• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Sri Lanka in Australia 2012/2013

howardj

International Coach
I've heard this a lot lately, what is the basis for 2nd worst opening partnership?

Cowan/Warner - 18 inn, 718 runs @ 39.88 (1 hundred; 3 fifties)

Aren't these partnerships with min 18 innings worse?

Boon/Taylor - 19 inn, 686 runs @ 38.11 (1 hundred; 5 fifties)
Elliott/Taylor - 23 inn, 721 runs @ 31.34 (2 hundreds 4 fifties)
Dyson/Wood - 24 inn, 583 runs @ 25.34 (0 hundreds; 6 fifties)
Hilditch/Wood - 18 inn, 354 runs @ 20.82 (0 hundreds; 1 fifty)

Plus more recentlly

Hughes/Watson - 17inn, 646 runs @ 38.00 (2 hundreds; 4 fifties)
Hayden/Katich - 17 inn, 557 runs @ 34.81 (1 hundred; 2 fifties)
This

More broadly, Ed just stinks up the joint

#journeyman

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
When was the last time Australia had 3 of the top 6 with an average in the 30's

Cowan 32.77
Hughes 36.18
Watson 36.81

Are we the new England?

Edit: even worse is that it's 3 of the top 4
Probably for most of the mid to late 1980s only Border averaged over 40 in the lineup (Dean Jones probably the other one) - for example in the Gabba Test of 88/89 v the Windies the rest of the top 6 was Boon (still below 40 at this stage), Marsh, S. Waugh (still hadn't scored a century), Veletta, Wood.

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
Hopefully there's a good crowd over the weekend although don't count on it. iirc the first Hobart Test in 1989 (against Sri Lanka) was very well attended but since then but the rest generally all have really struggled to pull in a crowd.

That 1989 Test was a rare example of Sri Lanka bowling Australia out cheaply in Australia. In fact I think the only other time SL have bowled out Australia for under 350 in the 1st innings of a Test in Oz was in the opening match of the 2004 series.

Just on Herath, when he came onto the Test scene in 1999 he was noted as someone who had some mystery delivery that went the other way. Does he still bowl that?

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
If we have to go back to 88/89 to find a top 6 with averages that low then theres a whole generation of kiddies who no reference point to a non-dominant top 6. Wasn't that the series where Curtly went nuts at the WACA?

AlanJLegend

U19 Vice-Captain
Just started raining where I live (about 1km from Bellerive).

FUUUUUUUUU!

Hopefully there's a good crowd over the weekend although don't count on it. iirc the first Hobart Test in 1989 (against Sri Lanka) was very well attended but since then but the rest generally all have really struggled to pull in a crowd.
The crowd was pretty miserable yesterday, of the 6200-odd a few thousand were school children that get let in for free. That being said, basically what I'd have expected for a weekday in Tasmania. Would hope that today and tomorrow we might get closer to 10,000, but if the rain persists that will probably be dashed too.

I guess with our top order having relative success, Hughes doing well, Ponting not playing and the pitch not being a shocker our media needs something to complain about and crowd numbers seem to be a worthy target.

Last edited:

SS1

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I fully agree that Herath is absolutely nothing special at all.

He just plays on the inability of modern bats to hold their patience. He's accurate but thats about it. Any decent batsman should be able to knock him about. He simply isn't that good.

By the way, did everybody enjoy watching Hughes for some inexsplicable reason defending balls from miles outside off on both the back and front foot ?

Last edited:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Just on Herath, when he came onto the Test scene in 1999 he was noted as someone who had some mystery delivery that went the other way. Does he still bowl that?
Yeah he still has a doosra. He uses it very occasionally and is pretty accurate with it.

He's not amazing but he's good to watch for his classical spinner's dismissals. He gets good turn when it's there, but also gets good dip and drift. He's just good to watch when he's bowling well.

aussie tragic

International Captain
This

More broadly, Ed just stinks up the joint

#journeyman
The article is misleading as it states
"...in 17 innings together they have managed only four half-century stands. The only pair with a worse record who survived much beyond 17 innings worked on mud-heaps and matting in the 1950s."

And then he states "Only three opening combinations have had fewer half-century stands in their first 17 innings than Cowan and Warner."

So wouldn't that make them the 4th worst at that time.....not that it makes a case to keep them though

I think this list is a fairer guide (as of time of article), which shows them above some pretty famous partnerships

Partnership records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo

aussie tragic

International Captain
If we have to go back to 88/89 to find a top 6 with averages that low then theres a whole generation of kiddies who no reference point to a non-dominant top 6.
The 1989 ashes tour was the turning point. In the first test, Border and Jones were the only 2 averaging over 40, however all except Marsh averaged over 40 by the end of the series (Taylor, Boon and S. Waugh stepped up).

So maybe there's hope yet for the Aussie Batting order :)

Last edited:

AlanJLegend

U19 Vice-Captain
Rain stopped in Bellerive, can see blue sky! (Y)

Edit: FUUUUU it's back Tasmanian weather WAFC.

Last edited:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I love Michael Clarke, but that wicket makes this test watchable as a neutral observer.

SL have been gifted most of their wickets but credit to them for keeping it relatively tight.

Aus to get 415.