• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Sri Lanka in Australia 2012/2013

uvelocity

International Coach
oh I wasn't actually responding to you, wasn't having a shot at your post. we had a bad day, but didn't set any unwanted records, didn''t lose any silverware, nobody died, would rather have the bad day in that match than most others all through the year so whatevs

the big bambino

International Captain
oh I wasn't actually responding to you, wasn't having a shot at your post. we had a bad day, but didn't set any unwanted records, didn''t lose any silverware, nobody died, would rather have the bad day in that match than most others all through the year so whatevs
True its not the most important match of the year but it would still be good to have played better. The trouble is the trend this match seems to be adding to which suggests our batting will be no hope to meet the important challenges ahead. To think our team, with all its faults, recently jousted with SA for no.1 in the world.

Valer

First Class Debutant
Dunno as someone who was actually at the ground and paid for tickets -- yes I actually watch cricket. I don't think it was a bad as people are making out. There really was a LOT of movement. The breeze was also non trivial at times. As others have pointed out it was a chance a minute kind of game and we would have *won* had we held onto our chances. For all the batting faults it was great to see the bowling. I feel however I was the exception rather than the norm in the crowd.

aussie tragic

International Captain
Australia just slipped to 5th in the rankings with that loss.

Aus will need to win both remaining matches to take 4th back from Sri Lanka

....and if SL win series 3-2, Australia will have to beat WI 4-1 to take back 4th

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
It doesnt suggest good things about our batters being able to deal with swing but in a test match you can afford to be more cautious in your shot selection than you generally are in a 1 dayer. Got to think Clarke and Hughes would have player different shots in a test to those deliveries. There were some top deliveries though.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I didn't get to watch a single ball of yesterday's match but just saw the news wrap now - With Bailey's LBW where was the ball hitting? It looked like it pitched outside off and could have been clipping the top of the bails or going over. Am I right in thinking that if he had of played a shot it would have been not out as it pitched outside off?

Spark

Global Moderator
I didn't get to watch a single ball of yesterday's match but just saw the news wrap now - With Bailey's LBW where was the ball hitting? It looked like it pitched outside off and could have been clipping the top of the bails or going over. Am I right in thinking that if he had of played a shot it would have been not out as it pitched outside off?
Would've smashed into middle and off. Hit well outside the line, though.

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah look that ball swung a mile. I can forgive him for leaving a delivery on that line given it was his first nut.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah but by the same token he'd be well aware of what Kula's MO is. It's just interesting that it seems these days any time there's a hint of movement around, the Aussie bats don't just struggle but don't even look like they know how to keep it out. Good spell by SL's bowling unit but I doubt I doubt their opposition is unaware that swing bowling is a big problem for this batting unit.

The scorecard would suggest unplayable bowling and it just wasn't so.

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah indeed. If it was, say, tenth ball and he'd had a chance to have a look what the ball was doing, then that'd be a different matter but on the first nut, I'd just say "well played" to the bowler and move on.

aussie tragic

International Captain
Jackson Bird called up as cover. Cover for who?

Or maybe they're going to bat Johnson at #7 again, because obviously we have enough batting at 1-6 :ph34r:

Bird may be the 19th ODI player in 4 games....

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah indeed. If it was, say, tenth ball and he'd had a chance to have a look what the ball was doing, then that'd be a different matter but on the first nut, I'd just say "well played" to the bowler and move on.
Was he not watching the game though? Even if he'd not done much homework on the bowler before the game, surely see Hughes and especially Hussey get out the way they did should've been making him think "No tight leaves early". More than anything it was just dumb cricket IMO, first ball or not.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
@CricketAus: Starting XI: Warner, Hughes, Clarke, Hussey, Bailey, Wade, Henriques, Johnson, Starc, McKay, Doherty, Maxwell (12) #CommBankODI