Page 345 of 397 FirstFirst ... 245295335343344345346347355395 ... LastLast
Results 5,161 to 5,175 of 5941

Thread: ***Official*** Sri Lanka in Australia 2012/2013

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Call me old fashioned, but Watson's bowling has been what has kept him in the Test side the last 18 months - if he wants to open the batting, he should go back to Shield and make some scores. No way should he be ahead of Warner/Cowan/Hughes just cause he says he doesn't want to bowl anymore. Just becomes one of the pack as a batsman.
    I think all that has been taken out of context a bit. Quite an insightful interview about it on Inside Cricket last week. He's given up bowling - for now - in order to focus on his batting and get some consistent cricket under his belt. He does prefer opening - he's stated that as his preference - but he's not given up bowling so he can open, and he's not demanding the position. If he gets picked to bat at 4 again, or 6, or whatever, then he's happy to do that. While his batting output in the last 18 months hasn't really been acceptable, I'm still pretty convinced he's one of Australia's best six batsmen, so I'd just be leaving him at four personally; it's where he fits best for now. Six is up for grabs.
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

Quote Originally Posted by the big bambino View Post
    I hope that scotches the Bailey for president campaign. Honestly the guy is slow, gettin' on and for someone who supposedly has a spiritual understanding of his game has a few too many brain explosions.
    nah

we need sloane stephens in at 6, play a few forehands etc

Quote Originally Posted by Marcuss View Post
    When does it stop being a fluke? Has a damn good record itbt.
    When he starts taking them by bowling well.
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

get ready for a broken ****in' arm

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    I think all that has been taken out of context a bit. Quite an insightful interview about it on Inside Cricket last week. He's given up bowling - for now - in order to focus on his batting and get some consistent cricket under his belt. He does prefer opening - he's stated that as his preference - but he's not given up bowling so he can open, and he's not demanding the position. If he gets picked to bat at 4 again, or 6, or whatever, then he's happy to do that. While his batting output in the last 18 months hasn't really been acceptable, I'm still pretty convinced he's one of Australia's best six batsmen, so I'd just be leaving him at four personally; it's where he fits best for now. Six is up for grabs.
    Yeah I'm not much of a Watson fan - reckon he is an absolute pea heart to be honest - so his career has pretty much struck me all the way along of him doing whatever is convenient for him at the time. Made an absolute song and dance about not giving up bowling because we needed an allrounder, got a gig because of it, started to struggle with the bat a bit and picked up a few niggles and now not going to bowl because it harms his batting. Dare say if he was scoring runs he'd more than happily bowl.

To pinch a phrase I've enjoyed from here - the bloke is a massive downhill skiier.

"Cricketer saying and doing things that will most help them get selected" is hardly a stunning indictment tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    "Cricketer saying and doing things that will most help them get selected" is hardly a stunning indictment tbh.
    Yeah but probably not as common as 'I will do what's best for the team', which I always struggle to believe when Watson mumbles it.

School Boy/Girl Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    If Watson wants to bat 4 in test he has to start scoring big runs.Your top 4 should comprise of batters who can go big.Watson doesn"t.I"ve never advocateD for Watson in the top 4 let alone opening and I haven"t seen anything yet that will convince me otherwise.That"s coming from a big Watson supporter btw.

International Debutant
    Quote Originally Posted by ajdude View Post
    nah

we need sloane stephens in at 6, play a few forehands etc
    How did she go?

Problem with Watson is that his versatility has given selectors the excuse to move him about to cover for the team's deficiencies elsewhere. Been justifiable in the circumstances I suppose but he could use a definite role now. I kind of think his attitude to bowling has been made in light of his fitness history as well as his recent bad run. You'd think that the no. of overs he bowled in Hobart would be exceptional and that he should be slotted back in at 6 and bowling again.

chappell is annoying the **** out of me

I thought what he said on Inside Cricket all seemed very reasonable. He can't get any rhythm or form into his batting at the moment because he keeps getting injured bowling and missing matches, so he's putting his bowling on the back burner for a while so he can actually cement his spot as a batsman.

Quote Originally Posted by the big bambino View Post
    How did she go?
    won in 3 sets

International Debutant
    Woo hoo!

At what stage does this innings fall into the "too ****ing slow" category without an acceleration?

At what stage does this innings fall into the "too ****ing slow" category without an acceleration?
    It wont happen. Giving the likes of Maxwell and Henriques in particular less overs will enable them to bat with freedom. I still think 260 is on the cards.
    NRL Tipping Champion 2014

I think if you get to 15 overs left with 7 wickets left in hand you go from there. Malinga still has 5 left so it's not going to be easy.

Thread Information