during the game, we all know whats going to happen there.:!(

Swanny

School Boy/Girl Captain
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Re: Murali's potential dismissal.

Aren't they allowed to refer something like that? I remember a couple of occasions when the bails came off and it was referred to the man upstairs to see whether it was bowled, hit wicket etc.
They dragged the rules up on this, on Sky and it stated they aren't actually allowed to go to the umpire over bowled, only run outs, hit wicket etc. Therefore i think they used a technicality when in the end they refered it to the 3rd umpire that it "might" have been hit wicket. Once obviously the umpire then saw it he said out!

However interestingly as Murali didn't hit his wicket and you can't refer bowled to the 3rd umpire should it have been given not out? Its an argument but personally i'm pleased common sense prevailed as a cricket fan as much as an England fan.

I can only assume being bowled is non-referable because it is assumed its so bleedi' obvious when someone gets bowled there out. Murali knew he was out, should have walked in my opinion.

Swanny

School Boy/Girl Captain
Bouncer said:
I cant beileve that this is same forum where people were in favor of ban on shaoib akhter against SA few weeks ago....and now when englishman does this, it is due to the heat of the moment, he is supported..and when an Asian cricketer does this there is a Ban right away.:!(or atleast a 20 page report to ICC.

Think about 3rd test match in India- Australia series and Gangually calles Brett lee a ****er and cheater, during the game, we all know whats going to happen there.:!(

Well a forum, especially one as busy as this, usually holds a whole multitude of opinions so blaming this "forum" is a little silly. Anyway as for the second point, I never made a comment on the Shaoib incident as I haven't seen it so therefore can't really comment with any authority.

If there are undertones in your post that this forum is anti-Asian then all I can say is that I certainly have never felt that to be the case.

As for the last point, well personally I don't mind a bit of industrial language in the workplace so to speak. Lee's had his problems and everyone has his own opinion on his action. Whether winding up a bowler who can bowl 95+MPH before you face them is a good idea however, well i'll leave that one to you.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Bouncer said:

Well, the comment you are referring to (the one made by Swanny) was made just after the news about the 'swearing incident' was being reported - and he, like me, thought that it must have been something to do with the dismissal.

Apparently, it was when Murali arrived at the wicket that the swearing occurred.

Besides, all the other comments made were somewhat anti-Hussain (I said that it could be the end of his tour), so where the hell you got your 'anti- Asian' nonsense from, I don't know.

Every comment up until your diatribe

Craig - "This'll cost him"
Iamdavid - "Will be harshly dealt with - and deservedly so"
Luckyeddie - "The end of Hussain's tour"
Mr M - "Replaced by Ed Smith, perhaps?"
Neil - "He's been cleared" (after Lloyd reported)
Swanny - "Can understand Nassers reactions - Murali knew he was out" (obviously getting the incidents mixed up)
Then 3 other comments about the referral of the dismissal to the third umpire.

Now, I have to choose my words very carefully about what I think about your comment - so I'll say nothing.

Legglancer

State Regular
Foul mouth Hussain escapes punishment

by Sa'adi Thawfeeq reporting from Kandy

KANDY, Thursday - Former captain Nasser Hussain under whose captaincy there
was a lot of ill-feeling during the last Test series between Sri Lanka and England in
2001 has started a similar campaign in the on-going Test series.

Hussain is alleged to have called Muttiah Muralitharan 'a f-- chucker' and 'a f-- cheat'
when he came into bat in the Sri Lanka first innings on the second day of the second
Test here today. The batsman had reported this incident to the umpires and then to
the manager of the Sri Lanka team Ajith Jayasekera who filed a complaint to the ICC
match referee Clive Lloyd. Lloyd who held an inquiry into the incident and at the end
the day issued the following statement:

"We had video evidence and there is nothing to show that Hussain made that
statement. But having looked at what happened when Muralitharan arrived it is
obvious that something was said but we have no evidence of what the exact words
that were said to him.

"At the moment I will have to exonerate him from the charge. But I want to make it
quite clear to having looked at the situation in the last Test and this one and I am very
disappointed with the behaviour of both teams. I had a word this morning with the
manager of the Sri Lankan team and I had a chat with the England team.

"But unfortunately, this situation came to a head. I've warned them that as of
tomorrow anything that is said contravening this code of conduct would he dealt with
very harshly. I will not be cautioning anybody anymore. I will dealing with it rather
seriously because they are professionals and they should show some integrity where
this game is concerned.

"Some of the guys are young some are seasoned professionals. I think the older ones
should inculcate the right sort of mannerism where cricket is concerned. Cricket has
been my life and I suppose is the livelihood a lot of these guys here and we cannot
tarnish that. We have a lot of people watching this game on television and we like to
give them the right image."

England captain Michael Vaughan on arrival for the tour assured the series will be
played in the right spirit with a little bit of bantering in the middle.

The Galle Test which Hussain was forced to sit out due to a virus was played free of
any such incidents.