Page 49 of 397 FirstFirst ... 3947484950515999149 ... LastLast

Thread: ***Official*** Sri Lanka in Australia 2012/2013

Quote Originally Posted by Spikey View Post
    when are we gonna start discussing which seamer to pick in the boxing day squad

#dougeh
    I'll back em to pick ncn. be him, bird or cutting you'd say? and play johnson anyway
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I just love all kinds of balls.

International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    That is an impressive stat but not surprising given the players you have had over the majority of those 20 years. I think allowances would be made given the amount of injuries to bowlers and the fact you did play the best side around in 3 of the games.

Must be something that needs looking at though the amount of injuries your bowlers keep picking up.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by quincywagstaff View Post
    And I think Wade's hold on the keeper's spot is fairly tenuous at present. It's not just that he missed another stumping, but the way he looks overall. He often seems to struggle to take throws from the deep on the bounce with any ease for example. Overall, he seems to lack real authority in his role and if that continues, the selectors may look elsewhere for the India tour.
    Honestly, unless he descends to Kamran Akmal level poor with the gloves, I can't see the selectors dumping him as long as he's contributing with the bat. Given that he's still young (turns 25 on Boxing Day), I reckon they'll stick with him in the hopes that his keeping will improve - which you'd expect it to do, mind you. Gilchrist, Healy and Marsh all improved greatly over their careers with the gloves and I suppose the selectors' view is that a couple of missed chances here and there is worth the investment.
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Only a bunch of convicts having been beaten 3-0 and gone 9 tests without a win and won just 1 in 11 against England could go into the home series saying they will win. England will win in Australia again this winter as they are a better side which they have shown this summer. 3-0 doesn't lie girls.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by uvelocity View Post
    I'll back em to pick ncn. be him, bird or cutting you'd say? and play johnson anyway
    i see three groups

the guys with good stats but
    bird, cutting, butterworth, hastings, faulkner etc

poni's
    ncn, mcd jr (still playing one game/missing one game. not in contention then probably?). and then....well I guess all the poni's are dead.

the rest, led by
    bollinger (1st time he's really been fit, like not-injured-and-has-played-a-month-or-two-of-cricket since the new panel took over. who knows what their position will be) putland & feldman

(from what I've seen of putland and feldman, they don't really deserve the but tag. pews to confirm/deny.)
    Indians can't bowl - Where has the rumour come from as I myself and many indian friends arwe competent fast bowlers ?

With the English bid I said: Let us be brief. If you give back the Falkland Islands, which belong to us, you will get my vote. They then became sad and left

Quote Originally Posted by andyc View Post
    Honestly, unless he descends to Kamran Akmal level poor with the gloves, I can't see the selectors dumping him as long as he's contributing with the bat. Given that he's still young (turns 25 on Boxing Day), I reckon they'll stick with him in the hopes that his keeping will improve - which you'd expect it to do, mind you. Gilchrist, Healy and Marsh all improved greatly over their careers with the gloves and I suppose the selectors' view is that a couple of missed chances here and there is worth the investment.
    CA does love Tim Paine though. If Paine actually manages to hit a few consecutive fifties in Shield cricket (was going to say a ton, but you know..) then the pressure will mount IMO. Obviously there's no Shield cricket at the moment and I reckon Wade will be getting this series regardless, but never underestimate how highly Paine is rated by those who matter, justifiably or not.
    ~ Cribbage

International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Looks a similar standard to what Prior was for us when he first got picked. Needs to improve and surely will as long as he puts the effort in. Can certainly bat a bit.

This is a pretty weird spot though. I mean, we've got two Ashes series' in the next 12 months. And the guy who Wade got the spot from is actually still playing, is in ripping form, and there's good reason to believe he would be better than wade. and yeah add paine and all that. precedence might not count for much here

International Vice-Captain centurymaker's Avatar
    what a pool of seam bowlers australia have got-

Pattingson
    Cummings
    Siddle
    Hilfy
    Harris
    Starc
    Johnson
    hazlewood
    Bollinger
    Cutting
    Hastings
    Faulkner
    Copeland
    and so on...

compare that to one of ind or sl

and i forgot about the guys who particularly do well in the limited overs
    Last edited by centurymaker; 16-12-2012 at 06:55 AM.
    Proud Supporter of All Blacks

i see three groups

poni's
    ncn, mcd jr (still playing one game/missing one game. not in contention then probably?). and then....well I guess all the poni's are dead.

the rest, led by
    bollinger (1st time he's really been fit, like not-injured-and-has-played-a-month-or-two-of-cricket since the new panel took over. who knows what their position will be) putland & feldman

(from what I've seen of putland and feldman, they don't really deserve the but tag. pews to confirm/deny.)
    Confirmed ftr.

Putland definitely has some fans in administration and commentary but that's more in terms of SACA than CA; I don't think he's on the radar and I definitely won't call him a PONI but he certainly does look a more threatening bowler now that he's put on a little bit more pace.

Feldman's an interesting one in that CA don't seem too bothered about McDermott being left out for him (they've intervened in NSW/Victoria affairs as we know) even though McDermott played for Australia A and has even been in Australian LO squads - that made me think Feldman was being looked at too. Then Gannon started playing ahead of McDermott though and it kind of put that theory to rest.

You left Cutting in the first group too which I found interesting. I don't rate Cutting at all as you know but he's a young bowler having a good Shield season who has been in the Australian squad before. Bowling pies on TV all the time counts against him I guess but he'd be in the mix somewhere, direly enough.
    Last edited by Prince EWS; 16-12-2012 at 07:02 AM.

i see three groups

poni's

the rest, led by

i think they would have picked dougeh ahead of john wayne if they thought he was still alive. junior burger cant be in the frame. ncn or bird imo, neither are the worst anyway. ncn's batting to tip it in his favour

think they will stick with wade like others said while his batting is going well. haddin's keeping went to crap for a while before he had to step aside, but it was the runs that put the most pressure on him I think rightly or wrongly

Cricketer Of The Year SirBloody Idiot's Avatar
    Ok what does PONI stand for?

Putrid or Nearly Invincible?
    Project on Nuclear Issues?
    Penis of Nine Inches?

Quote Originally Posted by SirBloody Idiot View Post
    Ok what does PONI stand for?

Putrid or Nearly Invincible?
    Project on Nuclear Issues?
    Penis of Nine Inches?
    Player of National Interest

Bird must have gained brownie points from putting on a few kms. Was hitting 140 recently.
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

get ready for a broken ****in' arm

Cricket Web Staff Member
    Back on Wade, after this series is a tour for India and I think most would agree that that's a much tougher challenge for keepers than any ground in Australia is. If he's struggling to keep to spin in Oz, how's he going to handle it there?

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post

Feldman's an interesting one in that CA don't seem too bothered about McDermott being left out for him (they've intervened in NSW/Victoria affairs as we know) even though McDermott played for Australia A and has even been in Australian LO squads - that made me think Feldman was being looked at too. Then Gannon started playing ahead of McDermott though and it kind of put that theory to rest.
    Feldman actually made his List A debut for Australia A. Whether that was a case of injury striking and him being the closest player, I don't know. but that was itstl when I saw it the other day. His current Mo def. gives him something the others don't have

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    You left Cutting in the first group too which I found interesting. I don't rate Cutting at all as you know he's a young bowler having a good Shield season who has been in the Australian squad before. Bowling pies on TV all the time counts against him I guess but he'd be in the mix somewhere, direly enough.
    well it's a different but compared to butterworth etc, but I don't think it's too out-of-line to place him in with the rest of the people in the group. I would have put Herrick in there too, ftr

Thread Information