Page 93 of 397 FirstFirst ... 43839192939495103143193 ... LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,395 of 5941

Thread: ***Official*** Sri Lanka in Australia 2012/2013

Apo
    School Boy/Girl Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by TumTum View Post
    One of the commentators said that it helps batsmen who are looking to survive, which I agree with.

Batsmen are more aware of protecting the straight balls from getting out LBW, when they are looking to defend. So they get their pads outside the line and make sure the bat is in-line, therefore the ball impacts in-line and it hits the bat, or it hits the pad and its outside the line.

Watching live this is not noticeable and umpires give them out, but with DRS it is very hard to get an out decision if the batsmen use this tactic.
    So you think decisions should favour bowlers if the batsmen are trying to survive by giving wrong decisions? In the same way DRS helps bowlers if batsmen try to bat outside the crease in case of LBWs. It works both ways, in the end it certainly balances out, I don't see neither batsmen or bowlers benefiting from DRS, Channel 9 commies were on their jingoistic trip as usual when we looked like we couldn't bowl out SL.

International Captain LongHopCassidy's Avatar
    IMO sides should only get one DRS call per innings instead of two. It was there to eliminate the howlers and nothing more; it ****s me to tears when batsmen call for referrals because of the match situation or how valuable their own wicket is.

Case in point was Siddle's hat-trick ball in the Ashes. Everyone knew Broad was stone dead - including Broad - and purely because he was the last batsman before the real tail he insisted it be referred. Which kind of pissed in my Cheerios, considering the occasion.
    "The Australian cricket captain is the Prime Minister Australia wishes it had. Steve Waugh is that man, Michael Clarke is not." - Jarrod Kimber

RIP Fardin Qayyumi and Craig Walsh - true icons of CricketWeb.

I hated listening to Mark Taylor on day 5 of the test. He went on and on about his DRS views (which I completely disagree with) all day.
    Andrew Symonds 143*

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Apo View Post
    So initially people said UDRS helps spinners because benefit of the doubt no longer goes to batsman esp. long stride etc. now people say UDRS helps batsmen because it's preventing umpires from giving wrong decisions. So where do people sit regarding UDRS at the end?
    Isn't that the whole point of it though?
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Only a bunch of convicts having been beaten 3-0 and gone 9 tests without a win and won just 1 in 11 against England could go into the home series saying they will win. England will win in Australia again this winter as they are a better side which they have shown this summer. 3-0 doesn't lie girls.

Wade admits issues with focusing for long periods

Will be sponsored by Ritalin on the morrow, IMO.

International Captain Pup Clarke's Avatar
    Wade needs more meat imo - obviously surviving on leaves.
    Proud member of the Twenty20 is boring society

E-Mail - liamhowgate@yahoo.co.uk
    MSN - liamhowgate@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by LongHopCassidy View Post
    It was there to eliminate the howlers and nothing more.
    This phrase (and the use of the word "howler") has become pretty cliche when talking about the UDRS, but is it actually true? When it was introduced was this the line used?

I don't really mind strategic use of the DRS, as long as it's only 2 decisions per innings.

It adds another element to the game and I think it draws in the crowd a little bit.

It needs to be very clear how it works on big screens though so laypeople can understand what's going on.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Sam View Post
    I hated listening to Mark Taylor on day 5 of the test. He went on and on about his DRS views (which I completely disagree with) all day.
    Me too, was really frustrating because noone was putting up the other side of the coin.

The one thing I would change is that if any part of the ball pitches in line with any part of the wickets it should be umpires call.

Quote Originally Posted by hendrix View Post
    Me too, was really frustrating because noone was putting up the other side of the coin.

The one thing I would change is that if any part of the ball pitches in line with any part of the wickets it should be umpires call.
    This might be a good idea. I can't say I'm a hundred percent comfortable with a decision being automatically overturned because it pitched 2mm outside leg - though it may be accurate and true to the spirit of the law, it's definitely not why the system is in place
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

get ready for a broken ****in' arm

Australia v Sri Lanka, 2nd Test, Melbourne : Michael Clarke predicts more bowling for Matthew Wade | Cricket News | Australia v Sri Lanka | ESPN Cricinfo

"There are some opening bowlers around the world who struggle to reach the 132kph Matt generated"
    What a captain.

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    This phrase (and the use of the word "howler") has become pretty cliche when talking about the UDRS, but is it actually true? When it was introduced was this the line used?
    Near enough. (Obligatory PDF warning)

Aim

To eliminate clear umpiring errors from Test cricket.
    Which is about as emphatic wording as you'll get from the ICC.

In all the press releases/interviewers with Dave Richardson (the guy in charge of implementing UDRS and I think that's his name) he makes it clear that it's for getting rid of howlers as well.

Malcolm Conn reckons Starc will be rested for the MCG test and brought back in for Sydney. Siddle, Johnson, Bird all to play.

Thread Information