• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Sri Lanka in Australia 2012/2013

Andre

International Regular
Is it just me or are we almost giving away baggy greens these days? No disrespect to Bird, his numbers are terrific, but it used to seem a lot harder to get into the Test side than it is now.

And stuff this resting thing btw, that's what ODI's are for. Test cricket means you pick your best 11 at all times, regardless. What a load of absolute crock this sports science crap is. Never seen anyone get fit by not bowling.

Andre

International Regular
Well, not having a line-up stacked with ATGs means you do have to start picking normal humans
Yeah you've kinda missed the point. Even though you pick normal humans, they still should be working really hard and banging the door down over a few seasons for a game.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Ideally, yes, but there's evidently a bit of a missing generation - there's not really any untested 25-30 year olds with substantial successful FC careers to call on anymore so selectors are getting drawn towards players with excellent but short careers.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah you've kinda missed the point. Even though you pick normal humans, they still should be working really hard and banging the door down over a few seasons for a game.
To be fair, Bird's done exactly that. 87 wickets over two seasons averaging under 20 is as good as you can hope for. It's the batsmen who are getting a gig after only one or two decent seasons.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Ideally, yes, but there's evidently a bit of a missing generation - there's not really any untested 25-30 year olds with substantial successful FC careers to call on anymore so selectors are getting drawn towards players with excellent but short careers.
Well there is Luke Butterworth but that would go against the policy you need to bowl 140km/h to play for Australia.

Or you could give another chance to likes of Doug Bollinger, John Hastings or Clint McKay. Dougie would break the one left armer rule and the other two would break the 140km/h rule.

The unwritten rules about workload, variety and pace are what is creating the selection issues for Australia. Not the lack of option.

Andre

International Regular
To be fair, Bird's done exactly that. 87 wickets over two seasons averaging under 20 is as good as you can hope for. It's the batsmen who are getting a gig after only one or two decent seasons.
Yeah Bird I've got no issue with - ideally I'd have liked him a year longer but he has demanded selection. So my post wasn't so much towards him as it is guys like Khawaja, Hazlewood, Hastings etc.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah Bird I've got no issue with - ideally I'd have liked him a year longer but he has demanded selection. So my post wasn't so much towards him as it is guys like Khawaja, Hazlewood, Hastings etc.
Hasting and Khawaja are more proven then Bird in FC cricket. Bird has only played 17 FC matches, Hastings 26 and Khawaja 60.

Hazlewood yes, he would be a unproven player picked on potential only. But the other three has a couple seasons of runs and wickets at FC level and have out performed other options with similar experience.

I just think the expectations for the performances prior to selection are too high due to fact that a decade ago, guys had to play 10 seasons of FC cricket before they got into the side. The performance of the likes of Bird, Hastings and Khawaja is status quo for all other Test nations.

howardj

International Coach
Hate how Aus think that resting guys is being cutting edge

On the contrary, managing guys so they play every Test (like SA do with Steyn)...that's being cutting edge

howardj

International Coach
Invers:

''I don't know why it takes people so long to get their head around it. It's an integral part of AFL football, [Carlton AFL star] Chris Judd plays 78 or 82 per cent of the game. He blitzes it for seven or eight minutes, then he comes off for three minutes. I don't see the difference"

lol

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Invers:

''I don't know why it takes people so long to get their head around it. It's an integral part of AFL football, [Carlton AFL star] Chris Judd plays 78 or 82 per cent of the game. He blitzes it for seven or eight minutes, then he comes off for three minutes. I don't see the difference"

lol
He completely Cenvo'd that.

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
Invers:

lol
I literally slapped my head when I read that. How about because football and cricket are not equivalent dip ****. 22 rounds of football not including pre and post season is not the same as 12 ( 6 home and 6 away?) tests a year. An EPL team like Man Utd can play 50 games a year so thats not the same either. And this is the guy in charge? 8-)

burr

State Vice-Captain
Is it just me or are we almost giving away baggy greens these days? No disrespect to Bird, his numbers are terrific, but it used to seem a lot harder to get into the Test side than it is now.

And stuff this resting thing btw, that's what ODI's are for. Test cricket means you pick your best 11 at all times, regardless. What a load of absolute crock this sports science crap is. Never seen anyone get fit by not bowling.
YES. I am so angry over this resting rubbish. The Australian Baggy Green has to be earned. Really, we have completely lost our way. This is one of the darkest periods in Aus cricket history.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
the baggy green is just a green hat that poorly protects one's face and neck. it's worth as much as jono

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
like i'm cool with giving jackson bird that silly hat if the doctors are saying there's a serious chance starc may be close to a serious injury.