• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Starc vs Boult - who will have the better career?

Who will have greater success on the international stage?

• Total voters

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The science is showing that fast bowlers get injured and need to be managed until they're 24-25, then after that they become much more resilient and bullet proof.

Pattinson is 22.
Starc is 22.
Cummins is 19.
Jesus, how bout you quote me next time, punk.

Blain

U19 Captain
This thread has turned into a NZ vs Aus troll feast as expected.

Oz certainly has the better depth in young fast bowlers. I think we have some really promising guys as well, but they cant stay on the park in domestic cricket let alone internationals (Wheeler, Henry, Milne, Small, Duffy), who all bowl at a good clip with movement at the age of around 18-22.

Starc vs Boult, Starc has a bit more pace and movement. Boult has a better bowling action imo, nice and high with a tidy release with movement in the air and off the pitch. Starc jogs in and almost slings it down. But I can see him being a more effective bowler at the end of the day due to his pace and being in the Aussie invironment.

Andre

International Regular
Jesus, how bout you quote me next time, punk.
Unsurprisingly TC and benchy spot on. Generally speaking these injuries happen behind closed doors when the guys in that age group are coming up through grade and state cricket. Most of our fast bowlers in the past 15 or so years have come in to the side around 24-25 or older when their bodies have matured.

Last quick to come in to the group at a similar age was J Gillespie, and he was cursed with injury until his mid-20's and then didn't miss a lot of cricket.

Part and parcel of the age group, it's just these guys have made the next step a lot earlier than our recent quicks so we've been blessed to have hardened cricketers coming in. Don't really need a team of scientific gurus to tell us why it is happening.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
To get back on topic...

I think Starc will have the better career. He will benefit from having a lot of depth in support bowlers, and a cricketing system in Australia that has more money to spend on further development and the like than New Zealand does. Andre, TC and benchy are all right in regards to his age and injury. If he doesn't have a Franklin-style game changing injury he should be on the road to pick up 300 test wickets at the least.

In terms of the better attacks, we should start a different thread for that which really will just be patriotic argument until 2 or more years have passed when all the aforementioned will have played a lot more Tests and have gotten past that early, injury-prone time of their early 20s. As it stands, I don't think you can really say New Zealand has the better attack, even if the line up has been more 'reliable' than the ever changing Australian pace attack.

sphynx

U19 Debutant
Back off topic slightly, didn't want to start a new thread, probably the best place for it:

Was an article in the paper (I'll try to find it) with an interview with Cummins today.

Said the fracture will be completely closed up in 3 weeks.

Has knocked back an IPL contract, and has told CA that he's not to be selected for T20 or ODI's, he's focusing only on red ball cricket from now on (fantastic attitude from the 19 year old).

He's been ruled out of India, because he won't be playing any shield cricket before Febuary.

He's going over to England to play grade cricket (lol), and some county cricket, to prepare for the Ashes in England which is his no.1 focus atm.

He said, he's going to try and bowl as many overs as possible in the English grade system, to build up his fitness, before hitting the county circuit (good luck to those blokes).

He admited he's unlikely to play all the games, but probably be more of an "impact" bowler, essentially playing every second test......

I thought he would be aiming for the home series, if he's fit for England, it's another dimension to the attack imo...

Last edited:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Has knocked back an IPL contract, and has told CA that he's not to be selected for T20 or ODI's, he's focusing only on red ball cricket from now on (fantastic attitude from the 19 year old).
Great move, I wish we'd do the same with Milne.

IMO, it's not just a good attitude but it's smart as well. Nearly all fast bowlers get smashed in t20, and all they get out of it is a decent slower ball. It doesn't encourage working on seam presentation or rhythm or the ability to bowl long spell.

Spark

Global Moderator
Back off topic slightly, didn't want to start a new thread, probably the best place for it:

Was an article in the paper (I'll try to find it) with an interview with Cummins today.

He's been ruled out of India, because he won't be playing any shield cricket before Febuary.

He's going over to England to play grade cricket (lol), and some county cricket, to prepare for the Ashes in England which is his no.1 focus atm.

He said, he's going to try and bowl as many overs as possible in the English grade system, to build up his fitness, before hitting the county circuit (good luck to those blokes).

He admited he's unlikely to play all the games, but probably be more of an "impact" bowler, essentially playing every second test......

I thought he would be aiming for the home series, if he's fit for England, it's another dimension to the attack imo...
Gun. Top attitude.

Especially since he's still developing his action, and doesn't need it messed up by short-form cricket as he's alluded to.

Last edited:

flibbertyjibber

Depends of course on him being selected. Guess they could take him and Harris and play them in alternate tests though.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Nah every once in a while he produces a ripper spell between his usual filth. Which kind of makes him an older Starc :ph34r:
I'm tempted to say that this is on seaming wickets and/or against substandard batsmen.

When I watched him against the West Indies his seam presentation was horrible and he got no swing or deviation off the pitch.

ohnoitsyou

International Regular
I'm tempted to say that this is on seaming wickets and/or against substandard batsmen.

When I watched him against the West Indies his seam presentation was horrible and he got no swing or deviation off the pitch.
Yeah his seam presentation is filth, but most Otago supporters i have talked to swear that he gets nearly as much swing as Timmeh and Boult, and apparently is the best reverse-swinger in the country. But then he bowled **** at slow pace in his "ideal conditions" on the WI tour so who knows.

Edit: The bowling conditions were not the greatest in the WI if i remember correctly, but we should get a look at him in one of the tests

Last edited:

sphynx

U19 Debutant
Both of these players coming along very nicely..................

And I dare say some of those calling Starc trash earlier in thread might be a little more quiet, he's probably one of the best short format bowlers in the world at present.

flibbertyjibber

To me Boult looks head and shoulders above the rest of the NZ bowlers. Hope he stays fit as he could end up a very very good bowler.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Boult looks much better for mine, Starc is dangerous in shorter formats and on up/down pitches but Boult is far more accurate and gets movement more consistently.