• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Sri Lanka in Australia 2012/2013

uvelocity

International Coach
Top **** was clearly driven to cricket and made his poor cousin field for him while he sat in the shade and ate cake

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Correct.

Best Christmas present is news that Patto is back for the Odis against the little Sri Lankans.

Daemon

They need to shed more light on exactly how they determine the likelihood of an injury occurring. I mean I probably won't understand any of it, but at least it would help people trust the science behind these decisions.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Chamimda00 is right if he is talking about teenagers when he says young. Few years ago rules came in about how many in a row and how many in a day. Nanny state cotton wool stuff from the cradle to the grave. Also with burgey on wanting more details. Boonchmark is just blindly trusting here, lapping it up like a ***** does milk
Yeah I'm talking about the restrictions on young fast bowlers during their teen years, were they have limited spells and max overs per day. Regardless whether they are playing in National U19s championships or just the local park cricket.

It has created a how bunch of young fast bowlers who break down as soon as they hit the 20s. As they are expected to bowl 20 plus overs in day, after only 10 overs a day in their teens and having no bowling fitness.

You look around domestic cricket and there is barely any fast bowlers in their mid to late 20s pushing for state spots. That is mainly because so many fast bowlers break down in their early 20s. Once they are expected to actually bowl long spells, after barely bowling at all in their teens.

I agree you shouldn't have quick bowling 20 overs in a row in their teens. But they should be bowling enough where they are getting bowling fit, especially in high intensive youth games like U17 and U19 championships. So once they hit the 20s and in theory the bodies should be able to bowl at full pace and handle a multiple days of cricket. They are actually bowling fit enough to handle Test, FC cricket or grade cricket. Right now there is lots of young fast bowlers that can't even handle grade cricket for a full season.

Top_Cat

I agree you shouldn't have quick bowling 20 overs in a row in their teens. But they should be bowling enough where they are getting bowling fit, especially in high intensive youth games like U17 and U19 championships. So once they hit the 20s and in theory the bodies should be able to bowl at full pace and handle a multiple days of cricket. They are actually bowling fit enough to handle Test, FC cricket or grade cricket. Right now there is lots of young fast bowlers that can't even handle grade cricket for a full season.
Problem is that's never been remotely true and is even less true in the compressed schedules cricketers play in. Every quick since the history of ever has the most random assortment of injuries until they hit their mid 20's or so. The management of quicks today is all about making sure they're not hacks before their bodies settle down. Bruce Reid may well have not been an inevitability.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Anyone else had enough of talking about Australian selection policy?

Sri Lanka to play the same lineup? Welegedara, Kulasekara, Eranga, Herath with Matthews and Dilshan in support is quite frankly a terrible bowling line-up. Excusing all bias, I want Australia to score heavy against this lineup. Never a better chance for our fringe players like Cowan and Hughes to lock themselves in until the next Ashes.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Anyone else had enough of talking about Australian selection policy?

Sri Lanka to play the same lineup? Welegedara, Kulasekara, Eranga, Herath with Matthews and Dilshan in support is quite frankly a terrible bowling line-up.
There is noone else though.

A bit of turn for Herath and a bit of swing for Kulasekara and it'll look significantly better.

Still a pretty poor lineup.

howardj

International Coach
but seriously people complaining about the rotation system, what's your idea? are you like brett lee who goes on and on about 'cotton wool' but doesn't really offer any ideas about how to prevent injures aside how they train in the gym which he goes on and on about? or do you agree with dirk nannes in saying fast bowlers should just not bother until they're 24? it seems to me CA is attempting something akin to a sane solution but playing them when they're fit, and resting them when history tells them something bad could be about to happen. that to me is a lot better than not doing anything at all and saying "didn't see that coming!" when they get injured, or not letting them do anything at all.
What's cutting edge is managing guys so they're available to play every Test (like SA with Steyn, like England with Anderson)

I just think that Invers and Pat Howard think they're being cutting edge by trying to anticipate when guys will get injured

As evidenced by Hilf getting injured straight after a rest, and Watto the same at Allan Border field, sports science has its place, but should never of itself be determining team lineups

Burgey

What's cutting edge is managing guys so they're available to play every Test (like SA with Steyn, like England with Anderson)

I just think that Invers and Pat Howard think they're being cutting edge by trying to anticipate when guys will get injured

As evidenced by Hilf getting injured straight after a rest, and Watto the same at Allan Border field, sports science has its place, but should never of itself be determining team lineups
The post you quoted is further proof that Spikey and Murphy are the same person.

Loose Cannon

U19 Debutant
With Bird's debut we can expect a lot of punning. I figure we need to get out in front of these possible headlines.

Bird soars.
Bird ****s from great height.
Bird regurgitates big haul.
Bird scratches about.
Bird feathers nest.
Bird flies into propeller.
Bird caught in power lines.
Bird's wings clipped.
Bird plummets in pecking order.
Bird flies into newly washed window.
Bird brained
Bird goes big.
Early Bird catches worm.
Something about a feather in his cap.

Bird kills cricket.

Hope he goes OK, really don't want a double Mitchell attack in Sydney.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Problem is that's never been remotely true and is even less true in the compressed schedules cricketers play in. Every quick since the history of ever has the most random assortment of injuries until they hit their mid 20's or so. The management of quicks today is all about making sure they're not hacks before their bodies settle down. Bruce Reid may well have not been an inevitability.
Probably true, but the problem now is guys in their mid to late 20s are also going down with random injuries because they are never bowling fit. As they never bowl enough when they are younger, to get their bodies used to demands of bowling fast. It all good to promote the resting policy as allowing bowlers to be injury free when they get older. But simple facts are they are still getting consistent random injuries when they are older. It is not working to keep older bowlers on the park for extended periods.