• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Has Tim Southee "arrived"?

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Just something to balance out the doom and gloom

In the past 5 months Tim Southee has struck a wonderful vein of form. Since coming back into the side against the West Indies, Southee has taken 23 wickets in tests at 17.30 and 15 wickets in ODI's at 20.80. In hot and tiring conditions, he has been quick (often averaging around the 140 kph mark), accurate and has generated significant swing utilised with admirable control. He's even showed signs of developing an inswinger to complement his usual outswing style.

While he has largely been a disappointment to cricket fans over the past 4 and a half years, it is important to remember that Southee is still only 23, the kind of age at which most young quicks would only first be considered for international honours. His test average remains mediocre at 35, but this has fallen by nearly 10 runs since he was dropped from the side for poor form back in March.

So what do you think. Is Southee's current run a purple patch, that will fade away and see him return to being an occasionally devastating but usually ineffective trundler? Are his recent performances a sign that Southee is one of those unusual pace-bowlers that thrive in the sub-continent, but struggle in what most would think would be more supportive conditions? Or has he discovered the right mix to genuinely trouble even the best batsmen on all surfaces, and if so what could he be capable of in the coming years?

Last edited:

cnerd123

likes this
He's hitting his straps IMO. Give him a couple of years till he's the real deal.

Important to remember that on bad injury or slump of form could lead to him not reaching these peaks again. He needs to be well maintained now. Fitness wise and form wise.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Never been a fan of his action. It looks fairly cobbled together with the front arm not doing nearly as much. I wonder if he can sustain this sort of rhythm for long with it.

BackFootPunch

International 12th Man
He's discovered the mix of what works and what doesn't but I'm going to be pessimistic and suggest he'll have another 6-12 month period where he's ineffective before we can really lock him in as having made it.

I think by age 26 he'll have finally 'arrived' and will be our best bowler from there on out.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
IMO, he's the form pace bowler in the world right now, pending how well Steyn goes at the WACA.

But I still think he has a lot of work to do to guard against complacency. I think he needs to be constantly working on and maintaining his action to ensure that he keeps swinging the ball. He's much better at not being cannon fodder when it doesn't swing now than he was 6 months ago, but he's too good to just be content with that, because when he gets it right he's pretty unplayable. A couple of spells in the first test showed this - genuinely good batsman trying to defend and not attack (i.e. not Dilshan's dismissal in the second test) still could not prevent him from taking their wicket.

Aside from that, he will also have to contend with batsmen who will analyse the hell out of him to make him less effective. Sri Lanka sorta caught on to this when they made sure that they recognised his change-up off cutter in the second innings. He just has to make sure he's concealing his variations well and perhaps slowly adding to his arsenal.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
IMO, he's the form pace bowler in the world right now, pending how well Steyn goes at the WACA.
Pfft.

Anyway, he's basically done what I wanted him to do and knuckled down a bit. Certainly can't complain about his returns after looking insipid for quite some time. Long may it continue.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Some early posts about Southee while he was finding his feet. What I commented on was the need for him to develop his speed - he used to be 135 he can now crank it at 140 if he wants to. His intelligence - which is now a strength of his - he is a very intelligent bowler - and his off cutter which could probably still be improved but is better.

Really it is his intelligence that seems to have grown the most. In the following posts you will see that he used to follow up a good ball by trying to bowl another good ball to keep the pressure on. Now instead he seems to work to a plan and will bowl a variety of deliveries including a judicious bouncer.

25-10-2009
His intelligence and speed is what he needs to work on. I thought his swing was fine last time I saw him play.

I have memories of him bowling to mike hussey and every time he swung it into Mike hussey - hussey smiled and worked through midwicket for two.
19-03-2010
Originally Posted by Howsie
This is such a piss poor bowling line-up it isn't funny. Chris Martin's finished, Tim Southee hasn't improved in two years of international cricket and if anything he has gone backwards. Darryl Tuffey's been mid 120's all day, nuff said, and Brent Arnel has been steady but doesn't really look all that promising,

You really have problems when you play four seamers and the quickest one of the lot is 135K.
31-10-2010
Southee isn't a one trick pony (swing only). I was trying to remember if he could bring one back into the right hander off the seam and I don't think this is a strength of his. Arnel and Martin can nibble it off the seam both ways.

It has been a while since I have seen Southee bowl, but his off cutter is a possible area of improvement for him. He has plenty of time to perfect it.

Regardless of whether he is perfectly suited to these conditions Southee is our future and we need to be developing him. It is ok to lose this series if we continue to develop our inexperienced players
28-10-2010

What I like about Southee is that after he bowls a good ball - he just tries to bowl another one. He doesn't try to bowl the perfect delivery that starts on leg and hits off - he just tries to be consistently good.
Yeah, we need to be patient with Southee. I think he has a bit of x-factor. You never really know what you'll get at the moment, but on his day he can be deadly. It's just making him more consistent and confident. Same story with the bat really.

M0rphin3

International Debutant
Hopefully. Although tbf mostly had to bowl in harsh conditions even before - when was it when he looked utterly dire?

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Really rate him. Always thought he'd do well after the 2011 World Cup, where he showed an ability to reverse it at pace. Hope he can continue his progress.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Tim Southee? Should be Tim Northee.

He's arrived, needs to learn how to bowl in good bowling conditions though. :)

Inferno

Cricket Spectator
These arguments about conditions being helpful and non helpful conditions based on what country you are playing in are some of the weakest ever. I feel like most people that do that just sterotype rather than actually watching that series. Seriously just because pitches happened to be flat for one particular series doesn't mean its always going to be flat. Do people seriously believe that the Hobart pitch NZ won in last year was always green? If these pitches were so flat the ball wouldn't be doing so much. I am willing to bet the pitches NZ produced for SA last year were flatter than this. They certainly couldn't make the ball do so much in that series.

Not taking anything away from Southee he was awesome but these pitches weren't that flat. The pitches in which Aus vs SA series that's going on now those would be flat pitches.