View Poll Results: Who will have greater success on the international stage?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • Starc

21 42.00%
  • Boult

26 52.00%
  • excorcisms for everyone

3 6.00%
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Starc vs Boult - who will have the better career?

International Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Arachnodouche View Post
    At least Boult looks like he's charging in to bowl as fast as his frame can let him. Starc seems to just float the ball up there. He doesn't seem to have the aggression of a Pattinson either.
    Well Pattinson doesn't have the aggressive bowling his body language suggests.

He is much more accurate compared to Starc, but he just bowls the same stuff over and over again. He'll be awesome on pitches with movement, but on flat pitches he'll be made to look average just like Starc.

Both Patto and Starc need a good bouncer and in general just more variety. Starc also needs more control but the advantage he has over Patto is he has a killer inswinger which he can exploit on occasions.

Boult is the better bowler now but Starc has more potential if he could develop more skills.

International Captain Pup Clarke's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TumTum View Post
    Well Pattinson doesn't have the aggressive bowling his body language suggests.
    What's your definition of aggressive bowling though? Just hitting people on the lid?
    Proud member of the Twenty20 is boring society

E-Mail - liamhowgate@yahoo.co.uk
    MSN - liamhowgate@hotmail.com

International Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Pup Clarke View Post
    What's your definition of aggressive bowling though? Just hitting people on the lid?
    IMO for a big fast bowler: When they can trouble batsmen with either vicious bouncers, yorkers/v. full deliveries or rushing the batsmen with pace.

Axe killer Patto only troubles batsmen with very good line/length balls atm, which is not a bad thing but I think he needs something more to become a really great bowler.

Don't be jealous of the Georgie Pie super smash
    @Albi

I have been watching him closely. His front side does not collapse but unlike other bowlers his top half of his body seems to fold over much sooner in his action. This means that he is not getting the full benefit of his height.

My other observation and I would love to see some stats on this but his arms look really long. So although he loses some height by bending over too quickly his long arms means he is still delivering it from a great height.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I got great enjoyment in going to the game and shouting "WHY THE **** ISN'T THIS GAME BEING PLAYED AT THE BASIN?!>!?!?" to reasonably significant cheers from the sparse crowd
    Proudly against the bring back Bennett movement since he is injury prone and won't last 5 days.

International Captain straw man's Avatar
    Starc is far more like Southee than Boult. Just like Southee, Starc has all the physical attributes to be a top bowler so it becomes a question of mastering the mental side of bowling, plus experience.

On top of a pile of money, surrounded by many beautiful women
    Having watched Starc today, I'm changing my vote. He's bigger and quicker than Boult, and he swings it both ways. Huge talent.
    I can think of a list of Sydney Grade posters who would contribute a better average post than Bahnz.
    Maow like no one can hear you maowing.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Lands it on the pitch once in a blue moon though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    Lands it on the pitch once in a blue moon though.
    Nah, he's been hitting the right areas with great consistency today. He's still inconsistent, but he'll iron out the wrinkles with time. Also thought he bowled well for poor reward in the first innings (although that's one area where I think Boult still has the edge over him).

Yeah I don't disagree that when he gets it right he is jizzworthy, but along with some of the most promising spells I've seen from an Aussie quick he's bowled some of the most hilariously bad spells I've seen from any quick his age.

It's not just his accuracy he struggles with. He needs to get street smart. But he still has ages left.

Poll needs at "they'll both be permanently injured at 27" option btw.

International Coach HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    Rummaging through Iain O'Brien's dustbins.

It's not just his accuracy he struggles with. He needs to get street smart. But he still has ages left.
    Vomit. Methinks someone has been listening to far too much **** telecast commentary, Phlegm.

Such an awful, awful phrase to apply to cricket.
    >>>>>>WHHOOOOOOOOOSHHHHHHH>>>>>>
    Fascist Dictator of the Heath Davis Appreciation Society
    Supporting Petone's Finest since the very start - Iain O'Brien
    Adam Wheater - Another batsman off the Essex production line
    Also Supporting the All Time #1 Batsman of All Time Ever - Jacques Kallis and the much maligned Peter Siddle.

Vimes tells it how it is:
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    Heath worryingly quick.

Vomit. Methinks someone has been listening to far too much **** telecast commentary, Phlegm.

Such an awful, awful phrase to apply to cricket.
    Watched almost every ball of a series with Morrison and McMillan commentating in it. It's not my fault!

International Coach HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    Rummaging through Iain O'Brien's dustbins.
    Watched almost every ball of a series with Morrison and McMillan commentating in it. It's not my fault!
    It certainly explains it. Not many worse commentating cliches than using a phrase which in the context is an absolute vacuum of meaning of any sort whatsoever to fill a dead air gap. Street smarts and 'showing character' being the absolute worst of these phrases.

It certainly explains it. Not many worse commentating cliches than using a phrase which in the context is an absolute vacuum of meaning of any sort whatsoever to fill a dead air gap. Street smarts and 'showing character' being the absolute worst of these phrases.
    Heef posting with intent. Really needs a post here. It's a big moment for HeefDavisSpeed.

Yeah I don't disagree that when he gets it right he is jizzworthy, but along with some of the most promising spells I've seen from an Aussie quick he's bowled some of the most hilariously bad spells I've seen from any quick his age.
    It's great that Boult has the accuracy and temperament of a bowler 5 years his senior, but it does make you wonder about how much more he's likely to improve. Starc on the other hand has all the tools to one day be a world-beater, and he looks like he's well on his way to getting there.

Still, we would've said the same thing about the other Mitch after the 09 tour of SA, and look how that turned out.

I think Boult's biggest obstacle is his back, and Starc's is what I said above. Been banging on about it all thread but it's a guessing game and this could go either way or even no ones way and Mitchell Johnson could be remembered more than either (even if for entertainment only).

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread Information