• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Starc vs Boult - who will have the better career?

Who will have greater success on the international stage?

• Total voters

Flem274*

123/5
TC raises a good point.

Starc's action and body appear more suited to a long career than Boult's. Touch wood, Boult has been pretty good since his almost continuous injuries from 2008 - 2010. Long may it continue and please don't let this be a jinx.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I don't get it. Boult has a nice easy action and is by all accounts the fittest player in the team.

He's slowly putting on muscle and is not as skinny as he was a couple of years ago.

I see no reason to predict injury.

I actually think him being slight is an advantage. Less stress on his joints. Bigger guys are much more likely to get injured IMO.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
The only thing about Boult's action which worries me is his lack of a real explosive pivot over the front leg. It crumples far too much, so he probably puts in more effort than he has to to achieve his pace. Don't know if that increases his chances of injury though.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
I wasn't entirely sure how I felt when I originally voted on this. Glad I voted how I did. My rating of Starc has actually improved quite a bit since then as well. Boult WAG.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Would be good to throw Junaid Khan into the mix as well. He looks like he could potentially be better than either Starc or Boult. A good crop of lefties coming through even with the massive disappointment that was Amir.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, Junaid is classy. Quick, moves the ball both ways and does it all day, one of those rare Pakistani bowlers who's primarily a seam bowler rather than doing all his work in the air or cutting across the ball (not that I'm suggesting he can't swing it - far from it). Reminds me a bit of Allan Mullally but, y'know, good. Love the guy.

Last edited:

Teja.

Global Moderator
Junaid definitely is a class above both, at the mo and also more or less a 'finished product' compared to the others who are still grappling inconsistency and bowling variations in different conditions.

The main difference is that Junaid already has a ****ing awesome FC career behind him for a 23 year old which gives him the edge of experience. (246 wickets @ 21.5)

I reckon both in the poll have the potential to be seriously good if they peak well but I'll still back Junaid over either, even for the future.

Top_Cat

Yeah, he has the killer instinct Starc lacks, is always at you whereas Starc is more of a front-runner at present.

The Pakistan pace bowling talent pool is just ****ing ridic.

Howe_zat

Audio File
I wouldn't bg up their fast bowling talent pool that much, certainly not compared to Australia's'. Junaid is quality but past that they have the unproven Irfan and Gul is unspectacular. They have much better depth in spinners really.

Top_Cat

I wouldn't bg up their fast bowling talent pool that much, certainly not compared to Australia's'. Junaid is quality but past that they have the unproven Irfan and Gul is unspectacular. They have much better depth in spinners really.
I dig Riaz too.

Should probably have qualified it as raw talent. Always seem to have 20 blokes on the chain bowling 90+. Of course, this is necessary because the have careers which can be measured in minutes but still.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
Yeah, he has the killer instinct Starc lacks, is always at you whereas Starc is more of a front-runner at present.

The Pakistan pace bowling talent pool is just ****ing ridic.
Junaid still has some way to go. He has learnt to bowl the Inswinger using the White ball but didn't show it against RSA using the red ball. He also has to improve in bowling friendly conditions.

As for our bowling talent pool it's rubbish at the moment.