• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Sri Lanka in Australia 2012/2013

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hughes is in the process of completely re-working his technique, and I'd much rather he did that in domestic cricket than at Test level. We already recalled him once mid-adjustment all it did was confuse the living **** out of him. If he's happy with the changes he's made and confident in taking them in Test cricket already then fair enough but I don't think that's really the case yet. I'm still confident he'll end up a very good Test player but having him bat three or four with a semi-adjusted technique isn't a great idea at this point IMO.

he seems to be much advanced this time though. like, almost in the 'this is done, now let's test drive' stage. but i could be wrong. i'm not sure how i could prove i was right

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
he seems to be much advanced this time though. like, almost in the 'this is done, now let's test drive' stage. but i could be wrong. i'm not sure how i could prove i was right
It's difficult for me to make a call on it without actually talking to him about it or at least watching him bat more in the Shield than I have this season. If he reckons he's got his 'new' technique sorted and that he's ready for Tests again then I'm prepared to back that, but I don't want a repeat of what we did to him last time so it's a big if.

benchmark00

The Prince's leg side play has certainly improved 800%. Has a pull shot now, so that makes up 790% of the improvement.

Spikey

not a surprise the prince is pulling more now that he lives in south australia

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
The Prince's leg side play has certainly improved 800%. Has a pull shot now, so that makes up 790% of the improvement.
I'm much more worried about him edging outside off than I am about him being tied down on the leg side itbt, although obviously the fact that he's scoring runs on the leg side suggests he's more balanced at the crease now.

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
It's difficult for me to make a call on it without actually talking to him about it or at least watching him bat more in the Shield than I have this season. If he reckons he's got his 'new' technique sorted and that he's ready for Tests again then I'm prepared to back that, but I don't want a repeat of what we did to him last time so it's a big if.
Asked Jesse Hogan today about it, apparently MCG he was leaving balls much better in the corridor. Which is good, because it'd suggest he'd located his offstump with his new technique.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I would probably pick

1. Ed Cowan
2. David Warner
3. Usman Khawaja
4. Shane Watson
5. Michael Clarke
6. Michael Hussey
7. Matthew Wade
8. Peter Siddle
9. Mitchell Starc
10. Nathan Lyon
11. Ben Hilfenhaus

But I'm not confident that the selectors will want to move Watson again and I'm scared that they'll want Johnson to remain in the team. Reckon personally Starc will work well in combination with Sid and Hilf.

SL are going to be challenging - Hobart probably not the best venue for them, but they should do well in Melbourne and Sydney.

benchmark00

I would probably pick

1. Ed Cowan
2. David Warner
3. Usman Khawaja
4. Shane Watson
5. Michael Clarke
6. Michael Hussey
7. Matthew Wade
8. Peter Siddle
9. Mitchell Starc
10. Nathan Lyon
11. Ben Hilfenhaus

But I'm not confident that the selectors will want to move Watson again and I'm scared that they'll want Johnson to remain in the team. Reckon personally Starc will work well in combination with Sid and Hilf.

SL are going to be challenging - Hobart probably not the best venue for them, but they should do well in Melbourne and Sydney.
I agree.

morgieb

I would probably pick

1. Ed Cowan
2. David Warner
3. Usman Khawaja
4. Shane Watson
5. Michael Clarke
6. Michael Hussey
7. Matthew Wade
8. Peter Siddle
9. Mitchell Starc
10. Nathan Lyon
11. Ben Hilfenhaus

Really? I doubt they have bowling.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I would probably pick

1. Ed Cowan
2. David Warner
3. Usman Khawaja
4. Shane Watson
5. Michael Clarke
6. Michael Hussey
7. Matthew Wade
8. Peter Siddle
9. Mitchell Starc
10. Nathan Lyon
11. Ben Hilfenhaus

I'd take Johnson ahead of Starc based on the way they bowled in Perth.

I think SL will get smashed. I can't seem them bowling Aus out except in Sydney if Herath gets going. Hussey is going to have a field day.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Really? I doubt they have bowling.

The Australian team currently struggle to take 20 wickets and with Kumar and Mahela they've got a few experienced bats who as I said will be challenging. Quick bowling is SL's weakness, but our top order is brittle and seeing us play Peterson so poorly doesn't give me confidence against Herath. Having said we should still win the series.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
The Australian team currently struggle to take 20 wickets and with Kumar and Mahela they've got a few experienced bats who as I said will be challenging. Quick bowling is SL's weakness, but our top order is brittle and seeing us play Peterson so poorly doesn't give me confidence against Herath. Having said we should still win the series.
Mahela is class but doesn't have a good track record over here. I suspect he will hurt us once or twice, but not dominate as much as he has done at home. Sangakkara has me scared, though. I reckon we'll be bowling SL out around him.

Even our top order should be able to handle the SL pacers - I reckon Warner could be in for an aggressive, big ton against them at some point, and Cowan should be able to do his job against SL better than against RSA. I hold out no hope for Watson or the Ponting replacement, TBH.

Clarke and Muss and Wade should be fine.

Jackson Bird should replace Johnson, IMO, and obviously bring back Siddle for Hastings. Hold on to Starc, I reckon he can do something against SL, even if he is expensive again.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
If Mahela hurts us once or twice in a 3 test series, I think its fair to say SL will be a challenge.

I wouldn't mind Bird debuting at Hobart, kick in the guts for Hilf but not a bad idea at all to see what he has to offer. You'd feel bad for Hazlewood though if Bird suddenly got ahead of him too.

Any idea on what the squad will be announced? Are news on what Test players are playing/resting from BBL?

uvelocity

International Coach
I cringe at the comments aimed at Clarke if he doesn't move up, whether its the right thing to do or not

Justo

U19 Debutant
The only reason we've struggled to take 20 wickets this series are due to situations out of our control. If a full day isn't washed out at the Gabba and Pattinson doesn't break down at Adelaide we most likely win both matches comfortably. The reality is that South Africa only truly dominated us in one innings this tour. This innings was also against our second(and probably actually third) string bowling attack which even still managed to collapse their batting lineup the innings before. When you consider the strength of their batting lineup(genuine batsmen all the way to 7 as well as having several of the best batsmen in the world) combined with the flatness of the pitches this series I'd say that we did alot better than expected.

The only real concern for the bowling IMO is Hilfenhaus's inneffectiveness. Otherwise though we've still got plenty of options(hopefully none of them being Hastings) provided the right players are selected.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
If SL fast bowling not going to pose challenges we will get walloped. I have faith in Eranga to deliver some telling blows, especially if Aussies under estimate him