• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Starc vs Boult - who will have the better career?

Who will have greater success on the international stage?

• Total voters

Arachnodouche

International Captain
At least Boult looks like he's charging in to bowl as fast as his frame can let him. Starc seems to just float the ball up there. He doesn't seem to have the aggression of a Pattinson either.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
At least Boult looks like he's charging in to bowl as fast as his frame can let him. Starc seems to just float the ball up there. He doesn't seem to have the aggression of a Pattinson either.
Agree with regards to your first point - think he could run in with a bit more 'purpose' and have more of a leap (ala Zaheer) in his delivery stride.

Isn't your bowling ability basically your aggression though if you get my drift? Pattinson doesn't need to have a big confrontation to get scalps, so Starc shouldn't look down that route imo.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
The point about run-ups is bull****, running in faster doesn't equate to bowling faster. It's a rhythm thing. Unless you're accusing Jeff Thomson of not bowling with enough aggression? I can walk faster than that bloke ran in, wasn't exactly much comfort to the guy standing 22 yards away from him.

Last edited:

TumTum

Banned
Well Pattinson doesn't have the aggressive bowling his body language suggests.

He is much more accurate compared to Starc, but he just bowls the same stuff over and over again. He'll be awesome on pitches with movement, but on flat pitches he'll be made to look average just like Starc.

Both Patto and Starc need a good bouncer and in general just more variety. Starc also needs more control but the advantage he has over Patto is he has a killer inswinger which he can exploit on occasions.

Boult is the better bowler now but Starc has more potential if he could develop more skills.

TumTum

Banned
What's your definition of aggressive bowling though? Just hitting people on the lid?
IMO for a big fast bowler: When they can trouble batsmen with either vicious bouncers, yorkers/v. full deliveries or rushing the batsmen with pace.

Axe killer Patto only troubles batsmen with very good line/length balls atm, which is not a bad thing but I think he needs something more to become a really great bowler.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
@Albi

I have been watching him closely. His front side does not collapse but unlike other bowlers his top half of his body seems to fold over much sooner in his action. This means that he is not getting the full benefit of his height.

My other observation and I would love to see some stats on this but his arms look really long. So although he loses some height by bending over too quickly his long arms means he is still delivering it from a great height.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Starc is far more like Southee than Boult. Just like Southee, Starc has all the physical attributes to be a top bowler so it becomes a question of mastering the mental side of bowling, plus experience.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Having watched Starc today, I'm changing my vote. He's bigger and quicker than Boult, and he swings it both ways. Huge talent.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Lands it on the pitch once in a blue moon though.
Nah, he's been hitting the right areas with great consistency today. He's still inconsistent, but he'll iron out the wrinkles with time. Also thought he bowled well for poor reward in the first innings (although that's one area where I think Boult still has the edge over him).

Flem274*

123/5
Yeah I don't disagree that when he gets it right he is jizzworthy, but along with some of the most promising spells I've seen from an Aussie quick he's bowled some of the most hilariously bad spells I've seen from any quick his age.

It's not just his accuracy he struggles with. He needs to get street smart. But he still has ages left.

Poll needs at "they'll both be permanently injured at 27" option btw.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It's not just his accuracy he struggles with. He needs to get street smart. But he still has ages left.
Vomit. Methinks someone has been listening to far too much **** telecast commentary, Phlegm.

Such an awful, awful phrase to apply to cricket.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Watched almost every ball of a series with Morrison and McMillan commentating in it. It's not my fault!
It certainly explains it. Not many worse commentating cliches than using a phrase which in the context is an absolute vacuum of meaning of any sort whatsoever to fill a dead air gap. Street smarts and 'showing character' being the absolute worst of these phrases.

Flem274*

123/5
It certainly explains it. Not many worse commentating cliches than using a phrase which in the context is an absolute vacuum of meaning of any sort whatsoever to fill a dead air gap. Street smarts and 'showing character' being the absolute worst of these phrases.
Heef posting with intent. Really needs a post here. It's a big moment for HeefDavisSpeed.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah I don't disagree that when he gets it right he is jizzworthy, but along with some of the most promising spells I've seen from an Aussie quick he's bowled some of the most hilariously bad spells I've seen from any quick his age.
It's great that Boult has the accuracy and temperament of a bowler 5 years his senior, but it does make you wonder about how much more he's likely to improve. Starc on the other hand has all the tools to one day be a world-beater, and he looks like he's well on his way to getting there.

Still, we would've said the same thing about the other Mitch after the 09 tour of SA, and look how that turned out.

Flem274*

123/5
I think Boult's biggest obstacle is his back, and Starc's is what I said above. Been banging on about it all thread but it's a guessing game and this could go either way or even no ones way and Mitchell Johnson could be remembered more than either (even if for entertainment only).