View Poll Results: Who will have greater success on the international stage?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • Starc

21 42.00%
  • Boult

26 52.00%
  • excorcisms for everyone

3 6.00%
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Starc vs Boult - who will have the better career?

International Captain wellAlbidarned's Avatar
    Neither would Starc though, so I don't really get this "He's going to have a much harder time because australia's fast bowling stocks are better" argument.
    Exit pursuing a beer

International Vice-Captain Howsie's Avatar
    Super Mario Rampage 1 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bahnz View Post
    It's great that Boult has the accuracy and temperament of a bowler 5 years his senior, but it does make you wonder about how much more he's likely to improve. Starc on the other hand has all the tools to one day be a world-beater, and he looks like he's well on his way to getting there.
    Why exactly would he need to improve? Genuine question too. He's played half his matches in the SC, has 26 wickets @ 29 so far and has been laughably unlucky for the most part.
    Northern Districts
    Proudly supporting KS Williamson, TG Southee, TA Boult, DR Flynn, BJ Watling, CJ Anderson and IS Sodhi

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    boy Bahnz really is a sour puss
    Indians can't bowl - Where has the rumour come from as I myself and many indian friends arwe competent fast bowlers ?

With the English bid I said: Let us be brief. If you give back the Falkland Islands, which belong to us, you will get my vote. They then became sad and left

On top of a pile of money, surrounded by many beautiful women
    Quote Originally Posted by Howsie View Post
    Why exactly would he need to improve? Genuine question too. He's played half his matches in the SC, has 26 wickets @ 29 so far and has been laughably unlucky for the most part.
    After seeing Starc's spell yesterday, I think he has the all the tools to be a real great for Australia over the next decade. The sky is the limit for him.

Boult doesn't need to improve at all in order to have a long and successful test career. If he keeps bowling like he has in the past 6 months (and isn't stricken with injury), I reckon it's likely that he'll take 300+ wickets at under 30. But I do think he'll need to improve (and significantly) if he's to keep pace with Starc over the next few years
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I can think of a list of Sydney Grade posters who would contribute a better average post than Bahnz.
    Maow like no one can hear you maowing.

Quote Originally Posted by Spikey View Post
    boy Bahnz really is a sour puss

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Starc has wonderful assets and a high celing and everything but he's in the basement of the house that is his potential atm. For every spell like yesterday there are five spells of MJ esque filth, especially if I happen to be watching for some reason. If you can't put the ball in the right areas often enough, you are going to forever suck even if you bowl 145kph.

Boult is going to return to NZ and look like a God in conditions that will actually suit him swinging it in to the right hander at 140kph, but with the way we manage our fast bowlers there's probably a 50/50 chance he's permainjured by the time he's 27. Or maybe he'll take a break from cricket after getting infuriated by some **** in NZC.

What I'm saying is these guys have a lot of water to go under their bridges.

[derail]thread[/derail]

And one note on Henry Bahnzie: he's been simply too good in every game he's played, bowling in pain apparenty, as a teenager. He won't play for NZ for a while yet because he's finally having his surgery but he isn't in the same bracket as Duffy, Small etc.

Wheeler and Milne have bossed every game they've played but much like Boult three or so years ago, they only play half the damn FC games each season.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

Boult won't get injured.

Know how I know? Because he's fit.

Unlike almost every other bowler out there.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    He's already had the back injuries. Once you start, they're always there to follow you around.

Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    He's already had the back injuries. Once you start, they're always there to follow you around.
    Not necessarily. Once Bond fixed his action in 2005 he never suffered another serious back injury in the last 5 years of his career. Too bad that his knees turned out to be just as fragile as his spine.

International Debutant ohnoitsyou's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bahnz View Post
    Not necessarily. Once Bond fixed his action in 2005 he never suffered another serious back injury in the last 5 years of his career. Too bad that his knees turned out to be just as fragile as his spine.
    I just don't see Boult being as lethal after an action change, his frame is just to small to give much to work with. Luckily however Bond is probably the perfect coach to give Boult a chance of an injury free career without turning him into another mid 130kmh plodder.

International Captain wellAlbidarned's Avatar
    Boult generally does bowl in the mid 130s anyway.

International Captain Pup Clarke's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    For every spell like yesterday there are five spells of MJ esque filth, especially if I happen to be watching for some reason. .
    Come on - Starc's average spells are nothing like MJ at his worst. Starc just looks utterly innocuous because he has a tendency to overpitch far too often, Johnson just bowled short and wide rubbish and looked laughably bad, which Starc never has imo.
    Proud member of the Twenty20 is boring society

E-Mail - liamhowgate@yahoo.co.uk
    MSN - liamhowgate@hotmail.com

Tournaments Won: 1
    Starc will be better because he's an Aussie. Boult will probably be good, but nothing special. average around 32 probably.

Starc will be supported by quality quicks and will sit around a 27 average.
    @CowsCorner - 202 followers and counting!

Disclaimer: I am a biased South African. Anything I say is likely to have something in it that ultimately favours the Proteas.

Quote Originally Posted by MrPrez View Post
    Starc will be better because he's an Aussie. Boult will probably be good, but nothing special. average around 32 probably.

Starc will be supported by quality quicks and will sit around a 27 average.
    Well, you're welcome to your opinion but if anything I think the NZ quicks are better than the Aussie ones, at least on current form. If you compare both recent tests against the Sri Lankans the NZ quicks were more consistent and bowled SL out for less runs on even flatter wickets.

A bowling attack of Siddle, Pattinson and Starc would look pretty awesome though.
    Last edited by hendrix; 19-12-2012 at 02:33 PM.

State Vice-Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by wellAlbidarned View Post
    Boult generally does bowl in the mid 130s anyway.
    Yeah he does but I think he chooses when to ramp things up based on the sort of movement and is getting.

I wonder if he can bowl consistently at 140 range. I couldn't care less if he bowls faster than that as long as he can consistently do 140 when he decides to.

I think the guy could be a sub 30 bowler plus he looks like the guy from the Inbetweeners which is cool.

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread Information