• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Sri Lanka in Australia 2012/2013

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
stu macgill stu macgill ‏@scgmacgill

right up front- I'm on the SCG trust, so I'm far from impartial. BUT- CA/CNSW are only offering 2:1 tix at T20 coz they've sold so few

stu macgill ‏@scgmacgill

@scgmacgill Absolutely nothing to do with last night's match being called off due to poor weather. desperate attempt to boost ticket sales

boom

Stapel

International Regular
unsafe. the outfield didn't dry = slippery = unsafe
Kmmmmmm:
cricinfo said:
Jayawardene said his team would write formally to the ICC match referee, Javagal Srinath, seeking an explanation for an inconsistency in rulings from one series to the next. Srinath had explained that play would not resume because he and the umpires Paul Reiffel and Marais Erasmus felt conditions were unfair, whereas in Sri Lanka the match referee, Andy Pycroft, had said play would only be stopped if deemed unsafe.
Makes one wonder.....

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Yeah I think it was a complete farce, If Australia were in Sri Lanka's position I don't for a minute think that the game wouldn't have went ahead with a reduced chase.

SL deserve to have this series in the bag, not having to win the final game to win the series.

howardj

International Coach
I'm with you to some extent on the Test 'rotation' but there is way too much cricket played to not rest blokes from ODIs. You're getting kidding yourself if you think otherwise. If Clarke got injured playing five ODIs against Sri Lanka and then had to miss Tests against India it'd be absolutely absurd.
Geez I am a dinosaur for thinking that, when you are ranked 4th in the world, guys should play in live rubbers at the peak of Summer.

You, by contrast, are so cutting edge for thinking they should be rested. You are really on the razor's edge mate.

I think we have seen where pulling blokes in and pulling blokes out has gotten us

So cutting edge, you are

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Geez I am a dinosaur for thinking that, when you are ranked 4th in the world, guys should play in live rubbers at the peak of Summer.

You, by contrast, are so cutting edge for thinking they should be rested. You are really on the razor's edge mate.

I think we have seen where pulling blokes in and pulling blokes out has gotten us

So cutting edge, you are
Do you want to see Michael Clarke playing two contextless ODIs or a full Test series in India?

Not trying to be 'cutting edge' so much as prioritising Test cricket. No sense having players go down with preventable injuries in the lead up to India and back-to-back Ashes series.

If Clarke played 2 more games on his semi-injured hamstring and then broke down in the first Test, everyone would riot for him not being rested before hand. And rightfully so, it would be utterly ridiculous. No sense in risking injury for our top players ahead of such a big 12 months of cricket.

Spark

Global Moderator
To be playing Clarke in the first two ODIs would have been an utter, unforgivable travesty given the schedule we have and the fact that we and everyone else knew that he was carrying a hamstring injury that he has had before and which has put him out of entire series because we rushed him back.

I would sooner rest the entire XI for an entire home ODI series than put our most important players at risk at the top of a year where we play the three of the most important series for any Australian team.

Last edited:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
What they stuffed up was pulling three cogs of what seems to be the preferred top 7 out at the same time.

Warner should have played the first two while Clarke rested, and then gotten his rest.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator

So cutting edge, you are
I'm not trying to be cutting edge at all. I hate the idea of genuine rotation in Test matches - even the young bowlers tbh. But the fact of the matter is that Australia have too much cricket scheduled, so if we don't want players burnt out or injured for the Tests then we'll need to rest them from ODIs sometimes. This isn't even a new thing; resting and rotation in "live" ODIs has been happening for years, and the selectors stopped really caring about the actual results of these series years ago.

Philhughesisbes

School Boy/Girl Captain
How the hell did Doherty get picked ahead of Beer.My 20 20 team.

1.Warner
2.Finch
3.Marsh
4.Dussey ( I rate him as our best 20 20 player but please keep him far from the test team).
5.Bailey
6.Maxwell
7.Faulkner
8.Cutting
9.Starc
10.Laughlin(would be Hazelwood if he was fit and inform)
11.Beer

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
stu macgill stu macgill ‏@scgmacgill

right up front- I'm on the SCG trust, so I'm far from impartial. BUT- CA/CNSW are only offering 2:1 tix at T20 coz they've sold so few

stu macgill ‏@scgmacgill

@scgmacgill Absolutely nothing to do with last night's match being called off due to poor weather. desperate attempt to boost ticket sales

boom
Crowds not giving a **** when team doesn't give a **** shocker!

And that is not a pro or anti rotation comment. Its just obvious this summer's limited overs schedule is meaningless except for everyone except for the touring teams (SL and WI).

I mean Sangakkara says his highlight was winning the 3 match ODI series vs. Australia a few years back... soooo :mellow:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Why didn't they go back to the Tri-Series after it was in last year?

It also helps them with their rotation excuse, as they can rotate throughout the series and then have best side for finals, assuming they make it.