• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Sri Lanka in Australia 2012/2013

howardj

International Coach
When they rested Peter Siddle he had a tight hamstring and didn't want to risk going a bowler down in Perth.

When they rested Hilfenhaus he had a minor knee complaint, and figured it wasn't worth the risk of him breaking down (plus it was a nice excuse to get him out of the side).

In the past they may have played through the niggles, but with the depth of fast bowling options we've got, the selectors probably thought little was lost by leaving them out when they weren't 100%. Plus it gives guys like Jackson Bird experience for when someone does break down for a longer period.
John Hastings opening the bowling in the grand final of Test matches, poo poos that

In fact, Perth poo pood that

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
ODIs mate

No problem with guys resting in dead ODI rubbers, ftr

Not when the series is live though
I'm with you to some extent on the Test 'rotation' but there is way too much cricket played to not rest blokes from ODIs. You're getting kidding yourself if you think otherwise. If Clarke got injured playing five ODIs against Sri Lanka and then had to miss Tests against India it'd be absolutely absurd.

Valer

First Class Debutant
ODIs mate

No problem with guys resting in dead ODI rubbers, ftr

Not when the series is live though
benchmark00 said:
Exactly, no one above the age of 25 is being rested from test matches. You're yelling at clouds.

I couldn't care less about this / the WI ODIs/T20Is.

The reason they get time off is that your body needs time to recover even if you aren't injured. Even their blood will be stuffed (carrying less oxygen) after 6 test matches in this period of time.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah, I don't think Siddle and Hilfenhaus were rested or rotated from that Perth match at all; the selectors just thought the bowlers they picked were better options for that match given the fatigue levels of Siddle and Hilfenhaus at the time. I don't think it was a player management decision or a decision made with the future in mind; they just felt it was the best option for that match.

I think it was a bad call ftr and I said that at the time, but I don't think they were rested or rotated. The selectors just thought a fresh Hastings gave Australia a better chance of winning that Test than a buggered Siddle or Hilfenhaus.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think it was a bad call ftr and I said that at the time, but I don't think they were rested or rotated. The selectors just thought a fresh Hastings gave Australia a better chance of winning that Test than a buggered Siddle or Hilfenhaus.
just on this, turns out hazlewood came into the squad for that match with the sore foot, perhaps explaining why he didn't play after we all just assumed, given pattinson, starc etc, he would

Spikey

Contrary to some speculation, Hazlewood said the latest foot injury had no relation to him overlooked in favour of Victoria's John Hastings in Perth. Hazlewood had been suffering from soreness in his left foot prior to joining the Test squad in Perth but his condition deteriorated further while bowling in the nets at the WACA Ground.
Testing times indeed, but Hazlewood awaits his opportunity

deny it all you want buddy

Crazy Sam

International 12th Man
We have been rotating players through the ODI's since Mark Taylor was sacked as captain. I can recall Symonds/Watson/Harvey being rotated through the all-rounder position as well as the bats, bowlers and even Gilchrist rested here and there.

The only thing that is 'new' about 'rotation' is that it is happening with our pace bowlers in test matches now.

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah look the mistake was playing Hastings was playing Hastings (and not Bird), not with the resting of Siddle/Hilf.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah look the mistake was playing Hastings was playing Hastings (and not Bird), not with the resting of Siddle/Hilf.
This.

There's no way that the South African's second innings would have taken the game away from us so quickly if Bird were bowling instead of Hastings.

It's an indictment on our selectors that they did not know this from watching the shield. Bird is quicker, taller, more accurate and does more with the ball than Hastings. It's criminal that he wasn't picked.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
You have to seriously look at your system though, if your top bowler gets rested for fatigue for what is the deciding game of a marquee Test series. SA couldn't have had as easy a run of it at Perth if not for the new look attack.

Spikey

You have to seriously look at your system though, if your top bowler gets rested for fatigue for what is the deciding game of a marquee Test series. SA couldn't have had as easy a run of it at Perth if not for the new look attack.
i mean, a system that has you playing a test match in Perth 3 days after the end of another one is stupid, but the selectors can hardly do anything about that

uvelocity

International Coach
patto should have been rested for adelaide, not saying it would have made any difference to whether he got injured, but with the short turnaround he'd not have played in perth anyways

Crazy Sam

International 12th Man
i mean, a system that has you playing a test match in Perth 3 days after the end of another one is stupid, but the selectors can hardly do anything about that
What made that more ridiculous was the 9 or so day break between the 1st and 2nd tests!