• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Sri Lanka in Australia 2012/2013

DriveClub

International Regular
One of the commentators said that it helps batsmen who are looking to survive, which I agree with.

Batsmen are more aware of protecting the straight balls from getting out LBW, when they are looking to defend. So they get their pads outside the line and make sure the bat is in-line, therefore the ball impacts in-line and it hits the bat, or it hits the pad and its outside the line.

Watching live this is not noticeable and umpires give them out, but with DRS it is very hard to get an out decision if the batsmen use this tactic.
So you think decisions should favour bowlers if the batsmen are trying to survive by giving wrong decisions? In the same way DRS helps bowlers if batsmen try to bat outside the crease in case of LBWs. It works both ways, in the end it certainly balances out, I don't see neither batsmen or bowlers benefiting from DRS, Channel 9 commies were on their jingoistic trip as usual when we looked like we couldn't bowl out SL.

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
IMO sides should only get one DRS call per innings instead of two. It was there to eliminate the howlers and nothing more; it ****s me to tears when batsmen call for referrals because of the match situation or how valuable their own wicket is.

Case in point was Siddle's hat-trick ball in the Ashes. Everyone knew Broad was stone dead - including Broad - and purely because he was the last batsman before the real tail he insisted it be referred. Which kind of pissed in my Cheerios, considering the occasion.

Crazy Sam

International 12th Man
I hated listening to Mark Taylor on day 5 of the test. He went on and on about his DRS views (which I completely disagree with) all day.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
So initially people said UDRS helps spinners because benefit of the doubt no longer goes to batsman esp. long stride etc. now people say UDRS helps batsmen because it's preventing umpires from giving wrong decisions. So where do people sit regarding UDRS at the end?
Isn't that the whole point of it though?

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I don't really mind strategic use of the DRS, as long as it's only 2 decisions per innings.

It adds another element to the game and I think it draws in the crowd a little bit.

It needs to be very clear how it works on big screens though so laypeople can understand what's going on.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I hated listening to Mark Taylor on day 5 of the test. He went on and on about his DRS views (which I completely disagree with) all day.
Me too, was really frustrating because noone was putting up the other side of the coin.

The one thing I would change is that if any part of the ball pitches in line with any part of the wickets it should be umpires call.

Spark

Global Moderator
Me too, was really frustrating because noone was putting up the other side of the coin.

The one thing I would change is that if any part of the ball pitches in line with any part of the wickets it should be umpires call.
This might be a good idea. I can't say I'm a hundred percent comfortable with a decision being automatically overturned because it pitched 2mm outside leg - though it may be accurate and true to the spirit of the law, it's definitely not why the system is in place

Spark

Global Moderator
In all the press releases/interviewers with Dave Richardson (the guy in charge of implementing UDRS and I think that's his name) he makes it clear that it's for getting rid of howlers as well.

Crazy Sam

International 12th Man
Malcolm Conn reckons Starc will be rested for the MCG test and brought back in for Sydney. Siddle, Johnson, Bird all to play.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
FFS. Seriously Starc rested? He is resting right now, lets try and win the series first before giving any tom dick or johnson a game.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
When are we going to learn re: Johnson? How many spells of short and wide **** does he have to bowl to be black listed?

I blame Dennis Lillee.

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
I don't like this rest policy either. I hope Siddle and Lyon are ready to bowl a lot. With Bird on debut and Johnson in the team they might be busy. Johnson did look more accurate in Perth but it was at a the cost of his pace which was the only reason he used to get wickets anyway.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year