• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Has Tim Southee "arrived"?

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
he kinda has been out and out gun though. averaging 24 for the last 2 years. 7 for in an innings against India, in India, which almost gave NZ a shot a test win there. Absolutely mauled Sri Lanka in Sri Lanka. 10 wicket haul at Lord's. Etc etc.

Spark

Global Moderator
I know, and it's a line-ball thing, but when you have two really good but really similar bowlers, sometimes you just have to go with your gut feel and for some reason I'd feel more secure with Anderson than Southee

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's almost as if bowling well against glorified minnows such as West Indies, Sri Lanka, Zimbabwe and India away from home is not a great measure of quality :-O

Daemon

It's almost as if bowling well against glorified minnows such as West Indies, Sri Lanka, Zimbabwe and India away from home is not a great measure of quality :-O
Junaid doesn't have that either.

What about his performances against India in India and England in England?

Last edited:

benchmark00

Measure of quality = watching someone bowl and thinking they have the tools to trouble class batsmen.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
I don't know if this has been mentioned, but their stats are remarkably similar:

JA ave 30.67 ER 3.10 SR 59.3
TS ave 30.69 ER 3.16 SR 58.2

Howsie

International Captain
He's the number two bowler in the world behind Dale Steyn, perhaps third with Mitch Johnson second.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
I don't know if this has been mentioned, but their stats are remarkably similar:

JA ave 30.67 ER 3.10 SR 59.3
TS ave 30.69 ER 3.16 SR 58.2
Career trajectories as well - crap to start with, before becoming better than anyone thought they ever could be.

He's the number two bowler in the world behind Dale Steyn, perhaps third with Mitch Johnson second.
Now this is just silly. And I say this as a guy who is at the point of supporting NZ just as much as his home country.

Flem274*

123/5
I don't get it, wtf is with people suddenly forgetting/underrating Philander?
I reckon a lot of it is indignation from a vocal minority. He's a fat little medium quick with a h4x record, so everyone is waiting for him to fail/can't wait for him to fail as a kind of "see, he's **** really" petty revenge because he doesn't fit the archetype of the world class quick. I reckon if we had a forum in McGrath's early days we would have seen the same sort of thing once he established himself after a slow start (McGrath was a very different bowler, but also a guy who would have been prone to being underrated early on).

I think the bloke is fantastic. Makes it look so simple.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
So what you're saying is Patto is terrible too then? Because two of his three best series were beating 2011 NZ up on green tops and beating India up in Australia.

Can't have it both ways. Should we exclude the NZ bowling in Hobart because they were bowling to 2011 Australia on a greenie?

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I reckon a lot of it is indignation from a vocal minority. He's a fat little medium quick with a h4x record, so everyone is waiting for him to fail/can't wait for him to fail as a kind of "see, he's **** really" petty revenge because he doesn't fit the archetype of the world class quick. I reckon if we had a forum in McGrath's early days we would have seen the same sort of thing once he established himself after a slow start.

I think the bloke is fantastic. Makes it look so simple.
I think it's also partly down to people having a reaction to his stats, which definitely flatter him as a bowler (in that they indicate he's the greatest bowler of the post-war era).

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
So what you're saying is Patto is terrible too then? Because two of his three best series were beating 2011 NZ up on green tops and beating India up in Australia.

Can't have it both ways. Should we exclude the NZ bowling in Hobart because they were bowling to 2011 Australia on a greenie?
you don't even need to resort to this argument, because England at home, India at home and Sri Lanka at home are not minnows, and guys like Pujara, Kohli, Sangakkarra, Trott, Prior, Pietersen etc weren't terrible batsmen when he ran through their sides.