• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Du Plessis = the new Hussey/Trott?

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
As in be decent to good at FC level for many years, start to hit form, gets a call-up and guns it?

Daemon

Don't think this really deserves a thread Morgie :p

Don't nearly 50% of Test players come from having a couple of decent years and a breakthrough season though?

morgieb

Don't think this really deserves a thread Morgie :p

Don't nearly 50% of Test players come from having a couple of decent years and a breakthrough season though?
Percentage of them that succeeded?

He just looks all class now.

flibbertyjibber

Duminy looked class in Australia a few years back and look what happened with him. Not saying Faf is going to go that way but Trott has dropped right off and is lucky to not have been dropped yet and only Hussey has sustained the average over 50. Faf certainly going to stay in the side in the short term at least ahead of Rudolph/Duminy.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
I don't see the comparison.

Faf Du Plessis has largely been a poor first class cricketer for most of his career. Turned things around last season and was rewarded with selection. Hussey and Trott put together year upon year of heavy domestic scoring.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Faf has really surprised me, to be fair. As I said in another thread it's probably partly a product of mainly seeing players in limited overs mode, but based of what he'd done for Lancs when he was Kolpaking away, he looked the kinda of chap who'd score you a breezy 25-40, nick off or sky one to mid off, ta v much and then send down some almost serviceable wrist spin.

Latter statement is probably closer to how his test career (all one test & one day of it) has panned out thus far.

Excepting his leggies have to improve dramatically to become "alomst serviceable".

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The Faf Du Plessis who played for Lancashire a few seasons back was distinctly ordinary - in fact so ordinary that without DNA evidence I'm not prepared to accept the bloke currently playing for South Africa is the same man

Howe_zat

Audio File
Was looking to see what he needs for the best Test average ever. Turns out it's 71 more before his next dismissal, to beat Rowe's 336.